Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys whats goin on, I was just wondering about something that i've noticed on my car recently. What happens is when I rev up my car to 6 or 7 g's and then let go of the gas I hear a loud pop. Backfire I presume? Well whatever it is I just wanna know if it good or bad or maybe I need a need cat?

The cat I have right now is making weird noises and I haven't had the chance to take a good look at it to see whats going on with it. I was told to try and replace the springs and nuts, which i'll do soon. But maybe in the inner brick walls inside the cat are damaged?

joe

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have an oem cat, the piping is regular aluminum 2.5 or 2.25. The guy at the muffler shop increased the size a little more over the stock one. He custom bent the piping for me to fit my universal exhaust.

joe

·
Registered
711 Posts
My car does the same since I got the carsound cat and ITR headers.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
my car does a popping noise once in a while, but i haven't checked to see at what rpms, so i would like to know what that is coming from also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, he bent pipe for you...? Was it a mandrel bender? The reason I ask is because I had my first "cat-back" put on by a muffler shop. I got ripped off - big time. He bent some pipe for me and sold me a universal muffler. I didn't know the difference becuase i wasn't into the mod scene like I am now. It's like kinking a garden hose 45 or 90 degrees. The ID won't be the same through the bend. I'm bick-firing alot too. I'm pretty sure it's because my pipe isn't mandrel bent.
That and "Magnaflow = Sh*t"

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Usually a backfire in the exhaust is just excess unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting. My CRX with no converter would do this. Occasionally my GSR does this. It usually happens after a deceleration to acceleration state. The fuel takes a little while to stop flowing after closed throttle which results in excess fuel in the exhaust which is ignited when the throttle is reopened. Carburated cars pull a lot of fuel through the idle circuit due to the increased vacuum on decel. and are even worse. This is what a dashpot prevents. It shouldn't be very loud. Many race cars shoot flames out the exhaust under these condtions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What would happen if you got backfire in your IM? Never heard of this before and it really piqued my curiousity. What conditions cause this? Thanks

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Spoon92 on Sep/03/02 said:
What would happen if you got backfire in your IM? Never heard of this before and it really piqued my curiousity. What conditions cause this? Thanks
I saw a Mustang GT do that on the dyno a few weeks ago... it blew the filter off of the intake, destroyed the box and sent pieces flying (b18cya got hit in the face, lol). Oh, and there were 2 fireballs coming out of it too. Definately not a good thing to have happen. The car only ran on like 3 of it's 8 cylinders after that too.

I used to have an occasional backfire after letting off of the gas at high rpms... I replaced my spark plugs and distributor cap and it went away.

·
Registered
133 Posts
its normal to have a popping noise on decel or if you rev it up b/c of the lack of back pressure and fuel, a backfir in the intake manifold is usually the cause of a lean misfire rather than a rich. old rule of thumb is exh. backfire = rich.
Intake backfire = lean.
its not etched in stone or anything but 9 out of 10 times it points you in the right direction.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I get some backfire as well when changing gears like around 3000rpm.

It doesnt happen all the time but sometimes.

Is having a little backfire normal? Is it bad for the car?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
a small exuast leak will also create backfirining.

the closer to the motor the leak is, the more often you will hear it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i got it to as soon as i got my evo 2 exhuast put on...it doesnt do it often and if u listen to alot of crx's and civics u will hear it 10X's as bad...i wouldnt worry about it but im no expert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts