Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Well my battery is 5 years old and it just died today and I know its the battery for sure because its been starting to lose its power for a while now. I did a jump start and it started fine, my battery charger shows that it is no longer holding its charge.

Anyway I was reading about the Optima battery

on this post

I don't have any significant electronics, no stereo system in fact I don't listen to my stereo at all anymore. I am supercharged at 6psi and running a boost and oil psi gauges.. I also have HID.. nothing else.

My question is according to the post the 51R is the correct fitament for the yellow top optima battery for our cars.

Which model is the correct fitament for the red top? I don't think I need a yellow top. What interested me about the red top is that the Optima website said the red top is insulated against heat, since I am running FI the motor obviously runs a little hotter and I thought it was be a good idea for my application.

Anyway if anyone knows if there is a red top that has a direct fitament to stock location let me know. Or any other battery brands you might reccomend. I will be going out later today or tomorrow to get a new battery obviously I won't be driving it around here especially since the weather is very cold and snowing.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i dont believe they make a redtop that fits integras. As for the yellowtop i couldnt find any place locally that had the one for integras, and some said they couldnt even order one for me. I ended up buying a platinum series battery from autozone for 70bucks with a 5 year warranty. Id say save some money and just get a decent battery with a couple year warranty.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
loaded with electronics and sound system? Optima yellow
concern about performance? light weight battery

I think T1R makes the light weight one and a few other brand, forgot names... they weight like 11lbs only.

nvm, here
http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm
scroll down to the near bottom and you will see the chart.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i woudn't spend the cash on any optima battery they are kinda hit and miss some people never have problems with them and others have had them only for like 3 months and won't hold a charge

since your eletrical load is not big at all i would suggest just some off the wall premium battery or an odessy battery

·
Registered
10,393 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.. Do you know the warrenty on this battery? Do you think I can get this from crappy tire, or parts source? Since I am kinda in a rush to get it

·
Registered
122 Posts
Local dealer told me that they can't order Optima's because of major problems such as batteries dying quickly, etc. They won't be able to order new ones until Optima can fix it...as for the red tops, Optima does make for Integras.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i got my duralast battery from autozone, $54, it has a red top, i have a 1600 watt stereo and it does the job really well. save ur cash!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have a optima yellow top in my ls. great battery, i have left my interior lights on before while at work and after work my car still started. im convinced that this is because of the optima. in my personal experience it was a good investment.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hey Haegl - fellow SC'er here.

Im runnin 9 psi, 4 speakers running off an amp, and sub off an amp, and i got the normal 50 dollar silver version batt. Works wonderfully. havent had any probs with it. As for the heat, not reallly a concern for me cuz how often do you let your car sit running? and its not really hot at idle, and while moving the air will flow around the batt and keep it cool. ultimately you could get water inj. or lht IC for heat issues. just my .02. go canada!

·
Registered
775 Posts
i ordered a red top from an online company and then ordered a battery relocation kit from summit racing.. this had multiple advantages for me..

1. it allowed me to relocate my battery to the trunk which in turn really cleaned up my engine bay

2. it allowed me to run a much larger battery which would normally never fit my integra

3. it relocated that weight to the rear of the car which in turn improved handling and brought my integra closer to a 50/50 weight distribution

after everything was said and done.. i think the project came in at a little less then $200 and I was very pleased

·
Registered
19 Posts
personally i had a optima yellow top, and after a month or so the battery was dead. it happened to a buddy of mine also. they do warranty. but still a pain in the ass. something that should not be a factor when you pay alot for them.

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
GSR_spd on Feb/07/06 said:
Local dealer told me that they can't order Optima's because of major problems such as batteries dying quickly, etc. They won't be able to order new ones until Optima can fix it...as for the red tops, Optima does make for Integras.
False, Optima is out of 51R's because of supply and demand. Too much demand not enough supply. We were supposed to be re-supplied in January, never recieved them.

PS: owner of one for 1.5 years, no problems, great starting.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
damn Im so confused now guys lol

Well this is my problem. I called around 15 shops asking for Dyna-batt, Duralast, Odyessy and Optima batteries.

No one carries any of these batteries and my car is sitting dead on the driveway, I can jump start it but after I shut off the motor I cannot restart it without a jump start again.

A friend of mine said he can get me a yellow top Optima for $120 but since I am not buying it from a retailer I don't think it will have a warrenty, after reading your experiences Im not sure that I trust Optima batteries now.

My local Acura dealer said their out of stock and will have more in tomorrow. So I can't even get a stock battery right now.. talk about useless services in Canada, who knew finding a battery would be so hard!!!

We don't have pep boys, or autozone here in Canada. We have crappy tire and just opened Parts source, who I already called and dont carry any batteries to fit my car with exception to purple haze that they want $220 bucks for!

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
Purple Haze? Hey it'll match your car!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Haegl on Feb/08/06 said:
I got a battery everyone, just went back to OEM cause I had no choice.. thanks for all your suggestions I appreciate it
that will be just fine, optimas arent worth the money if you arent running large amounts of electronics. And the guy who said duralasts suck, just caus i said i got it from autozone doesnt mean i got a duralast, which i didnt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.