Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hope this isnt off topic and is deleted.. but i think its relevant to many of us...

what is the best radar detector for the value... i know valentine is a lot of cash and great but i dont have a lot to blow on this.... thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Valentine 1, Passport 8500 in a close second, and a Bel is also a good choice. They cost around 200. 300 for the Passport, and well, you know the v1 costs around 400 new.

I'm currently looking for a v1 as a matter of fact for that very reason, it's the best.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
The passport 8500 is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
I think the bogey counter or whatever it's called is a necessity. That, when joined with the directional arrows, give you a pretty good chance to slow down before getting caught.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Good point Dan, but who doesn't speed?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The best radar is the eye and knowing your route and where the cops sit. Most people think radars make them invulnerable to cops and that's why they get caught. Save the money, put it on mods for your rides and drive safely.....don't be lazy and rely on a radar detector.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Link. After reading several of the threads that came up in that search, it seems that the V1 is the best radar detector. I used to have a Passport 8500 and it was decent but not nearly as accurate as the V1 my ex-stepdad had. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Indeed, your best radar is your own mind.

People think they are unstopable and don't look around for cops with a radar detector. But it doesn't matter, when they nab you, your radar detector is too late.

The best way to avoid speeding is:
not speeding at all!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
hmm... i had a really nice Bel radar detector... but i had it stolen at school a couple weeks ago... maybe you can find it on ebay or recycler and buy it off those f**king thieves.... =)

ian

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
integragsr6 on Mar/16/04 said:
The best radar is the eye and knowing your route and where the cops sit. Most people think radars make them invulnerable to cops and that's why they get caught. Save the money, put it on mods for your rides and drive safely.....don't be lazy and rely on a radar detector.
The title of the thread is "best radar detector" not "your opinion on radar detectors" so let's keep it at that. It's well known that your eyes are the best detector or whatever, let's not be naive.

Sometimes you go on vacation though or travel a few hundred miles away from home and you don't know where the cops sit. And it's very easy to hit 80 while cruising and not realize it.

So which is cheaper...a 200 dollar ticket, and raised insurance, or a top of the line radar detector like Passport 8500 or V1?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Let's see the dictionary for this:
best=better than good (almost superior)
radar=A method of detecting distant objects and determining their position, velocity, or other characteristics by analysis of very high frequency radio waves reflected from their surfaces.
detector=one that detects, especially a mechanical, electrical, or chemical device that automatically identifies and records or registers a stimulus, such as an environmental change in pressure or temperature, an electric signal, or radiation from a radioactive material.
*Definitions are taken from the American Heritage Dictionary*

With the definition best, it is very subjective and arguementative. Often described through experience or opinions. Radar meaning a method of detecting distant object could also mean chemical stimulus, mechanical, or the human anatomy for example the eye. Detector meaning what one that detects especially mechanically, electrically or chemically but not always can identify and record those seen or measured through the radar. In my conclusion to put it in lame terms, the eye is a radar device in itself to sense speed, heat, etc.. Yes it is true that you won't know where the cops are if you travel on vacation but some states, radar detector devices such as bell, V1, etc. are illegal to use. The best solution is the eye b/c as stated people with those devices get lazy and don't rely on their humanly senses. Which is cheaper a 200 dollar ticket or a radar detector.....i'm not saying you shouldn't get one or should but i'm stating that no matter what system you use, you're not invulnerable to the cops.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
integragsr6 on Mar/16/04 said:
Let's see the dictionary for this:
best=better than good (almost superior)
radar=A method of detecting distant objects and determining their position, velocity, or other characteristics by analysis of very high frequency radio waves reflected from their surfaces.
detector=one that detects, especially a mechanical, electrical, or chemical device that automatically identifies and records or registers a stimulus, such as an environmental change in pressure or temperature, an electric signal, or radiation from a radioactive material.
*Definitions are taken from the American Heritage Dictionary*

With the definition best, it is very subjective and arguementative. Often described through experience or opinions. Radar meaning a method of detecting distant object could also mean chemical stimulus, mechanical, or the human anatomy for example the eye. Detector meaning what one that detects especially mechanically, electrically or chemically but not always can identify and record those seen or measured through the radar. In my conclusion to put it in lame terms, the eye is a radar device in itself to sense speed, heat, etc.. Yes it is true that you won't know where the cops are if you travel on vacation but some states, radar detector devices such as bell, V1, etc. are illegal to use. The best solution is the eye b/c as stated people with those devices get lazy and don't rely on their humanly senses. Which is cheaper a 200 dollar ticket or a radar detector.....i'm not saying you shouldn't get one or should but i'm stating that no matter what system you use, you're not invulnerable to the cops.
Ah, somebody wants to bring logic into an arguement.

Your logic is flawed.
"With the definition best, it is very subjective and arguementative. Often described through experience or opinions."
You took a phrase, "Best Radar Detector" and seperated it making it lose it's original meaning. The term "radar detector" is in our contemporary society, "...a radio receiver that whistles, beeps and chirps when it gets a signal on the same frequency as the radar band. Besides flashing lights, the main differences between the various models is sensitivity and false alarm rejection. The two are mutually exclusive to a large extent."source I think that is what we were all refering to.

"the eye is a radar device in itself to sense speed, heat, etc.. "
By definition, the eye is "an organ of sight" (webster) nothing more. It's an organ which transfer all it receives to the brain for interpretaion. Eyes on it's own can't sense anything. It interacts with the central nervious system which gives you that sense. It does not sense heat by they way. Also "radar" as your definition above says, detects, "very high frequency radio waves reflected from their surfaces." Our eyes can't do that.

Oh and I want a valentine one by the way. I'm currently radar detectorless at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
viperblue99gsr on Mar/16/04 said:
Bel is probably the best brand to buy. The vector 95 is hot.
The bel is considered the best bang for the buck...obviously some of the downfalls of V1 and Passport are their prices. But you pay for what you get. only the Passport 8500 even comes close to the V1 standards and it's been proven in many tests.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Your logic is flawed.
"With the definition best, it is very subjective and arguementative. Often described through experience or opinions."
You took a phrase, "Best Radar Detector" and seperated it making it lose it's original meaning. The term "radar detector" is in our contemporary society, "...a radio receiver that whistles, beeps and chirps when it gets a signal on the same frequency as the radar band. Besides flashing lights, the main differences between the various models is sensitivity and false alarm rejection. The two are mutually exclusive to a large extent."source I think that is what we were all refering to.

"the eye is a radar device in itself to sense speed, heat, etc.. "
By definition, the eye is "an organ of sight" (webster) nothing more. It's an organ which transfer all it receives to the brain for interpretaion. Eyes on it's own can't sense anything. It interacts with the central nervious system which gives you that sense. It does not sense heat by they way. Also "radar" as your definition above says, detects, "very high frequency radio waves reflected from their surfaces." Our eyes can't do that.

Oh and I want a valentine one by the way. I'm currently radar detectorless at the moment.
Yes i know that he is referring to the radar detector device such as V1, Bell, etc. What my MAIN point on the subject is that no matter what if the cop wants to catch you, he/she will if you are disobeying the law. My opinion is that the best solution is to stay safe and keep your eyes out. My logic is not flawed because as you can see from the American Heritage or any other dictionary, there is no such definition for "radar detector". To find a definition that has not meaning, it's best to break it down to it's simplest parts. on the subject of the eye, it is an organ of sight and can't do anything without sending info to the brain for interpretation but then a radar detector device can't do nothing without power so they are both dependant on some variable. Though we can't detect "very high frequency radio waves reflected from their surfaces", we can determine position or how fast or slow an object is moving. The keyword in the definition for radar is OR not AND or oNLY. You are right that the eye can't sense heat but what i meant was that the eye can see heat through steam or color of the stove.

As far as the discussion of the eye as a radar detector goes, i don't want to cause a controversy so if anyone has a disagreement with my statement please feel free to PM me. Thank you

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.