Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Im going to be doing a B20 swap in my 95 Integra LS. I saw a bunch of posts about this but none seem to be actually useful.

Can i use my LS ECU?
What Do i Have to do to make the OBD2 B20 work with my OBD1 Harness? Cant I Just Swap Dizzys?
What Else is needed?

Any and ALL good info please

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm not sure about the OBD2 -> OBD1 harness, but this article may be relevant:

http://ff-squad.com/wp/?p=309 (specifically for OBD2 so it probably doesn't apply, but just in case you throw a CEL)

I'm about to do the same swap in a week or so. I'm taking all the parts off my B18B1 and moving them to the B20B. Oil pump, pulleys, belts, alternator, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. It's probably best to do the same on your swap. I don't know if you have all the same sensors given that yours is OBD1 and mine is OBD2, so maybe some pieces don't need to be moved over.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Also, when I ordered the motor (from hmotorsonline.com) the only thing that the rep mentioned was about the CKF sensor. I never told him the year of my car, just that I had a B18B1. So you may be able to swap everything, or leave everything as it is and just plug in and reset your ECU. I think swapping the parts is a better idea because you know all the parts you have work.

If you're going to be swapping parts, you're going to want some stuff on hand. I haven't done this swap before but these are the parts that I think will be relevant:

- Enough Honda MTF for a full change. I'm swapping transmissions, but I think you need to drain it for the half-shaft?
- Enough coolant for a full change
- Enough motor oil for a full change
- New oil filter
- Spark plugs (because if the engine has 30k+ miles it probably needs them)
- Head cover and spark plug gaskets (because I plan on doing a valve adjustment if needed)
- All the gaskets between the pulleys and the engine assembly (part #2) (useful for oil pump swap)
- New upper and lower radiator hoses (mine have 205k miles on them)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Oh, and, because I plan on doing this soon, I was going to take pictures of everything I did and document it. I also had a really hard time finding concrete information on the swap, because everyone just says "it's easy". Not to somebody who has never done it before!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
yes you can use your ls ecu. all i did was put my obd 1 injectors and plug everything up because i used my obd1 harness and made a jumper (not needed because i had a obd2 dizzy) and changed out the driver side mount. You might need a new belt for the alternator also. I know because i put a b20 in my integra last month. You need to switch over the manifold also if you get the crv manifold. mines came with a P75 manifold

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
obd1 fuel injectors, obd1 dizzy (you will need to convert the dizzy harness to obd1 as well). No need to worry about the knock sensor or the oil pump. Just leave them be, or you can take the knock sensor off and send it to me.

·
Registered
973 Posts
There will only be a knock sensor on the 99-00 B20B's. tony_2018, if you're serious, I won't be using my knock sensor.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
seismic on Oct/14/10 said:
There will only be a knock sensor on the 99-00 B20B's. tony_2018, if you're serious, I won't be using my knock sensor.
I've kepted everything completely stock on my b20z, I would like a b-series knock sensor but not the one from the b20 motors. my plug wouldn't fit it and luckily I had a b16 layin around so I was able to pull it off of there. I might/might not need one when I decide to put a b20z motor in my sisters car. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
*** Removed by user at Oct 15 2010 8:49AM (Server Time) ***

Use LS Intake Manifold -Fuel rail,FPR an Injectors
obd1 Dizzy or Step Down Harness
Use your stock ECU
Use OBD1 Alt
Use Ls Driver side Mount

Knock sensor wont Matter if u have 99-00 B20.

·
Registered
388 Posts
tony_2018 on Oct/14/10 said:
obd1 fuel injectors, obd1 dizzy (you will need to convert the dizzy harness to obd1 as well). No need to worry about the knock sensor or the oil pump. Just leave them be, or you can take the knock sensor off and send it to me.
If his car is OBD1 an he switches the OBD2 Dizzy to OBD1 Dizzy why would he need to convert the Dizzy harness? Its Plug an Play...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so to sum this all up...

LS ECu is ok to use with b20
Swap DIzzys from my LS to my B20
Swap I.M from LS to B20
Swap Crank Pulley from LS to B20.

Did i miss anything?

·
Registered
973 Posts
The crank pulley on the B20b is smaller than the B18b1.

I've also read that the B20b alternator doesn't put out as much power, so it has problems with aftermarket stereos. I can't verify that.

I can take pictures of the two crank pulleys soon. I'll hopefully have my swap thread up before Monday. I'm doing the swap tonight and tomorrow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
seismic on Oct/22/10 said:
The crank pulley on the B20b is smaller than the B18b1, I believe. That would lead to problems with the timing belt.

I've also read that the B20b alternator doesn't put out as much power, so it has problems with aftermarket stereos. I can't verify that.

I can take pictures of the two crank pulleys soon. I'll hopefully have my swap thread up before Monday. I'm doing the swap tonight and tomorrow.

The crank pulley has nothing to do with the timing belt as the timing belt has its own cog that its attached to, both the same between b18b1 and b20b.

The b20b alternator is the same 90amp alternator as the b18b.

There is a slight size difference in the crank pulleys, I believe sweetteg explained the differences between both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I have a b20 in my 1996 acura integra, I'm using the stock radiator but comes to fined out it's leaking a little from ontop of the radiator. Very slowly. Does it mean I need a 2000 honda crv radiator or it does not matter? Could I just buy a new integra 4dr radiator?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Ok so I have a b20 in my 1996 acura integra, I'm using the stock radiator but comes to fined out it's leaking a little from ontop of the radiator. Very slowly. Does it mean I need a 2000 honda crv radiator or it does not matter? Could I just buy a new integra 4dr radiator?
Buy the appropriate radiator for your car (chassis). so yes, The model and year of Integra you have. And make sure its for the correct variation: Automatic or Manual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts