Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats better when tuned well for NA, b16 or b18. I'm looking for strong midrange power, with decent top end. Basically a daily driver with some push. My first guess would be b18 for its larger displacement, but would a bored out b16 better suited for what i want.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
would more displacement raise the torque level, or just horsepower? Im not going to lie..i dont know much about engine internals just the basics, so dont crack on me. Second..doesnt the B18b1 have the most torque?...although he's looking for horsepower right? How about the H22A prelude motor. Also..what exactly is an H23A? my friend has a prelude with an H23..and i wasnt sure what it was in terms of horsepower.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would go with the B18C1... you'll already have VTEC, plus, once bored out and new cams and valve springs, the B18C1 and C5 would be basically the same. So why waste your money on a C5 if your planning to bore out your engine when a C1 will do just as good?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Ah, the b18c! But I know the facts! Not just b/c some cool guy with a visor told me so!

The b18c (1 or 5) has a great engine package for what you are looking for. It has a low rod ratio with large port volumes. The rod ratio lends a helping hand in the mid range namely b/c of the fast piston speeds away from TDC, large cam lift, and long duration, which is allowed by slow piston speeds away from BDC.

However, most of the power is to be sought up top, due to the large (well, larger than b16 port volume) port volume.

The b16 is gutless below 6k rpm. This is because of the rod ratio. It looks as though Honda gave it smaller port volumes to make up for it but it really didn't help out. Also, the fast piston speed away from BDC can push air/fuel mix back up the intake port and into the intake manifold. Because of this you can't have long duration cams and the same kind of cylinder filling the b18c has. on top of that, the small port volume restricts high end power. one reason I really like the b16 though is b/c of it's rod ratio.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
wesley_wilk on Sep/18/02 said:
How much work would it be to increase the midrange on a b16a as opposed to just increasing that peak number?
Too much, as far as naturally aspirated is concerned. Look at my previous post and take a guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like b18 it is. With the rod ratio on the b16, is the b16 more of a FI engine due to its increased rpm capacity?

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
JeRsEyLoon on Sep/18/02 said:
would more displacement raise the torque level, or just horsepower? Im not going to lie..i dont know much about engine internals just the basics, so dont crack on me. Second..doesnt the B18b1 have the most torque?...although he's looking for horsepower right? How about the H22A prelude motor. Also..what exactly is an H23A? my friend has a prelude with an H23..and i wasnt sure what it was in terms of horsepower.
Do you know how to calculate hp? Learn how and then you can answer your question. Go here to learnHow Stuff Works The b18b1 does not have the most torque. Keep in mind, how much torque is one thing, but where peak torque occurs and the shape of the torque curve is most important. Let's not even get into the h22a or any H series motor for that matter.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Nine G's you say? You can do a lot with that. Engine, engine install and a nice (nice as in Hytech, SMSP) exhaust *system*. Then again, you gotta find the engine (and other components) first and then see how much locals will charge you for an install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To think 6 days ago I was mindlessly searching the internet for information. Thanks for your help guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts