Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been driving a 2000 ls sedan for about a few months. I'm looking to make a bit more power since I got clapped by a 2000 v6 accord. That said, I wanted to put a vtec head on the engine and do some weight reduction, but I read somewhere that the vtec head isn't safe for the block so I wanted to kswap it, so here I am looking for opinion and build tips. I daily drive it so I want some reliable power.

·
Administrator
3,835 Posts
Why in the world would a VTEC head not be "safe"? That's some misinformation. LS/VTEC setup have been around for 24+yrs. I'd love to know what makes them "unsafe".

What are your power goals?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why in the world would a VTEC head not be "safe"? That's some misinformation. LS/VTEC setup have been around for 24+yrs. I'd love to know what makes them "unsafe".

What are your power goals?
I heard that the vtec head with non vtec body cant hold too much power and that it would basically implode on itself. As for the power I'm trying to get as much as possible without having to ruin the car, around 300 to 400hp.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There's so much information out there on LS/VTEC. Majority of people went this route that had LS motors. For B series you want 3-400 HP, think about boosting that, including a vtec head. Then your probably going to have to rebuild the motor, ecu, injectors, and tune. More money. Kswap? Find a motor with tranny, motor mounts, ecu, and harness. That's just for a stock motor. Now you want to go 3-400 HP with that, again some sort of forced induction. Cost for both will be close.

·
Administrator
3,835 Posts
I heard that the vtec head with non vtec body cant hold too much power and that it would basically implode on itself. As for the power I'm trying to get as much as possible without having to ruin the car, around 300 to 400hp.
So sad that people with no knowledge make comments like that. Those setups have been around for years, and are extremely reliable when done correctly.

As stated above, if you're looking for 300-400whp, you'll need to go forced induction, and do some internal upgrades, along with the added cost the components required for boosting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's so much information out there on LS/VTEC. Majority of people went this route that had LS motors. For B series you want 3-400 HP, think about boosting that, including a vtec head. Then your probably going to have to rebuild the motor, ecu, injectors, and tune. More money. Kswap? Find a motor with tranny, motor mounts, ecu, and harness. That's just for a stock motor. Now you want to go 3-400 HP with that, again some sort of forced induction. Cost for both will be close.
I was thinking about putting twins in it and maybe an awd conversion, I want it to be good on the highway and on hillclimb, probably shoulda mentioned that too😂. I plan on living on ramen for a few months to get the car built so money isn't really my biggest concern, just keeping my car from going to the graveyard is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So sad that people with no knowledge make comments like that. Those setups have been around for years, and are extremely reliable when done correctly.

As stated above, if you're looking for 300-400whp, you'll need to go forced induction, and do some internal upgrades, along with the added cost the components required for boosting.
I do
[/QUOTE
I read up on as much as I can but most of them are old and I don't know if builds have changed from then to now. So for the head swap I might have to rebuild the engine to hold it?

·
Administrator
3,835 Posts
I do

I read up on as much as I can but most of them are old and I don't know if builds have changed from then to now. So for the head swap I might have to rebuild the engine to hold it?
Please search. LS/VTEC setups have been asked & discussed numerous times, and answered:

Team-Integra: LS/VTEC

·
Administrator
3,835 Posts
I was thinking about putting twins in it and maybe an awd conversion, I want it to be good on the highway and on hillclimb, probably shoulda mentioned that too😂. I plan on living on ramen for a few months to get the car built so money isn't really my biggest concern, just keeping my car from going to the graveyard is.
Twins? As in twin turbo? For what reason???? You have an engine with a bank of 4 cylinders. What would twin turbos do that a single turbo can't?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like you're all over the place with what you want to do. 300-400whp takes a lot of planning, and choosing the correct quality parts. It's not cheap, and certainly not easy. I know this first hand. When I thought I had and knew everything that I needed to get to that goal, curve balls got thrown at me. Now that I'm at 770whp, the car is a completely different animal, and barely enjoyable. It's many many late nights of researching, and researching, and even more researching, and a big wallet. Even if you spread your goals out over the course of years, its time & money. Thousands of $$$, and 15yrs later, I've made it a weekend cruiser, that's it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Twins? As in twin turbo? For what reason???? You have an engine with a bank of 4 cylinders. What would twin turbos do that a single turbo can't?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like you're all over the place with what you want to do. 300-400whp takes a lot of planning, and choosing the correct quality parts. It's not cheap, and certainly not easy. I know this first hand. When I thought I had and knew everything that I needed to get to that goal, curve balls got thrown at me. Now that I'm at 770whp, the car is a completely different animal, and barely enjoyable. It's many many late nights of researching, and researching, and even more researching, and a big wallet. Even if you spread your goals out over the course of years, its time & money. Thousands of $$$, and 15yrs later, I've made it a weekend cruiser, that's it.
See thats what I need to research, I want the twin turbo for the faster spool but I haven't checked the advantages of the single. And its fine is youa sk me questions, I'm the one who isn't being clear😂. I do have alot I want t do I just don't know how to do it. I like driving through the mountains alot and every two years where I live there's a hillclimb event, so I want to build it for hillclimb, the awd thing is if I have extra money and time for it because fwd is already good for hillclimb. For the engine I've looked up pricing for the kswap and can't find anything concrete. As for the lsvtec, that kinda looks like my option rn.

·
Administrator
3,835 Posts
See thats what I need to research, I want the twin turbo for the faster spool but I haven't checked the advantages of the single. And its fine is youa sk me questions, I'm the one who isn't being clear😂. I do have alot I want t do I just don't know how to do it. I like driving through the mountains alot and every two years where I live there's a hillclimb event, so I want to build it for hillclimb, the awd thing is if I have extra money and time for it because fwd is already good for hillclimb. For the engine I've looked up pricing for the kswap and can't find anything concrete. As for the lsvtec, that kinda looks like my option rn.
On a 4cyl, there is absolutely no advantage to a twin turbo setup. Additionally, its not practical. Even if you could make it work, there's no faster spool from a 1.8L engine on a TT application. There are plenty of turbo options for 300-400whp applications that will give quick spooling, especially ball-bearing turbos.

Historically, twin turbo applications in the 90's were beneficial on engines that had bigger displacement, and were sequential. They included one smaller turbo for quick spooling, and a larger turbo when RPM's were in a range to take over. They were better suited for 90's technology.

Now, technology with turbos are far more advanced than what they were 25-30yrs ago. Even current day twin-turbo applications are utilized on V6 & V8 applications, where each turbo sits on each side of the engine bank, and are exactly the same size. Sequential setups really aren't utilized anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On a 4cyl, there is absolutely no advantage to a twin turbo setup. Additionally, its not practical. Even if you could make it work, there's no faster spool from a 1.8L engine on a TT application. There are plenty of turbo options for 300-400whp applications that will give quick spooling, especially ball-bearing turbos.

Historically, twin turbo applications in the 90's were beneficial on engines that had bigger displacement, and were sequential. They included one smaller turbo for quick spooling, and a larger turbo when RPM's were in a range to take over. They were better suited for 90's technology.

Now, technology with turbos are far more advanced than what they were 25-30yrs ago. Even current day twin-turbo applications are utilized on V6 & V8 applications, where each turbo sits on each side of the engine bank, and are exactly the same size. Sequential setups really aren't utilized anymore.
I'm going to do more research on that when I get off work, I had no clue that's how it worked. I see everyone running twins for faster spool so I thought that it was better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts