Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some trouble with my acceleration in my 96 LS auto (with 98k+ miles). It seems like it doesn't want to go like it used to, there is a serious lag in accerlation. I recently and a tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter), i also had my fuel induction cleaned out twice, and my timing has been adjusted. I have taken the car to two shops and they said that there is nothing showing up what is wrong with it. Can it be my O2 sensor in my exhaust? If you have any suggestions or questions feel free. Thank you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's not going to be your 02 sensor, friend had that go bad and it blew out smoke and the engine sputtered like it was only running on 3 cylinders at times, and there was a lot of black suit in the exuaghst pipe. I noticed that my teg was, to me, given me less power, so I changed my spark plugs to NGK, and I started using a different fuel. minute changes but shes back to normal now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
it happens to me too...its like u want to push more gas but the needle is not responding or sumthin until u step on more so the car acutally downshift itself to gain more power...=)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Have you flat out just tried to do a full blown diagnostics test or have someone just run codes from your computer (dont know if that last one actually works)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The gas milage has stayed the same and there isn't a check engine light on. I have a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust system. If that helps, they did hook up my car to a computer and nothing showed up at both places. So, I am kinda stumped on what might be wrong. I use mid-grade gas(not the regular) all the time and do my oil changes when they should be done. I just don't know.

·
Registered
948 Posts
your tranny could be slipping, check your fluid, make sure its topped up and doesn't need to be flushed and refilled.

·
Registered
510 Posts
in my 96 gsr i was having a similar problem. But for me it was, well what it seemed like was when i would be in first gear accelerating and get to about 5500 or so and sh*t when i would get in second it would not want to accelerate as fast. I would stop somewhere and get back to my car say 30 mins later and it would be fine. but if i did it again that problem would stay.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
You really can't rely on "it feels" slower. Your not getting any other symptoms of a problem.

Some things I would check/replace are

-Airfilter
-PCV valve
-Valve adjustment

What exhaust do you have on your car? What size?

·
Registered
704 Posts
i see the pcv valve comes up alot with numerous different problems people have..my question is,what exactly are symptoms/signs that your pcv valve is no good...what happens when it go bad how does the car re-act...sorry to threadjack..

now one thing i notice with my car is it has mood swings...one day it will feel so quick,accelerate easily,other days its like it doesnt want to move,sluggish,sometimes it will be so sudden it bugs the hell outta me,it can be a day where it feels sluggish,stop at a store ,turn off the car and when i come back out the store(5 mins or 5 hours,dont matter)and start her up and drive off the car will feel totaly different...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I can rely on "it feels slower" because it is. It is very noticeable of its bad acceleration. I can't pull out in front of traffic sometimes because of it. Also, trying to do 80 takes a day to do. There is a very noticeable difference from how it was and how it is now. I have a custom 2.25" cat-back with a Arospeed muffler. But this started happening many months after I got the exhaust installed. Also, the PCV valve was part of the tune-up (forgot that one), and my air filter is fine. I even switched from my cold air intake to the short ram and back again to see if it made a difference.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i am having the exact same problem (94 LS with 119,000 miles) now it doesnt even pick up well anytime, it used be somedays it would fly but now not on any days

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Really sounds to me like an attack of the ass dyno. Unlike dyno tuning, a quick run on a dyno to get a power number doesnt cost much at all. So go do it so you can stop wondering lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've heard that you can tell if the pcv valve is functioning properly by pulling it out while the vehicle is running and placign your finger over the hole and seeing if vacuum is present, they sometimes get clogged with oil. and as far as the good day, bad day, i've heard the barometric pressure has a role in the performance of a vehicle.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
br1t1shguy on Feb/04/04 said:
Really sounds to me like an attack of the ass dyno. Unlike dyno tuning, a quick run on a dyno to get a power number doesnt cost much at all. So go do it so you can stop wondering lol.

Your a funny guy dude,......not really.

·
Registered
146 Posts
aznpkboy69 on Feb/03/04 said:
it happens to me too...its like u want to push more gas but the needle is not responding or sumthin until u step on more so the car acutally downshift itself to gain more power...=)
my 96 ls special auto does the same thing as well. i hate it, i wanna get my car checked out. i think i need to being as tho i just bought it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts