Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know the whole LS/VTEC thing has been beaten to death, and YES, I have used the search function, but I still have a few questions....

I'm being offered a B18C (JDM) head with Skunk2 stg.2 cams for VERY cheap. I'm thinking of dropping it on my LS motor. The compression on the engine is excelent. I'll most likely end up using the Golden Eagle kit to do everything. And I'll probably also add a block guard. The reason I'm staying mostly stock with this setup is because I'll probably just end up using it as my daily driver once I get a different car this summer.

1. I've heard many issues about reliability, but generally those people are wanting to run higher RPM's. I'm looking to run stock revs. Will there still be the reliability factor?

2. What type of compression ratio will I be looking at with the B18C head?

3. The head is OBD2 and my car is OBD1. Do I need to change the distributor? Will a USDM wiring harness work with the JDM head?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance.

-stig

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
go search and use c-speed racing compression calculator.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Stage 2 cams are designed for a higher compression piston then the stock LS. In my setup i was using those cams with 12.5:1 CR. If you want your powerband within the stock LS redline, you may wanna look into different cams. just a thought
Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. Thanks for the replys, guys. Much appreciated. He actually still has the stock GSR cams so maybe I can even knock some more off the price by sticking with the stock ones.

And as for the wiring... I'm thinking that since everything else is the same, that I could use my factory harness and just patch in the appropriate wires for knock, vtec pressure switch, vtec solonoid.... I've had lots of wiring experience so I'm not too worried about actually doing it. on the car that the head is coming out of ('98 Civic DX), I was the one that rewired the entire existing harness to accomodate for the GSR engine.

Again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm... I guess another question would be...
Could I lower the VTEC engagement point since the LS has bigger displacement?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
What is the difference between a jdm b18c head and a usdm b18c5 head? ZERO.

So why do people insist on thinking the prefix jdm means anything better? because they've been hoodwinked.

What is a better website with more accurate calculations for static cr? http://www.bojangs.com/calculator/

How would you supposed to have known that?

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=233

PR3 (jdm b18c or usdm b18c5) head on an LS block with a 3 layer hg = 9.5:1

P72 (b18c1) head on an LS block with a 3 layer hg = 9.7:1

What is the ideal CR range for the Skunk2 stage2? 11.6-12.2:1

there's no relation between vtec switchover point and displacement.

ecu's (not the head) must match distributors in terms of obd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.