Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I believe low compression could be from bad piston rings, or blown head gasket. I believe there might be more. I also do not see a bad injector causing low compression because to do a compression test one must take out the spark plug, thus no explosion. How low is this compression? Is it just one cylinder?

·
Registered
948 Posts
injectors cannot cause low compression, they are mounted to the intake manifold, they do not seal the combustion chamber.

The combustion chamber is sealed by piston rings, head gasket and valves.

If you have low compression in two adjacent cyclinders it *might* be the head gasket. If you have oil in your coolant, its definitely the head gasket. You'll also get thick white billowing smoke out tailpipe.

If you rings are worn, put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and redo the compression check. If the compression jumps up more than 30 psi, the rings are worn.

If you've eliminated the previous two, then it is most likely the valves. Take the car to a dealer and get a leak-down test to confirm this.

·
Registered
948 Posts
60 psi is very low. Usually worn rings don't lose that much compression. The valves might be floated but I doubt it.

The fact that you've got *very* low compresion in two adjacent cyclinders highly suggests you've got a blown head gasket.

Follow the steps I outline in my previous post to narrow down which of the three it is. If your head gasket is blown, GET IT FIXED AS SOoN AS POSSIBLE. If you get enough coolant leaking into the combustion chamber you can blow the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.