Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever i start my car (cold) my belt squeeks like a madman, and i have to revv it up to stop it, my lights dimm and stuff when it happens so im guessing its the alternator belt. Which is just a V belt if i'm not mistaken, is there an article on how to replace it? or is it pretty self explanatory?

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
really self explanatory. loosen the bracket, slide it off, then put the new one on. but if i were u, i would just try belt dressing spray first, that usually gets rid of the squeaking and it will condition the belt. u can find it at any parts store.

·
The Enforcer!
5,803 Posts
get an OEM belt if you replace it. i replaced my a/c belt with a aftermarket had problems with it when i turned my a/c on. it would squeel like a pig

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
sometimes it squeels at low rpm b/c its "glazed", so you will have to get a new belt like already suggested.

However, replacing the belt isn't so easy as just taking it off and putting the new one on. I recently replaced my Alt belt b/c it got glazed while i was at the track. Basically if you still have the power steering and AC belts on, you will need to take them off. And to get the the Power steering belt off you need to relieve tension by unloosening the tensioner, then unbolt your lower torque mount on the driver side so that the belt can loop off.

To get the AC belt off, just loosen the tensioner on that and loop it off. To loosen the tension on the Alt belt, just loosen the top bolt that you see on the alterator, and it can swing forwards (towards the front of the car) to relieve tension. Don't tighten the belts too tight, nor too loose. i forget what the specs are, but maybe someone with a helms can chime in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have also had the problem alot with my old car, only when cold though. then once it warms up I dont hear the squeeling anymore.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
aftermarket belts will squeal. No question about it. OEM belts are the only way to go. The aftermarket belts will continuously stretch. I tensioned my aftermarket alt belt once a week and it would still squeal horrible.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Your belt might just be loose, there is a bolt on the lower part of the alternator, and one on the upper. The one on the bottom has a slot for adjustment, that is your tensioner. Have someone use a pry bar (or something similar) to hold a decent amount of tension on it while you re-tighten the bolts.

Edit: The tensioner is on the top, not the bottom, my mistake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.