Team Integra Forums banner

Best tranny for a JDM B16A?

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  IntegraRsNj 
Louse76 on Feb/03/04 said:
Whatever has the tightest ratio. Tighter ratio = more torque to the ground.

Also, I see you have a '90. Is this GSR tranny a hydro? If so, it's not going to work!
It's probably a B17 tranny. Anyway, Louse is right. You want the tightest gearing possible up to the point where upshifting doesn't land your rpm's in the wrong part of your power band. Since you have a B16, then the tranny from the B16 would be a better match than the GSR tranny.

BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/22/04 said:
Damn skippy that's exactly it. I just gathered some pretty good info from my brother in law he's a mechanic and told me that anything other than the stock G2 tranny is gonna be a bother to install because it will require different mounts and i think he said the mounts would have to be relocated and he also said that if you got alot of horses runnin on the B16 then the stock tranny will do. Any truth to this?
Everything except the last line is pretty much right. Not necessarily a G2 tranny, but anything other than a B-series cable tranny is difficult to install.

What are you talking about in the last statement? Are you implying that if you were running a high powered B16 motor is only when you should use a stock tranny? What is alot of horses? What stock tranny? Clarify, this is the internet, not the forum of wizards and mind readers.

BLuE_By_YoU on Feb/25/04 said:
It should'nt be that hard to figure out..I meant if you're running a very high powered B16 (turbo charged,head work blah blah blah) then any tranny will do including the stock G2 tranny(RS,LS etc...)
It isn't hard for YOU to figure it out because these are thoughts in your head. You have to convey information to others properly otherwise the lines of communication become poor. Similar to ass-wipe professors who know their sh*t but can't teach a college class a day in their life.

With that said, the statement that any available tranny will for a high powered B16 is not true always. You have to look at the powerband of your engine.

Case in point #1. B16 turbo charged engine running a close gear ratio B16 tranny. Sure the close geared transmission lays down more torque than an LS tranny. But what if your redline upshift lands you in the part of your powerband that has so much torque that you wheel spin every gear? You'd need to solve the problem of traction lost at every shift.

Case in point #2. A B16 engine built up the wazoooo in NA mods, all things you can think possible. Slap on that LS tranny. Your B16 power band is, for example, 6000-8000rpm. Shifting at redline will leave you at these RPM's

Second : 4700
Third : 5300
Fourth : 6090
Fifth : 5900

For second and third gear, at a redline upshift, you have to spend roughly 1000 RPM's climbing back up into your powerband.

Point is, either you pick your tranny and redline desired on your motor, then you build your motor around that powerband. Or you could always build up your motor, pick the tranny you want, then tune your motor to the powerband that fits the tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.