Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 LS coupe/hatchback and have some rack questions..

1. trunk racks: I hear these can be hard on the rear bumper because of the weight that's put on it. I also tried fitting one on and found that the rear (oem) spoiler got in the way. Does anyone know any specific models that alleviate these problems and can hold 2 bikes?

2. roof racks: What's the situation with a roof rack and being able to open the sunroof? All of the racks I've seen look like they'd obstruct it from opening partially or completely. Any models/modifications that do work? I'd rather go the roof-route, to carry snowboards as well, but I need my sunroof! (yes, even in winter)

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Get the one that goes into a hitch.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
You nailed the two major problems. Of all the solutions out there I think the Yakima setup with the rear extension is the best one. I had a Thule (on my 4d) and it didn't have enough spread to fit a ski binding inbetween the cross bars. I could crack my sunroof with it but I couldn't slide it back that far. Check out the Yakima setup. Aaron E. has it, so he could get you some pics.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There was a post recently. Try a search.

I had a Yak with the extension kit (on a 2dr) and my moon roof still couldn't slide all the way open. It's also the same way on my 4dr. The towers are just too low on a Yak.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
If you get a roof one, please dont do what my dad did and drive into the garage with it still on lol (his car). Wasnt too much damage, but still cost a good 700 dollars to pull out the big dent in the roof and repaint.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a Saris Bones rack with hatch huggers (longer straps with special attachment points to keep from damaging the glass).

Technically, it doesn't fit my car, but if you adjust it right it does. It was cheap, its stable, it holds two bikes, and it doesn't mar the paint very much (if at all). It does however press on the bumper, but I only have one bike and its in the mid 20lbs range. I wouldn't go hanging a huffy off of it. You can adjust the straps so that they take most of the load off the bumper.

I would find a bike shop that will let you do a test fit so that you can get an idea of what you are getting first.

It is good for using every now and then to move my bike between states (college student here), but I would hate to take it on and off every weekend for local riding. Additionally, with this type of rack, you can't open the hatch without removing the whole rack.

I can bike to the trailhead here, so paying 500+ for a roof rack was excessive in my case. If the same is true for you, I would recomend the Saris product.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Thule system on a 3dr ls teg. No problems opening the sunroof all the way. However, with the noise generated from the wind going around the cross bars, you might not want to have the sunroof open. I usually remove my rack when not in use. Takes about 7-10 minutes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i think that any rack on any car looks ready dumb! thats why people buy trucks,they dont need ugly racks.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
why do you need a rack, can't you just fold the seats down and stick the bike in there? or do you plan to have more than 2 passengers or luggage?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Guys guys.... here.
Rack Haus

Yakima will have a better fit than Thule will. First youll have to do a stretch kit if you have a coupe, which is fine. The Q-towers will clear the sunroof. Depends on what you put on the rack.Also you can still open it, i know b/c i sell these racks and i just did this tower for a women with a 2003 civic coupe today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.