Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this problem is getting annoying. First of all, I have replaced 3 batteries in the last 3 months. I have an aftermarket stereo system and a stock alternator FYI. Anybody know how I can test where the problem is coming from? Could it be the alternator? any input is appreciated.

peace.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Start the car; disconnect the negative terminal; if it dies, then it's probably your alt.; if it doesn't, it could be your charging system.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
it can be that it been sitting there too long. u should start the car every or to 2 days that what happen to my project g2 when i dont start it every3 3 days the battery dies

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also you may want to consider taking the battery right out if the car is gonna be sitting for awhile (hope not) and bring it inside. Don't sit it on a concrete floor, make sure its on a board or a piece of carpet.
I work beside a battery lab so if you have ANY questions about led acid batterys let me know.

·
Registered
962 Posts
you are probably just over doing your batery with your stereo.. you should buy a capaciter for your system..and you should also get your alt. checked out.. just take it to like autozone and have them hook it up to their machine.. they can check your batery also to see if you have a dead cell in it..

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
if a car is going to be sitting for a while, you really should disconnect the battery. your radio, ECU, etc drains a small amount to keep memory. if you have a bad short somewhere, you may have excess parasitic drain. you need an electric meter than can test amps to check for it.

also, if your alternator isn't pumping out the right amount of juice, it will over or undercharge your battery which neither is good for battery life.

there's a dozen or so other things that might be wrong with your electrical system. you really shouldn't have to replace a battery that is that new. just pick up a charger and trickle charge it for a few days to see if it comes back to life. also, most batteries come with a warranty. one way to check if the battery is good is to charge it at 35 amps for 3 minutes. if the voltage goes over 15.5V, then the battery is probably no good. any other tests, you need a VAT which is expensive, but most shops will perform the tests you need for free or for a small fee.

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you have an amped hooked up to either the speakers or a sub, you could be drawing power from your battery while your car is off, check to see if your power light on your amp is staying on, if it is, you are using the wrong amp turn on, you need something that will stop sending a signal, when your car is off. judging by the way your battery dies when your car is off, that would be the most likely bet. if that doesnt work you need to check to make sure nothing is grounding out, that will drain your battery also

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok here is the update. I tried starting my car, without charging the battery or anything. Nothing happened, not even alternator clicking. I then jumpstarted the car and removed the jumper cables. After a few minutes, I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery. The car stayed on running. I noticed that the lights, gauges, and even engine noise flickered every so often. I let it run for about 20 minutes. THen I turned off the car, reconnected the positive lead and tried restarting. This time, the gauges, and alarm responded, lighting up and chirping respectively. It also sounded like the alternator was clicking when I was trying to start the car. The car never did reach ignition, so I am baffled as to what the problem may be. If it was the alternator, thought the car would shut off after disconnecting the positive terminal, but it ran fine, except for the flickering. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are you trying to say you just have car sitting there for months and are sitting in it and playing stereo etc? And when the battery goes dead you change it with a new one? I believe everything is fine, and you just need to get the car out on the road to fully charge it up. Considering it stayed alive on the alternator, and the little bit of charging you did to the battery got it from totally dead, to being able to power lights. I think it is just drained, and the little bit of draw from the car is taking it to the dead zone.

If the car is actually being driven for a while while doing that, I would suggest checking wiring for shorts. And also corrosion on the battery terminals or a poor connection to battery.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
yeah really..it takes upwards of 15 minutes of driving to fully recahrge a battery from a single start...

also for what you are paying in new batteries, just get a battery tender...this will keep your battery charged and conditoned...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Actually I saw one the other day at Shippers Supply, I was picking up boxes for work, so I am guessing they are available almost anywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts