Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone rate the eclipse/talon line of turbo's, 14b, t25, t28, 16G, etc, from the "best" to "not the best"? Their line of turbo's seem to be abundant and reasonably priced...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ther is an article scc about this subject last issue or the one b4 and also the greddy turbo is 18g which is the one from the eclispe and i do belive all the turbos used in eclispe can power our cars personaly i want a turbo from a volvo or a 1.8t if i go that route

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
crazy, did not know that my bad, so your saying a turbo from those might give you more power as compared to one made strictly for you car?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
you can use all those turbos on our cars..you just have to get a turbo manifold that will bolt to the block and the turbocharger..i beleive for Mitsu you will need a gready manifold or HKS manifold. also i would get the 16g. you can use a volvo turbo also, once again just get the manifold made to fit..like the drag or rev hard..i know in the kits that come out you need a 4 bolt manifold to bolt up a garrett with a t3 exhaust housing. and to get more power you need a bigger turbo. but you have to figure out your HP goals. remember you only have a 4 banger and to spool the turbo requires exhasut gases. so you dont want to go and get a T66 cause you wont be able to spool it without NOS or something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote: i beleive for Mitsu you will need a gready manifold or HKS manifold.
hks turbos are all garrett based, so they won't fit a mitsu-anything. specifically, the greddy turbo is a TDOH-18G. the 14B is tiny, that why they moved up to the T28 in the later eclipse years.

here's a table:

TD05-14B (stock 1st gen)275-300hp @ 21 psi
TD05-16G (small) 345-365hp @ 22 psi
TD06-16G (large) 365-385hp @ 22 psi
T25 (stock 2nd gen) 235-250hp @ ?? psi

btw: hardly any dsm guys use stock turbos. alot of the big dogs run 20Gs, or green turbos. the reason their so abundant is hardly anyone wants them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks mrgsr95, that's exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, I think I'm going with the 14B because I don't plan on boosting a lot at all...and I'm not doing any internals either. I just wanted a quick spooling turbo for off the line at street lights.

I just bought a 14B....now i need to find a header for it. Do you know which ones will bolt up to it? I checked out Greddy web site and their headers are for 16G's. Will that fit the 14B or do I need to go custom?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and I've got another question....if for any reason I wanted to upgrade to a bigger turbo. Which ones would I be able to to just take out the 14B and replace with something else...like a T25 or T28, etc?

thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the entire setup off of ebay. I paid $250, including shipping, for everything off of a '92 talon:
intercooler
charge pipes
bov
14b turbo
vacume lines
and other minor stuff

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
seems like you will need alot of custom pipe bending to get everything together, but it sounds like it will a WHOLE lot cheaper than a pre-fab kit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, there's a pretty good exhaust mechanic in my town, who doesn't charge much at all. He basically just said, supply the pipes and the rest shouldn't be too bad. And I'm hoping that there isn't going to be much piping to bend. I might just try and hook it up to my AEM CAI. that might save him some work.

Hell I might just take my car to the welding class at my college and see if the professor might wanna hook me up or maybe one of his top students. Who knows...

but yeah, I'm looking to get my turbo set up for under $1,000. I think I'm on my way. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can get any turbo to work with an integra. Mainly becuse no matter what it's going to have to be custom because there isn't a factory turbo kit for the teg. I just choose the talon turbo because I'm not going to be running high boost, so I didn't need huuuge turbo for huuuge hp. And plus, my motor couldn't handle it, cuz it's stock.

But yeah, it'll work on GS-R's as well. The only difference if you'd need a different exhuast manifold.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote: if for any reason I wanted to upgrade to a bigger turbo. Which ones would I be able to to just take out the 14B and replace with something else...like a T25 or T28, etc?
sorry it took me so long to follow up.

if you're running the 14B, and you wanted to go with a bigger turbo, then you should stick with mitsu stuff. my advice would be to move up to a 16G. the mitsu turbos aren't as customizable as the garretts, but, depending on what u wanted, you might just be able to get a bigger compressor or another simple upgrade instead of buying a whole new turbo.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Your asking far to many questions to be building your own turbo setup, especially if your trying to do it under a grand. Unless you know a really good machinist that is family, you aren't goign to be making anything for a custom turbo cheap.

I know that fuel is in short supply as well. I'm goign to start with injectors. I beleive stock to be around 200 CC/sec. well That's all nice and fine but 400's are not enough for a 14b at 16 psi. Keep that in mind. Now that you ahve bigger injectors say hello to an expensive fuel controller. (that you have to tune.) Now that that is done, you need an exhaust.

Turbo flanges:
The mitusbishi flange is pretty much the same all the way from a t-25 a 20G. Please keep in mind that the t-25 (found on a DSM) is a garret turbo fitted with a mitsu flange.

Which turbo to get:
Well the turbo to get depends on what's been done to the bottom of your engine. WHat compresion are you running, how much flow can the cylinder head move, etc. If you have a head that can flow 500cfm a minute, and you slap a turbo that can do 600, your almost waisitng your money until the head gets ported. Also think aobut how much can my stock bottom end take, if you buy a 16G (which I've personally seen put down 400 hp on a dyno several times,) And put it on your stock bottom end, and then you tune it to say 12 psi, and takes a while to spool, then takes off liek a rocket, your bottom end seems fine and you turn up the boost, look for holes in your pistons.

If you free rev the engine before its warped, it isn't uncommon to find oval shaped cylinders. You have to wait before you turn the car off so that the turbo can coo down, (throw money into a turbo timer that problem is solved.) you have to reprogram your ecm around a turbo system no-one has to utilize the full power your car is capable of producing. (big $$$$)

I think that you need to read much more, and reconsider what your doing. I had the option to jerry-rig a turbo on my integra, and i wouldn't do it, hell I bought another car that came turboed. I don't like to see 1 second wonders. To build power properly you have to know what your doing, or payto have it done. If your trying to be cheap, it won't happen. I've been in the 13's in a turbo car for less then a grand in upgrades, (my first eclipse,) And if I hadn't been rear ended i really don't the car would've lasted long. Learn from my mistakes at least. I dont' liek to see cars get destroyed especially when it comes to a nice car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So how does someone build a turbo and gain knowledge about it without asking questions. I think the more questions I ask the closer I get to where I want to be with my turbo.

And since you seem to be pretty knowledgable, can I ask you a few things?

About the fuel...I plan on doing the s-afc hack because I won't be going over 8 psi on my stock internals. I also plan on using 450cc injectors. (Estimated cost: $280) Oh and I've already got a GReddy EVO exhaust.

About the turbo...I just recently got the 14b, which I don't plan on going over 8 psi, until I do internals. So until I save up more money to do that, I think I should be fine. (Estimated turbo cost: $100)

I've also already got the IC, IC piping, bov, and oil lines. (Estimated cost: $150)

About the turbo timer...I have a remote start alarm system, that enables me to keep the car running a preset time before it automatically shuts the car off and sets the alarm. The also takes care of warming the car up, since I can start the car before I even go outside.

About the exhaust manifold & downpipe...I go to a college that has an excellent mechanical engineering program. I plan on getting those headers off of ebay that you need to weld yourself. (Estimated cost: $150) Then I will take it to the school and have someone weld it together for me. Oh and the pipes will be bent and fitted there as well. (estimated cost for labor: $100)And I know a local exhaust person that can do the downpipe and straight through cat for about $80.

I think that's about it for my plans...unless I've forgotten something. So that brings my estimated total to, $860. Add in a $100 for guages and misc stuff and I'm looking at about $960.

Xanaduce, I thank you for your comments..and I don't doubt your knowledge. This is currently my tentative plans...if there is a flaw anywhere in my plans please inform me about it. And I don't want to see my nice car destroyed either.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts