Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, now i know there are plenty of threads of this, and i apologize for posting another one:cry:, but i want my own questions and tips answered, or better yet, a guide and run through of what i need to do. :)

Now i have a 1995 Integra DB7, with a B18b1. ive only had it for a month or so, repairing things here and there. About the end of the month, my Motor blew.
IT was caused by a headgasket and i found out that the head needed to be resurfaced, causing a lost of oil.

okay theres the history of it.

Ive ended up ordering a 2000 B20b motor, and i was looking up on how to put this swap together and have it run good. (im looking for reliable car, not performance)

Now my questions.

- What do i need to swap from my b18 to my b20.
- the b20 is obd2, and ive heard that its just plug and play for my harness (obd1) - idk how, but they just say that. = explain?
- Do i need to change the pulley, sensors, oil / water pump? or could i just put the motor in as is without switching parts.

- my (FIT) valve broke on my thottle body, and i was hoping if the b20's will work. or if i had to switch the whole throttle body?

-And my A/c and Power steering. can i just use my LS ones, and it will work just fine?

- LS ecu okay?

Haha. :cry::scared::( sorry for all the questions, but i just want to be forsure on what i really need, and what i got to do. If you guys would take the time to discuss it with me, id be greatly appreciated. :hugs: Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
- the b20 is obd2, and ive heard that its just plug and play for my harness (obd1) - idk how, but they just say that. = explain?
b series that came with odb1 for the most part are the same b series that came with obd2. Emissions is what is different between the two. They use all of the same sensors to control fuel and timing.

- Do i need to change the pulley, sensors, oil / water pump? or could i just put the motor in as is without switching parts.
The motor should be able to be dropped in.

- my (FIT) valve broke on my thottle body, and i was hoping if the b20's will work. or if i had to switch the whole throttle body?
Not sure, I've never really looked at the b20 TB. Looking online at pictures should give you the anwser.

-And my A/c and Power steering. can i just use my LS ones, and it will work just fine?
Yes

- LS ecu okay?
No, you will be running a 2 liter now. You will need a chipped obd1 ecu with tunning. You can try and run a crv ecu, but you will need all the of emissions bs thats comes with it.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
You can run the ls ecu perfectly fine, how do I know? My b20 is running fine for months now on my ls ecu, you can reuse the ls tb, defintely use the ls intake manifold, not the b20

Its a drop in swap, literally remove the ls and replace it w the b20, reuse the ls intake, tb, intake mani, ecu and sensors (unless ur b20 came w sensors, those will work fine as well)

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
- What do i need to swap from my b18 to my b20.

- LS ecu okay?
1. Move the intake manifold and engine wiring harness from your LS engine to the B20 engine.
2. Doing #1 makes sure it will work without any issues
3. You should keep your LS crank pulley as the B20 one overdrives the alternator.
4. Your FITV broke? B20 one will work fine if it has one.
5. Use your AC and power steering. Unbolt it and mounts from your blown engine and bolt it on the B20.
6. LS ecu works fine as it's actually rich on a stock LS. I dynoed my b20 and confirmed safe air fuel ratios on a stock LS engine.

The B20 is the same on the outside as the LS. Unbolt all the stuff off your motor and bolt it to the B20 and drop it in. It's really that easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the answers guys, its a big help. My new motor is coming in Tuesday, so wish me luck on the swap. Ill keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
B18C1 to B20B???

Didn't want to make a new thread so will just ask here:

My motor blew on my 96 GSR (db8) ... could I also just drop in a B20B? Does it matter if I get a high comp or low comp engine?

I am on a tight budget and do not care at all about the loss in HP ... just want something safe and reliable to get to work and back every day.

Please let me know if it can be done and what I will be needing to get aside from the engine.

If possible, list the cost of all those parts so I can know how much ill probably end up spending. I can get the engine for about 350 .. was wondering if the entire saw could be done for around 600 not including labor. (my mechanic friend will install it and ill help)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
RE-READ ENTIRE POST.

as far as pricing, you are going to have to do your own research. It cannot be any simpler than swapping in a new LS motor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can run the ls ecu perfectly fine, how do I know? My b20 is running fine for months now on my ls ecu, you can reuse the ls tb, defintely use the ls intake manifold, not the b20

Its a drop in swap, literally remove the ls and replace it w the b20, reuse the ls intake, tb, intake mani, ecu and sensors (unless ur b20 came w sensors, those will work fine as well)
if you put a wideband in a b20 on a stock ls ecu you will find it lean at cold start and at high throttle position. the rest of it the o2 should be able to compensate. adding an adjustable fuel pressure regulator you will probably need somewhere in the 55-60 psi range to get it to be not too lean at wide open. it will still have a "leaner" spot around 4500 as the b20 makes its max tq around there and the ls is a bit higher. still in all you can get it to the low 13's at wide open you should be fine.

the rest is right on about reusing the parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
B20 swap

Hi,
Someone know more about swap in a acura integra ?
I have a acura intregra 2000 GS not Vtec with B18 stock.
but now I want to swap this with a B20z and SIR head.
I have all that I need but only one thing miss... a computer ..
So I want to know which computer gonna fit there and what the name of the cable to do the transmission between the original cable and the B20 computer!
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
What are the differences in the jdm "high compression" B20b engines vs. The "low compression" ones on eBay?
Are there differences in internals, or are the rings just bad in the "low compression" ones?
I may swap my b18b out, and do some major headwork on one of my p75 heads :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know all this info can be found via search and I apologize for raising a dead thread to, but I'm getting my license back in two days and a friend is giving me their old and tired 93 lbs and I've decided to do a b20 swap to give it a few more years of life relatively cheap. The mechanic who's going to do the job told me to get an obd1 ecu so I found a nice deal on a p75 and I got a low comp jdm b20 for a few hundred. I'm just wondering what other tune up preventive part replacement I should do without falling down the "while it's out of the car" rabbit hole. I'm thinking timing and accessory belts and water pump and thermostat. Should I get a fresh distributor for the job too. And I'm guessing plugs of course too. I pretty much just want to know what would you recommend for a tune up of sorts during an engine swap? Thanks for any advice and sorry again for the thread revival and not searching , but I'm going to be getting this job done hopefully in two weeks or less

·
Administrator
3,685 Posts
None of the items that you have mentioned require or is recommended to be done with the engine out, with maybe the exception of the timing belt & water pump (both of which are still easy to access with the engine installed).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, thank you. Sorry again for not searching. I know it's all out there but I'm getting my license back this week and hoping to get a few years out of this da with the swap and since it's so cheap I just wanted to take care of anything else that preventive wise if it was recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts