Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i search on this and i get people trying to put b18b heads on a b20 but i want to know if i can put this p8r head on my b18a... tell me what you think about it and if its good or bad... i live in CA and you cant pass smog with a b20 in your car now so yeahh....

·
Registered
452 Posts
P8R head is a JDM b20 Non-Vtec head. All the b20 in the US uses the p75, and the majority of the JDM ones also uses the p75, which makes the p8r slightly more rare. It is the only b20 head with a 84mm chamber and 33mm intake valves (like the vtec valves). It was thought to be from the Honda Orthia in 1997, some have also said that they have a 1999 head also, which should be in 2000 cars. The p8r code is cast into the head where the p75 should be. I was wondering if i can use it but the head is 84, and my block is 81, I thought it might have a chance for a fit. It is said to flow better than a pnp LS Head, and better than a stock gsr/b16 vtec head and it is stock from HoNDA.

Some info on the p8r:

"This is a super rare head casting of a B20 head. Want to make good nonvtec power? Ports are different than regular LS heads, chambers are already opened up to 84mm, and intake valves are 33mm (vtec size). This head out of the box will flow as well as most ported LS heads, and you port this thing and get custom valves like another h-t member (fastone beast LS motor) you can easily be destroying vtec setups because of its 33mm intake valves seats."

·
Registered
159 Posts
Why would you want an 84mm combustion chamber on an 81mm bore? I would expect that would lead to some strange results, it's likely better suited to a B20 than a B18 unless it's bored to match the head.

·
Registered
924 Posts
i think the p8r's are 84mm... its supposed to be a rare and best flowing jdm non-vtec head... most b20's use p75 heads i think...

this is just from what i've been reading lately... well, from what i remember at least... since my motor's blown, ive been pondering the thought of a b20z block making love to a p8r head with a b16 tranny on the side... just for a daily driver, and maybe a few autox beatings...

but this thread had me wondering...

ll
l l
l l???

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
my boy had a 95 teg with a fresh B18B1 block mated to a fresh B20 head with a GS-R tranny and it ran with no problems. people were saying that it sounded very healthy...ran nice at the track too.

·
Registered
598 Posts
just so you know, i passed smog w/ my b20 in cali. my engine bay looks practically stock (AEM cold air made into short ram and has CARB sticker) The intake was the only thing that caught the tech's eye's and then he saw the sticker and said "oh... thats legal" and i was golden. i cant speak for Every place but, if you try and find one that seems kinda run down, if that makes any sense, i dont think you'd have a problem.

·
Registered
917 Posts
platinumridah93 on Oct/27/08 said:
my boy had a 95 teg with a fresh B18B1 block mated to a fresh B20 head with a GS-R tranny and it ran with no problems. people were saying that it sounded very healthy...ran nice at the track too.
which head was he using? ....

·
Registered
924 Posts
hmmm... i dont think u guys are getting the question... its no biggy though...

some jdm b20b's come with a different head... the "p8r"... u guys are talking about slapping a b20 head onto an b18b block.. the b20 head you're using is really just the same as the b18b head... "p75"... or is there also a pr4?... dont quote me on this info...

the p8r head has different specs from our everyday p75 heads... that's where the question erupts from...

p8r heads have 33mm intake valves with an 84mm combustion chamber as opposed to p75 heads, which have 81mm combustion chambers and 31mm intake valves...

so, what's going to be the outcome of the head's 84mm combustion chamber over the block's 81mm bore?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
hmongkie on Oct/27/08 said:
so, what's going to be the outcome of the head's 84mm combustion chamber over the block's 81mm bore?

Its probably a bad idea to put an 84mm head on an 81mm block, IF the P8R is indeed 84mm...

I honestly dont know what the outcome will be. Sounds like you may have headgasket problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have been thinking of doing this the past few days so i will be watching this thread.

so from what i understand if i where to put a regular b20b head on my b18b block it would be no differant that running the b18b head. the only way to gain anything from the b20 is to use the p8r head but that most likely will not work, correct? so it would be better to just find and entire b20 motor that has the p8r head?

·
Registered
924 Posts
yup... i was thinking of using a b20z block and a p8r head...

ive been searching all over the google world... ill keep updating on whatever i find... as far as the head gasket is concerned.. i think you would use the head gasket that fits the block.. isn't that how u match head gaskets to ls/vtec build?... to the block, and not the head?...

the p8r may probably be overrated by the nonvtec world... but hey, it's kind of fun trying to figure out how things work...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.