Team Integra Forums banner

Best tranny for a JDM B16A?

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  IntegraRsNj 
#1 ·
Hey whats up guys, I got a JDM B16A with a GSR tranny jus wanted to know if anyone thinks there is a better tranny out there for this motor

#4 ·
Louse76 on Feb/03/04 said:
Whatever has the tightest ratio. Tighter ratio = more torque to the ground.

Also, I see you have a '90. Is this GSR tranny a hydro? If so, it's not going to work!
It's probably a B17 tranny. Anyway, Louse is right. You want the tightest gearing possible up to the point where upshifting doesn't land your rpm's in the wrong part of your power band. Since you have a B16, then the tranny from the B16 would be a better match than the GSR tranny.

#8 ·
If you consider a shorter geared tranny, remember that cruising on the highway will kill gas milage.
If you don't care, by all means get a JDM ITR tranny.

#10 ·
Louse76 on Feb/16/04 said:
Much credible info on the site has shown that that is not as true as most have thought.

Also, if you were paying attention, you would know that a JDM ITR tranny won't fit on his teg.
Ah, the G2. great car as well as the B16 motor. Maybe I wasn't paying too close attentions, could the gearset fit? or the final drive?

Maybe we should pay attention to exactly what he wants to accomplish with the car before recommending him this tranny and that tranny. That's what I should have recommended.

#11 ·
I am kind of in the same boat. I have a b16a motor/ecu but no tranny.

I think what we're both looking for is a honda or acura tranny that is USDM/cable that will bolt up to the b16a but with a gear ratio that is more suitable for it than an ls tranny.

i.e. we want to get a tranny that will work at a local junk yard instead of spending 400+ shipping on the net for a Y1.

#12 ·
hpracing007 on Feb/16/04 said:
Quote: Louse76 on Feb/16/04Much credible info on the site has shown that that is not as true as most have thought.
Also, if you were paying attention, you would know that a JDM ITR tranny won't fit on his teg.
Ah, the G2. great car as well as the B16 motor. Maybe I wasn't paying too close attentions, could the gearset fit? or the final drive?

Maybe we should pay attention to exactly what he wants to accomplish with the car before recommending him this tranny and that tranny. That's what I should have recommended.
[/quote]
Damn skippy that's exactly it. I just gathered some pretty good info from my brother in law he's a mechanic and told me that anything other than the stock G2 tranny is gonna be a bother to install because it will require different mounts and i think he said the mounts would have to be relocated and he also said that if you got alot of horses runnin on the B16 then the stock tranny will do. Any truth to this?

#14 ·
BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/22/04 said:
Damn skippy that's exactly it. I just gathered some pretty good info from my brother in law he's a mechanic and told me that anything other than the stock G2 tranny is gonna be a bother to install because it will require different mounts and i think he said the mounts would have to be relocated and he also said that if you got alot of horses runnin on the B16 then the stock tranny will do. Any truth to this?
Everything except the last line is pretty much right. Not necessarily a G2 tranny, but anything other than a B-series cable tranny is difficult to install.

What are you talking about in the last statement? Are you implying that if you were running a high powered B16 motor is only when you should use a stock tranny? What is alot of horses? What stock tranny? Clarify, this is the internet, not the forum of wizards and mind readers.

#15 ·
I also vote for the JDM Type R Tranny if you have the funds. My friend has a JDM B16A in his 4 door civic with a JDM Type R Tranny and that tranny works wonders. Just the other day he ran a 15.2 at the track with some sh*tty tires. one of my other friends drove it and got a 15.1 flat out of it. He just found out that his torque mount on the tranny broke so by getting that fixed he should be running 14's.

#17 ·
dexmix on Feb/23/04 said:
Quote: hpracing007 on Feb/15/04If you consider a shorter geared tranny, remember that cruising on the highway will kill gas milage. If you don't care, by all means get a JDM ITR tranny.
rpm's do not dictate gas mileage. throttle position would be more correct.
But dont they pretty much go hand in hand? Cant have high RPMs with out givin it some gas.
My $.02

#18 ·
timpac167 on Feb/23/04 said:
Quote: BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/22/04Damn skippy that's exactly it. I just gathered some pretty good info from my brother in law he's a mechanic and told me that anything other than the stock G2 tranny is gonna be a bother to install because it will require different mounts and i think he said the mounts would have to be relocated and he also said that if you got alot of horses runnin on the B16 then the stock tranny will do. Any truth to this?
Everything except the last line is pretty much right. Not necessarily a G2 tranny, but anything other than a B-series cable tranny is difficult to install.

What are you talking about in the last statement? Are you implying that if you were running a high powered B16 motor is only when you should use a stock tranny? What is alot of horses? What stock tranny? Clarify, this is the internet, not the forum of wizards and mind readers.
It should'nt be that hard to figure out..I meant if you're running a very high powered B16 (turbo charged,head work blah blah blah) then any tranny will do including the stock G2 tranny(RS,LS etc...)

#19 ·
BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/25/04 said:
It should'nt be that hard to figure out..I meant if you're running a very high powered B16 (turbo charged,head work blah blah blah) then any tranny will do including the stock G2 tranny(RS,LS etc...)
Try using a b16 with the A1 tranny from 90-91 or the rs/ls/gs tranny from 92-93.... i gaurantee you.. it will be unbelievably slow.

#20 ·
BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/25/04 said:
It isn't hard for YOU to figure it out because these are thoughts in your head. You have to convey information to others properly otherwise the lines of communication become poor. Similar to ass-wipe professors who know their sh*t but can't teach a college class a day in their life.

With that said, the statement that any available tranny will for a high powered B16 is not true always. You have to look at the powerband of your engine.

Case in point #1. B16 turbo charged engine running a close gear ratio B16 tranny. Sure the close geared transmission lays down more torque than an LS tranny. But what if your redline upshift lands you in the part of your powerband that has so much torque that you wheel spin every gear? You'd need to solve the problem of traction lost at every shift.

Case in point #2. A B16 engine built up the wazoooo in NA mods, all things you can think possible. Slap on that LS tranny. Your B16 power band is, for example, 6000-8000rpm. Shifting at redline will leave you at these RPM's

Second : 4700
Third : 5300
Fourth : 6090
Fifth : 5900

For second and third gear, at a redline upshift, you have to spend roughly 1000 RPM's climbing back up into your powerband.

Point is, either you pick your tranny and redline desired on your motor, then you build your motor around that powerband. Or you could always build up your motor, pick the tranny you want, then tune your motor to the powerband that fits the tranny.

#23 ·
dexmix on Feb/23/04 said:
Quote: hpracing007 on Feb/15/04If you consider a shorter geared tranny, remember that cruising on the highway will kill gas milage. If you don't care, by all means get a JDM ITR tranny.
rpm's do not dictate gas mileage. throttle position would be more correct.
Are you 100% sure about that? So you you have to near identical Integras. Same year, trim, and options. Now lets say these cars are both LS's. one has a stock LS tranny the other has a Type R/Si tranny. Gas economy will for sure be affect when cruising on the highway. . .like hpracing007 said. The difference is that at 65 the LS tranny there will be less RPM's. Where as the Type R tranny will be at a higher RPM. Now two cars going indentical speeds, the car that is in a lower gear is revving more than the other that is in a higher or in this case the one with the tighter gearing from the type R.

#24 ·
hpracing007 on Feb/16/04 said:
Sure, but let's be realistic, how many people swap gears around? Why buy two trannies? And the b16 isn't THAT great of a motor, it the tight trannies that it is usually mated with along with its higher redline that make it any faster than the b18 non-vtec motors.

#25 ·
timpac167 on Feb/23/04 said:
Quote: BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/22/04Damn skippy that's exactly it. I just gathered some pretty good info from my brother in law he's a mechanic and told me that anything other than the stock G2 tranny is gonna be a bother to install because it will require different mounts and i think he said the mounts would have to be relocated and he also said that if you got alot of horses runnin on the B16 then the stock tranny will do. Any truth to this?
Everything except the last line is pretty much right.
Everything is pretty much right? How about no!

Anything other than the stock G2 tranny will be hard to install? So you're saying the DIRECT FIT of a JDM B16 or USDM B17 tranny would be problematic?

And if you 'got a lot of horses' then you should keep the looser tranny in order to make sure you don't go fast? He doesn't know anything about 'a lot of horses' rather 'a lot of horsesh*t'. Stop listening to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.