Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm currently in the market for an aftermarket cold air intake for my 97 GSR. I have narrowed my choice down to two different systems but I dont know which one I should actually get. I am currently looking at the AEM Cold Air Intake as well as the Injen Race Devision Cold Air Intake. I know many of you have the AEM and are happy with it, but does anyone have the Injen? A local shop told me that the Injen was better but I'd much rather hear that from someone who has it. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
AEM is the king of intakes....at least for now...

Wanna be different? Get injen....

Wanna get the best gains for the money? Get AEM...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Injen was created by the people that left AEM, so its pretty much the same design.

if i had the choice, i'd go Injen. why? because they have more options. ie. SRI + CA extension = perfect if you live in Canada.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I read the article but it doesnt have anything about the injen race devision intakes. Is there anything special about them or are they the same as the Injen cold air intakes? Does anyone actually have an Injen Race Devision Intake? I havent heard any owner feedback for those yet and I would love to because I want to make the right decision.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I think MD's article points out that all you are paying for is the name. A "no name" cai will perform just as well as AEM or Injen....It's about the size of the intakes piping, not what name is written on the outside. I suggest you read his article again, it has nothing to do with whether or not it's "AEM" or "Injen" written on the outside...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
i have had the injen intake-- i liked it sort of-- my AEM was louder especially when i was in vtec. When i look back the piping diam. for the AEM was just a hair bigger-- so i dont think that did anything but i think the material made a big difference--- AEM is made of adonized Aluminum while the injen is dipped aluminum (dipped in chrome paint-- not true metal chrome)--- i currently still use my AEM on my turbo for my intake piping to my manifold---

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE oN --- GET A BYPASS VALVE -- too many horror stories on hydro lock--- not woth the chance when it comes to 35-40 dollars---

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
95gsrturbo on Sep/01/02 said:
WHATEVER YOU DECIDE oN --- GET A BYPASS VALVE -- too many horror stories on hydro lock--- not woth the chance when it comes to 35-40 dollars---
Oh please......don't mislead him like that...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard from way too many people that the bypass valve doesnt make a difference. My friend has had an AEM intake without a bypass valve on his 89 CRX for more than a year and nothing has happened to him. I live in southern california, we dont get too much rain any ways.

So anyways, I think I'm gonna go with the AEM. I know the "no name" intakes are just as good if they have the same diameter piping and such, but I need the C.A.R.B approval sticker that comes with the AEM. California emissions are pretty strict and I might need it to pass smog. Thanks alot everyone. If anyone has additional input, keep posting!

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
lets just end all the debating. You will find the perfect intake for you gsr right here

·
Registered
713 Posts
AEMi have a 98 GSR and my friend has a 2001 GSR with ingen, everytime i race him i beat him by 1/4 of a car. i even drove his car and i felt that it lagged more then my car.( and i can tell a difference from 1 or 2 horsepowers) and if you do get CAI dont get no ***** bypass valves. those are for paranoid people or people that live in flooded streets. it will decrease your performance. again... go with AEM<

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
history lesson: that old dyno comparing the intake was done at Comptech but independent from Comptech. The owner of the ITR had purchased the intake separately from a retailer and bought dyno time there. So if you were implying that it was a rigged test, it wasn't. Some of us who have been around awhile can set the record straight and not let some doubts divert attention from analysing the result. Notice no "AEM hump" on the Icebox....

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes that is a true dyno and not rigged. The intakes give the results as expected. I'm thinking alot of the difference between the AEM and Injen were due to different runs though as they are pretty much the exact same thing. I'm not sure, maybe the Injen filter is better than AEM's modified K&N.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts