Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of lip is the best to get... abs plastic, urethane or fiberglass? the streets here are not that smooth and I don't want it to crack easily... Thanks

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
gnush*t has basically put in the order of sturdiness. under penalty of death, do not get fiberglass. it cracks when you stare too hard at it.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
gnush*t on Feb/27/04 said:
urethane> abs > cf > fiberglass
IMO ABS plastic is greater in strength than urethane.
I read somehwere that urethane will start to warp and even let at the 100*F mark

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I don't know if even on an extremely hot day 100+, that the urathane would ever get to that temperature.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
rwaggie on Feb/27/04 said:
Front and rear bumpers are made of urethane / polyurethane on most cars.
You're right, our bumpers are made of polyurethane, so if you think polyurethane can't stand heat...think again
urethane is the best and will stay that way, its the only material that lip are produced in that WILL flex!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Polyurethane is the best as far as durability is concerned.

However you need to be extra carefull with polyurethane when painting it. Make sure the shop you have it painted at knows what they are doing and offers a warranty on the work. Explain to them that you expect the part to be able to flex ALOT without the paint cracking off of it. There is a additive called a flex agent that can be added to the paint for this purpose a lot of newer paint do not even requires this to be added. I used dupont on my rear bumper got smashed into and the paint did not crack or peel even though the bumper now has a hole in it. Also prep work is very important a lot of companies use differant chemicals and silicone in the molds to release the body part so it needs to be properley preped before it is painted. So if it is the right paint job on polyurethane then it will the shiznit think about it what do we all love

O.E. QUALITY FROM HoNDA
Well O.E. from Honda is Polyurethane

·
Registered
539 Posts
fiberglass is poor mans looks for a car, cheap quality, looks like sh*t, and if u lean on it wrong or anything u will get spider cracks or crack it entirely!, fiberglass sucks, i had fibeglass fenders, and full kit, b4 i realized this sh*t wasnt cool, them went with oem sides and rear lips and frotn lip, oem sides and rear are made out of abs, but a much more sturdy and durable abs then all these aftermarket abs copycats, and the front lip is polyurethane, polyurethane can bend which is good, fiberglass wont bend it will just snap =D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
eckotyper on Feb/27/04 said:
fiberglass is poor mans looks for a car, cheap quality, looks like sh*t, and if u lean on it wrong or anything u will get spider cracks or crack it entirely!, fiberglass sucks, i had fibeglass fenders, and full kit, b4 i realized this sh*t wasnt cool, them went with oem sides and rear lips and frotn lip, oem sides and rear are made out of abs, but a much more sturdy and durable abs then all these aftermarket abs copycats, and the front lip is polyurethane, polyurethane can bend which is good, fiberglass wont bend it will just snap =D
then you bought a cheap kit, a true bomex kit is fiberglass and they dont make cheap or low quality kits

1 - 15 of 15 Posts