Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best secuirity system in your own opinions. The alarm i had didn't work well and i want to make a better decision on getting an alarm this time. I would appreciate it if you told me what kind and some of its main features. Im looking for something w/ a proximity sensor and something that will go off when glass breaks. And can i put a pager on any alarm system??? Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
57 Posts
You should check out a Boomerang security system. I'm considering getting a Boomerang 2 system. The way it works is that they hide a tracking beam inside your car (they claim even the owner doesn't know where its hidden) and they give you a key pad thingy to attach to your keys. The idea is that if youre driving your car, then obviously the key pad should be moving with you. So when the monitoring center sees that your car is moving and the key pad isn't, it means someone has stolen your car and they send the cops out. They claim to guarantee your car back within an avg of one hour. If your car happens to get stolen, they will give you a new system on your new car and won't charge you monitoring fees. And yes, btw you do have to pay monitoring fees. I'm from Toronto, Canada and I checked the prices out. It costs around $550 can. to install and $12.00 can for monthly monit. fees.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Furthermore, Boomerang can't detect if someone has broken into your car. So yeah it sucks in that way. Youll have to determine what kind of protection youre looking for. My bro's teg has a pretty cool alarm system that comes with a screen pad that lets him know which parts of the car has been tampered with. So for instance, sometimes cars drive by and the vibrations will sound his alarm off. He just looks at his screen pad that beeps to him to let him know the alarm has gone off. If it doesn't show that someone has attempted to get in the car, then he doesn't really need to worry about it. It works at least 5 km (more than 3 miles) radius....cost around $800 can.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
When you leave your car, pull the coil/d-cap wire and stick it in your back pocket. This will disable the car pretty well :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Viper or Cliffard it will cost around 200 to 400 and usaaly Intalation is free.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm looking into an Alpine alarm from circuit city. Basically had all the same functions as the vipers but for a little less money.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
LowJack it has a tracking device if your car is stolen its recover right away. If you have the money go for it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't get an Alpine Security System. I got that about almost 1 1/2 year ago on my GSR, and it had problems. Wasn't that great, remote battery kept dying, the siren failed, and had to get a new one. When I got my Type R I spent more but was happy with it. Get the Viper 600 ESP + Proximity Sensor. Costs about $500 at Circuit City but it is worth it. Most reliably and best for your teg.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't get an Alpine Security System. I got that about almost 1 1/2 year ago on my GSR, and it had problems. Wasn't that great, remote battery kept dying, the siren failed, and had to get a new one. When I got my Type R I spent more but was happy with it. Get the Viper 600 ESP + Proximity Sensor. Costs about $500 at Circuit City but it is worth it. Most reliably and best for your teg. Don't be cheap on your car. Your car deserves the best.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've had a clifford concept 40 on my car for the last six years. absolutely no problems with the alarm or the car. It has dual proximity sensors (stand too close or stick you hand in the car and the alarm goes off)

You can add a digital tilt sensor (the car gets jacked up half an inch the alarm goes off) The proximity sensor keeps them from getting close.

Glass break sensor (piezo sensor) recognizes breaking glass sound)

Engine start cut off (car won't start when alarm goes off)

stealth valet programmable switch (your personal code)

The latest model should run you about $300 bucks and I would have an expert install it. Alarms are tricky things for novices to do. There are people who can do them, but most are hard without prior experience.

Pagers on alarms have been around for a long time. I think there is a cliffored model that has one. The clifford blackjax system is another way to go.

Here's the website for clifford: alot of alarms...choose the one that suits you best.

http://www.clifford.com/index.html

·
Registered
910 Posts
i have a viper 550 esp for 2 years now. i've had no problems with it. it came with a remote starter and has extra channels for you to add anything you want, control the windows/sunroof, proximity sensors, pager, etc.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sterling McCall Acura in Houston quoted me $500 installed for a Lojack. I declined...it doesn't stop the car from getting stolen and the police are less than responsive. Also, the coverage area is spotty in places and non-existent outside major metropolitan areas, so the car likely won't show up on their scan. Furthermore, when they install the Lojack, they put a sticker on the window that TELLS THE THIEF your car has Lojack...all they have to do is find the unit and rip the thing off! What a joke! A total waste if you ask me. Better to focus on keeping the car from getting stolen than getting it back AFTER it's stolen. If it were cheaper, maybe it would be a nice toy to have...otherwise, nah.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
integra00gsr on Sep/05/02 said:
does anyone know how much lo jack actually cost?
Dealer MSRP for LoJack Early Warning is $795. once installed, you register your system with LoJack and select one of three flexible service plans.

Service Fee Options:
one-time fee: $250.00*
Annual fee: $115.00
Monthly fee: $9.95

click here for more info

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i still think it'd be worth it. imagine the time consumed in trying to locate it. the sticker alone should deter most thieves i bet. as for the price, doesnt your insurance give discounts short of liability only?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts