Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 integra and it comes with 195 45 16, i bought 2 new tires 205 50 16 cause they where out of stock and i needed tires asap! would it be better to have the bigger tires in the front or back, or does it not matter?

·
Premium Member
5,714 Posts
I dont think an half an inch bigger then stock is going to rub unless hes slammed.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
^^^ what he said, I'd test. Thats quite significantly bigger though, I run 205 50 15, and still rub when turning sharp, but am moderately lowered....

I'd say if you're lowered at all, play it save with them on the back till you can sell them or trade them on craigslist or here.

I'm curious if bigger tires in the back would have any real noticeable effect on under/oversteer...

·
Registered
105 Posts
i had some aftermarket rims on my teg when i bought it. the rear tires rubbed on the back fenders because the offset is wrong. i m not sure if they would rub on yous or not tho.

i would try them on the front first and if they dont work then throw them on the back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i've got 205/45/16 on my slips in the back and my stock snow flakes up front with 195/65they rub up front on real tight turns but other then that it rides fine i'm gonne deal with the rub till spring because my stock rims have some real good snow tires on emi cracked my other 2 slips if your wondering why1.75" Front 1.5" Rear on H&R Springs

·
Registered
2 Posts
the height is the problem there, but normally i'd run wider tire wherever the driven wheel(s) are. also, having a wider track in front has helped me reduce some understeer on every car i've owned. persoannly i hate the rear stagger crap on fwd cars.

·
Registered
561 Posts
the car is designed to have the same tire width front and rear. Thus, optimally, you would have teh same in front and rear. Your car is not RWD so that it would really benefit from the extra rubber in the back. Extra rubber on an under-powered car simply equates to more road surface friction and may even slow your acceleration a slight bit.

Just spring for 2 (or 4 new) more tires to match what you have.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Hell, I'd spring for four new tires if I were you, just to have the correct size all around. Both pairs of your tires are a bit too big and you could benefit with switching to 205/45/16s, as you'll have less sidewall to deal with (and likely a bit less weight too!). If you have to stick with what you have, I would just put the wider tires in the front if they don't rub and just not push the car at all until you get a more correctly-sized set of tires. The car's handling at/close to the limit could be unpredictable with those taller tires and uneven widths (compounded with an atypical suspension setup, this could be even more weird, it just depends on what you're running).

Also, I don't see why ppl who are moderately lowered are rubbing at full lock with not-so-huge tires...I'm running 205/50/15s and no wheel gap front, 1/2 finger gap in the rear and I've never scraped a tire anywhere before. I'm also not running any camber correction (which is totally fine!), which could be helping me here...

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
KaBlookie on Mar/05/10 said:
Hell, I'd spring for four new tires if I were you, just to have the correct size all around. Both pairs of your tires are a bit too big and you could benefit with switching to 205/45/16s, as you'll have less sidewall to deal with (and likely a bit less weight too!). If you have to stick with what you have, I would just put the wider tires in the front if they don't rub and just not push the car at all until you get a more correctly-sized set of tires. The car's handling at/close to the limit could be unpredictable with those taller tires and uneven widths (compounded with an atypical suspension setup, this could be even more weird, it just depends on what you're running).<br /><br />Also, I don't see why ppl who are moderately lowered are rubbing at full lock with not-so-huge tires...I'm running 205/50/15s and no wheel gap front, 1/2 finger gap in the rear and I've never scraped a tire anywhere before. I'm also not running any camber correction (which is totally fine!), which could be helping me here...
all that depends on your offset. and camber correction will cause you to scrape at full u turn on those tire if they're oem spec(mine did), and i'm tuckin' tire and on slammed thread.

op, sounds like you got everything figured out. but try front, it'll do wonders for gripping. but watch you speedometer, you'll be going faster than what it says!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts