Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is the best coil-over setup for a 98 GS-R? I would just go with a set of Eibach sport springs and Koni shocks and just have it lowered permantly. But I think the car would be too low to get a floor jack under. It anyone has any answers let me know, I'll be very grateful if you do. By the way it's running on 15's. Thanks. Integmon

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Well, it's all a matter of opinion, really. You should check the supsension forum, they have more info there. Of course higher end coilover set ups are going to give you better performance, but what kind of money are you trying to spend here?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm actually going with the GC/KYB AGX set up myself...I'm not going to be a track monster or anything, but I think for basic street use, this is okay.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Integmon on Mar/08/04 said:
Does anyone know what is the best coil-over setup for a 98 GS-R?
I'd just like to add to the discussion that there is never a one size fits all "best" part for suspension; that goes for everything that is car related as well. A spring/shock combonation specific for a daily driven car will not satisify the needs for a drag racer and vise-versa. So, there is a question that you'll have to ask yourself...

What are you planning to use your suspension for (choose one)?
Drag racing
AutoX
Road Racing
Daily Driving

Your choice of suspension parts will also effect how your car handles.

You'll have to take in consideration...
Oversteer
Understeer
Ride Quality

Do you want oversteer? Is ride quality a must for you? These are the questions you have to ask your self. Now, because your initial post is very vague, I suggest that you visit the "three amigos": The search function, common topics, and articles. Then, after reading the material found with the "three amigos," come back and ask a specific question if there are things that you don't understand.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For a daily driven car with stock like comfort but a little more on the performacne side I'd go with ITR springs and Koni Reds with ITR sway bar in the back. Plus, the Koni Reds are dampening adjustable - except you have to adjust it before it's put on the car.

And this combination saves you a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Also keep in mind. when you're talking about "coilovers"... you're talking about a spring/adjustable pearch that adjusts ride height and/or spring rate. a simple spring and shock combo is not considered coilovers.

Your basic overall suspension options are as follows:

-Full blown pricey ass coilovers: adjustable ride height adjustable spring rate (preload adjustment), compression/rebound adjustments... runs anywhere from $1300 and up. i.e. Zeal b6, Tein flex, etc...

-Basic coilovers: Ride height adjustment, may or may not have compression/rebound adjustment... $700 and up. i.e. Tein basic, tein SS, apexi WS.

-Shock/adjustable spring/perch combo: Consists of a high performance shock (compression/rebound adjustable is best) and a "coilover" style spring and threaded collar... look for about $3-400 for a good set of shocks, adjustable springs can vary, but keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Ground Control/koni shock setups seem to be preferred around here. this can be just as good or better than any true coilover system.

-Lowering spring/shock combo: Most basic. No ride height adjustment, compression/rebound adjustment depends on the shock you purchase. Most streetable setup... however this is also dependant on what springs you purchase.

your best bet is to get a decent coilover setup. You can usually order custom spring rates (depending on what kind of driving you plan on doing). I'd say your best overall bet would be koni shocks/ground control coilovers. Its easiest to order and get the spring rates you want (they are american based, so no need to wait for orders to ship from japan), and a lot of people use this setup. I know of a few professional racers who actually use them on their cars... I believe one (or both) of the gold honda challenge crx twins are going from zeals to the gc/koni setup because the custom order spring rates will get to them quicker, necessary when they have to change from race to race. so that just goes to show you that even the high end coilovers might not be best for your application... and that sometimes a more sensible setup can be just as good.

I personally have tein SS's... I plan on ordering stiffer spring rates (9kg/mm front, 8kg/mm rear) because the supplied springs aren't enough for what i do (track days at willow springs/button willow, etc...) this may mean i have to get the shocks re-valved to handle the stiffer spring rates (although the change isn't that dramatic, so hopefully not)... so all these things are added costs which must be considered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.