Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after all my other problems, I'm keeping the teg while I attend UTI. But I need an engine, and if im gonna do another non-vtec engine im gonna go with a B20. I did search the boards and if possible maybe you guys could give me solid answers and the place you got the info from.

I read the B18B and B20 heads are exatly the same.

Question: Is there absolutely no difference between the two? no camshaft difference? Nothing at all?

I also read in the IM article that the two manifolds are different. Plainy just by looking they are. And its hard or impossible to use the B20 manifold without cutting the hood.

Question: Is using my old B18B intake better for the B20?, or because we dont have all the volume and
runner info is there no answer until we obtain it?

Do you need a(n) adjustable FPR or is it just a nice thing to have?

Becuase of displacement difference is there a change to the 7k redline of my b18? I dont see why there should be because you increased bore, but I'm not 100%

And in the future if a use my old head and do headwork to it for the B20 I will need to do tuning. But if I use a SRI or CAI, my B18B or a aftermarket IM, and my DC exhaust manifold and whatever exhaust using the stock head would I need to bring it to a tuner, do it myself with VAFC or should I just leave it?

TIA

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
all these questions were answered probably in the same thread you read and got the info from.

yes using the ls IM will give better performance than sticking to the stock b20 IM, and you answerd your own question on the first one about the differences.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible I missed the answers, but I read the posts and articles a few times. I just never seemd to read solid answers. Or else it would be stupid to bring up this topic again.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
the b20 can handle the extra 7k redline. a fpr is not required unless you do some major tuning. in fact i believe the b20 uses 240cc injectors just like all the ls/gsr motors.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
If all you want is a functional swap, then nothing else is needed.

once you start modifying, then you will need a tune. Keep that in mind. If you can understand this then everything else should fall into place.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
SniperX on Apr/03/08 said:
Ok, so after all my other problems, I'm keeping the teg while I attend UTI. But I need an engine, and if im gonna do another non-vtec engine im gonna go with a B20. I did search the boards and if possible maybe you guys could give me solid answers and the place you got the info from.

I read the B18B and B20 heads are exatly the same.

Question: Is there absolutely no difference between the two? no camshaft difference? Nothing at all?

No difference at all. NoNE. NOOOoNNNNNEEEE!!!!

Quote: I also read in the IM article that the two manifolds are different. Plainy just by looking they are. And its hard or impossible to use the B20 manifold without cutting the hood.

Question: Is using my old B18B intake better for the B20?, or because we dont have all the volume and
runner info is there no answer until we obtain it?

YES its better to use the B18B manifold as its set up better for top end power. The B20B's giraffe manifold is totally designed for low end torque only.

Quote: Do you need a(n) adjustable FPR or is it just a nice thing to have?

NO, the B20B and B20Z will actually fit the LS fuel maps BETTER than the LS engine did! You dont need more fuel, the stock LS maps are pig rich on a b18b and "just right" on a B20.

Quote: Becuase of displacement difference is there a change to the 7k redline of my b18? I dont see why there should be because you increased bore, but I'm not 100%

NO, redline stays the same. Same R/S ratio, just bigger bore and pistons.

Quote: And in the future if a use my old head and do headwork to it for the B20 I will need to do tuning. But if I use a SRI or CAI, my B18B or a aftermarket IM, and my DC exhaust manifold and whatever exhaust using the stock head would I need to bring it to a tuner, do it myself with VAFC or should I just leave it?
You dont HAVE to tune anything (save the head work) but should you? YES. Do you have a DYNO? Do you have a Wideband O2 sensor? (no) Then it would be in your best interest to have it tuned on one by someone who knows what they are doing and has the tools.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for answering all my quesitons guys. You've been a great help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no! very few b20's have the P8R head. it's rare but it has 84mm combustion chambers and 33mm (VTEC size) intake valves. this head is suppose to flow the best of any nonvtec head.

·
Registered
680 Posts
back from the dead:

I recently blew my b18b out of the water...to much to fix, so I was looking into the b20 option. I have a few questions right off. Why is the b20 so much cheaper than the b18b. Would it be the best option for me to swap the b20 instead of trying to get another b18b. I am trying to stay OBDII.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also recently blew my b18b and did a full b20 swap trans and evry thing. I used my headers and im . the only thing i had to do was change all brackets from my b18 to the b20 and the crank shaft pully and motor mount on the pully side. butt otherwise it was a simple swap. any questions hit me up!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was under the impression that the b20 (b and z i believe) have great rod ratios vs ls and gsr? (i could be wrong)
the b20z was rated at a rpm max of 6900 where as the b was rated at only 6300 - not that the engine cannot run past these oem limits but it just stating that it was built to run efficantly in stock form at these limits,
i also believe that the z has a slightly beefier (for lack of better term) torque curve. and the power band is shifted more towards the top of the rpm band.

I would try to find a B20z for your build as it has a higher compression ratio, and was built for higher top end use.
8.8 vs 9.6 as i recal

I would use the b18 IM and exhaust manifold,
as stated the fuel pressure and supply can remain the same without issue.

hope this helped, didnt really stay on direct path of your questions but some insight none the less,

you can also check

b20vtec.com
there is good info to be had there (as well as here ;) )

** keep in mind that the b20's internals were not made to handle higher hp and abuse **

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
JDMInline4 on Jun/05/08 said:
I was under the impression that the b20 (b and z i believe) have great rod ratios vs ls and gsr? (i could be wrong)

Wrong. Same as LS

Quote: the b20z was rated at a rpm max of 6900 where as the b was rated at only 6300 - not that the engine cannot run past these oem limits but it just stating that it was built to run efficantly in stock form at these limits,

With the stock B20B IM/EX and fuel map, its pointless to run higher RPMs. The head is the same as LS, and the bottom end can handle an LS redline just fine.

Quote: i also believe that the z has a slightly beefier (for lack of better term) torque curve. and the power band is shifted more towards the top of the rpm band.

Low rise intake manifold (similar to stock LS) plus higher compression will do that ya know.

Quote: I would try to find a B20z for your build as it has a higher compression ratio, and was built for higher top end use.
8.8 vs 9.6 as i recal

Right.

Quote: I would use the b18 IM and exhaust manifold,
as stated the fuel pressure and supply can remain the same without issue.

Right.

Quote: ** keep in mind that the b20's internals were not made to handle higher hp and abuse **
Um, to clarify: Same head as LS. Same crank as LS. Same rods as LS. Different pistons and sleeve in block. Its not made to handle significantly higher RPMs than stock due to the sleeves inability to flex (one unit, tends to crack) and higher boost levels tend to exploit the same weakness.

kthxbye

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
christheape on Jun/05/08 said:
The fuel injectors will not work off thb20 im . I used the stock injectors off my b18 but i have a golen eagle fuel rale.
They will if you use no spacers on a stock LS intake manifold. The B20z injectors were about 1/4" shorter, so you gotta pull the plastic spacers off.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this thread is old but I've thought of more questions

It being an OBDII engine is it just pull off my OBDI stuff and swap it over? no codes or anything will come up? What about emissions? And valve cover?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
SniperX on Jul/31/08 said:
I know this thread is old but I've thought of more questions

It being an OBDII engine is it just pull off my OBDI stuff and swap it over? no codes or anything will come up? What about emissions? And valve cover?
yes.. take the sensrs and what not off the old engine and swap them onto the b20. Im pretty good with these swaps... done a few lol I do use the b20 valve cover though.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you very much. is it hard to do the swap?, i wouldnt imangine so. and is there anything i should know in advance?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I know for my teg I had to swap out the driver side motor mount bracket that attaches to the engine itself. Use your entire LS manifold, Injectors and all. Just take your time and do it right. Make sure all your bolts are torqued correctly. Ive had a few bolts back theirselves out. (what a mess) Other than all that, Just take your time dont rush. I know me and a biddy did 2 b20 swaps in one weekend. Saturday and Sunday.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome. im gonna get new mounts anyway, i have no rear mount, it's all gone

1 - 20 of 85 Posts