Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally use my 99 Miata for lapping days but I recently picked up my GSR and want to use it a few times. Its have 167000 miles on it but runs damn good. I'll be doing cam seals, crank seal, vtec solnoid seal and possibly timing belt if thats not already done (already has a new clutch and clutch cylinder). I know to get the traditional prep stuff (real pads, fluid blah blah, I have doesn HPDE for 2 years now) but is there anything I should be concerned with on these cars? I did a compression test and its good. I may throw new rear calipers on as they are rather rusty but thats about all I can think of at this time. I know that spec Miata's normally start their racing career at about this milage, I assume that this bad boy could do the same...?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
If all seals are good, compression is solid, suspension and brakes are working, there's no leaking on anything anywhere on the engine, and vtec kicks in fine, then you're set to go. Many people have bought stock and started modifying them and using them on the track well after the 100k-150k point, some even past the 200k point, so you should be set. Any other ideas on what to change guys?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Definitely a decent track car. Just get some upgraded brake pads, some good fluids, and anything to ensure that it will take a beating without any negative effects. Youre probably gonna end up needing more better tires, and suspension eventually. good luck with it

·
Registered
982 Posts
See if your cooling system is working properly..because im assuming you will push the car to its limit and you would want cooling to be one of your least worries on the track. Make sure your radiator isnt cracked...because g3 integras tend to have radiators shat on them after 100k of driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm ok thanks for the heads up on the radiator situation. I have not had any cooling issues yet but I have not ran the car very hard as I still have a question mark in regards to the timing belt. That is the kinda stuff that I don't know about. I plan to get myself a set of Hawk HP+ pads for the fronts and some Falkens for shoes. Save the R's for my Miata.

Another one that I just thought of is oem wheel weights. I have some fat fives on their now. Is there a table of oem wheel weights around??

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
StriderEpyon on Sep/25/07 said:
Hmmm ok thanks for the heads up on the radiator situation. I have not had any cooling issues yet but I have not ran the car very hard as I still have a question mark in regards to the timing belt. That is the kinda stuff that I don't know about. I plan to get myself a set of Hawk HP+ pads for the fronts and some Falkens for shoes. Save the R's for my Miata.

Another one that I just thought of is oem wheel weights. I have some fat fives on their now. Is there a table of oem wheel weights around??

All OEM Wheels and weights: Stock Wheels

Fat Fives are 16lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm I thought I would have found it in an article woops. Sorry people I normally search this action far and wide before I open my mouth....

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
My konig's are about 11lbs... dayum, I really cut some weight!

Make sure your Tbelt has been changed in the last 6yrs/90k... if not, just do it. Don't want that bad boy snappin, an experience I've had to deal with...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Rob's got it with the T=belt. If you don't know when its been changed, swap it out and the water pump as well. Oil pump couldn't hurt either, but not required.

You've got your fluids in hand, and you've been to multiple lapping days before, I think you're set.

Are there any suspension mods to this car that you know of? Honestly if you're used to driving a miata around a track, you're going to be throughly dissapointed with stock integra suspension. But of course you need to drive it to know it right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As of now I don't believe there are any suspension mods on the car. When I had it on the rack a few days ago and looked, the shocks and springs seemed to be stock. Also took the damn neons off. I got this car mainly as a daily driver and and secondary lapping car. I will farm it out to friends that I trust to come and try lapping out. My plans are to throw some Type R spring and some Tokico blues at it (doesn't lower the car to much, would like higher rates but don't want to much more lowering). Also hit a type R rear sway bar or something of equal size and call it, O and some summer rims with Falkens for duel purpose. I have a lot of stuff to get in my Miata so I can't dump a ton on this car. I believe it will be a fun car to use every now and then. I have not tracked a FF car so I would like to see how it differs from the FR car. I have all the stuff to do the T-belt and a friend/ex-Acura mechanic of mine will do all the work so I know it will be done right.

I checked out the Radiator today and it seemed to be in good shape. Did some stop and go driving and everything seemed good as far as temps go!

Thanks for all to help guys!! Do any of you guys actually run your cars?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
There are a few of us who lap our cars here. Infact I will point out some experience with your planned setup that will hopefully change your mind.

I used to have ITR springs on Tokico blues, the rear rates were too high and I blew both rear shocks halfway through my second lapping event last year. Since then I have switched to koni's and much stiffer springs and have had no problems.

Unfortunately the same principles that apply to your miata apply to the teg. Going cheap on suspension components will be a waste of money, and you'll be doing it again (especially if under lapping conditions/high stress)

As far as FF goes, you'll learn pretty quick these cars don't like to turn in/rotate very well on low spring rates in the rear.

Check out this thread I made recently about my suspension setups:

H&R sport fronts - neuspeed race rears

Regardless, its nice to have another person on the board who tracks their car. Keep us updated on your progress.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
StriderEpyon on Sep/25/07 said:
Do any of you guys actually run your cars?

I don't have the time or balls to lap mine, but she does play with Miatas about once a month or so - I autox.

Sounds like they have hit most of the high points of what you'll want to check.

Please post your impressions of the car and your set-up after your first track day with her. It will be interesting to see how you feel about the Geezer, seeings as how you also have experience in the Miata.

I've let a few of the Miata guys I trust out at our autox events take my Geezer out for a spin, and they all had nothing but nice things to say about the car. Most of the comments went something like "Cool car!" or "Hey, NICE little ride!" ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will definitely share my findings. But as I just added Ground control to my Miata I'm pretty sure its gunna slay my teg in the turns HEH.

Interesting post Steved, was the problem really the shocks? If you were to put a better shock with the Type R springs would it have keep the tail sliding characteristic you desired possibly? Are you doing any trail braking?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The problem really is the damping capability of those Tokico's. They call them 'high performance' but in reality they are oem replacement shocks, with slightly higher damping force. They just weren't up to the stress of hard cornering/weight transfer that higher end shocks do. They were one year old when I blew them :(

If you get better shocks (koni's (rebound ajust only), agx (adjusts compression/rebound equally)) they will easily handle ITR spring rates.

Another thing to note about those ITR springs is that the rear rates are progressive. Personally the rates do not provide enough body roll resistance for me, but they are cheap and a good spring choice for you to test with.

I did a bit of trail braking (sometimes unintentionally) with the ITR springs and it will definately bring the car around. My problem was I didn't have an LSD at the time, and it was a bit chaotic to get the car to straighten out without wobbling on exit (read: beginner skill level).

I have not attempted trail-braking on my new setup, and just the h&r sport springs didn't give me enough confidence to attempt it the last event I was at.

I'm going back to a 5 km track on Oct 15 so I'll be able to play around a bit with my new setup and some advanced driving techniques.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts