Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting my new struts put in today. They call and say the fronts are in no prob, but the back theres something siezed (he said what it was, but I forget the exact name, something about the bushings).

When we put in my springs, lets just say we 'got around' this problem, and it was avoided.

Anyways its like $30 each side to get some new parts, and then like 3hrs labour.

Is this a common problem for our cars?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Seized lower control arm bushings?

Pretty common, especially the earlier year gen3's (more time to have them seize).

Most people run into those problems. It wouldn't be a bad idea to order replacement bushings and bolts before hand to lower the possible downtime. Plus you can go polyurethane :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so he called back. He says its going to be cheaper to replace the whole rear control arm on both sides.
180 a side.

It would have been 30 for each bushing, and theres 6? The he thought about 3 hours to replace all the bushings. So damn, I just said hell get the new control arm.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
that same sh*t happened to me - i have a 98- when i went in to get my car lowered... cost me 800 total for installation of springs and fixing teh seized up portion of teh suspension+labor! what a goddam ripoff - i coulda bought a full coilover suspension !!! i was f**king pissed!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Six? Three per contorl arm, and they all seized? Hold on, let me check into this.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kricci on Sep/13/02 said:
that same sh*t happened to me - i have a 98- when i went in to get my car lowered... cost me 800 total for installation of springs and fixing teh seized up portion of teh suspension+labor! what a goddam ripoff - i coulda bought a full coilover suspension !!! i was f**king pissed!
Thats what I was thinking, but they will still would have been seized either way. And they would have to be done.I guess Im kinda disappointed that its gonna alot more then I planned , but I would rather do it properly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but I don't know alot about suspension and I'm getting ready to put in springs, but what are bushings? Well I guess I just wanna know what they look like and what their purpose is.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i ran into this when i installed my suspension. i just bought new lower bushings and bolts. the old bushings didn't come all the way out, so i trimmed the new bushing with a dremel. so far no problems. it'd be a good idea to order aftermarket urethane bushings to replace the stock rubber ones. i don't see why they would have to replace the whole lower control arm?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Rainman on Sep/13/02 said:
This may be a stupid question, but I don't know alot about suspension and I'm getting ready to put in springs, but what are bushings? Well I guess I just wanna know what they look like and what their purpose is.
the bushings are rubber (stock) or urethane (aftermarket) inserts that go into the lower control arm and at the top of the strut assembly to reduce vibration and impact from the road. kind of like a shock for your shocks... hehe.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are replacing them cause the guy said in the long run its gonna be cheaper. And hes not hoseing me, hes a good guy. He said I could get him to do it all with out replacing them, but labour would cost lots. Since he isnt making money off the new parts, he could told me to take the labour route and made money. Get where Im going with this.

Anyone want some seized control arms? cheap. =p

·
Registered
136 Posts
These bushings are a pain in the ass !! my front swaped out very nice, it took about 1 hour... the first bolt I tried to remove in the back and SNAP! the head of the bolt came off. Both rear bushings were Fux0red. Cost me 36$ CAD (~20$USD) per bushing at acura. Then I had to bring my suspention to a shop and have them pop out the old bushing and put in the new one, that cost me 20$CAD (~13$USD) for both... Don't try to remove/install the bushings yourself, I spent 2 hours with a hammer and a blow torch and still couldent get the whole thing out... A shop should be able to remove the seized bushings in about an hour + the parts cost (~50$USD). They should not be charging you for 3 hours ... They are probably charging you this much because they know that it would be a pain in the ass for you to switch shops at this point, especially if the bolt is now snapped. Keep in mind that to change the rear shocks/spings, there can only be 1 bushing that would prevent them from removing the shock/spring. If they tell you that you need more than 1 bushing .. they are screwing you... there is only one bolt going through the bushing at the bottom of the shock and once it is removed, the spring can be compressed and the shock/spring can be removed. If you really need, I can e-mail you pictures to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about.. Another note is that even once they remove/change the bushing, your not out of the woods... I had the bolts that hold together the shock with the spring seized also (the bolt at the top of the shock that holds everything together)... the only way to fix this is to change the shocks!! another couple hundred $ no doubt .... I don't think I am ever going to suggest suspention work to someone with a 5+ year old car... to many potential problems ... GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yea, it took me like a week to finally get the back bushings out completely. I had to buy 2 bushings and 2 bolts. Process of removal: beating with a hammer and chisel, hacksaw, placing a socket over the outer part of bushing and beating it, and lots of wd40 just for hope.

·
Registered
136 Posts
JJSurfer: LOL! ... I did that for about 2 hours... then I gave up ... the shop did it in about 5 minutes ... there is something to be said in Mechanics for having the right tools for the job =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts