Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im seriously thinking of swapping my motor out with a B20 Engine from a CR-V, does anyone know or have any info on these engines.
1. HOw Much HP does it have?
2. Is it Vtec?
3. How Much Torque does it have?
4. Whats the Compression Ratio?
5. Is it better to swap this engine out instead of a GSR engine
6. Do they make performance parts for this motor?

·
Registered
577 Posts
i know your not asking my opinion, but instead of swapping out the whole engine, i think you'd be better off just taking the B20 bottom end and mating it with a B18C head. (CRVTEC)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
my mom has a 98 CRV...and these have 127hp and like 135 lb/ft of torque i believe...and the newer ones (99-01) have 146hp and iono about torque..and no..they are not VTEC...at least ours isnt..and like Gerson said..u should just make a CRVTEC engine..i might be doing that to my mom's CRV..=P

·
Registered
608 Posts
i think the highest one has 160 hp same as SI but more torque..however i thnk the SI b16A has more potential because aftermarket stuf is more common

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
1. 146 HP
2. SOHC head, you don't want it
3. 133 lb-ft
4. 9.6:1
5. No
6. Sure, you can find performance parts for any old crap car these days

It would be pointless to swap a full B20 engine into your car. The only reason anyone would ever want a B20 is so they can put a B-series DOHC VTEC head on it. The B20 SOHC head is garbage.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
so what's the specs on a b20 block/b18c head? CR, displacemtn, etc

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not a SOHC head it's a DOHC.
B20B = 97-98 CRV
B20Z = 99-00-01 CRV

It's the exact same thing as our B18a/b engine. only the bore of the pistons is different (84mm instaed of 81mm)
You need to keep your exhaust mani, intake mani and your ECU. It's the exact same bloc and same head, it's an easy swap.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
yea..it is DOHC..not SOHC..and iono how ur integra would run the engine stock..but the CRV with the B20B engine and auto tranny is pretty weak...very weak..u should just do CRVTEC or LSVTEC..i think u will just get more torque with CRVTEC

·
Registered
43 Posts
The best one to get is the B20Z, it has a higher compression (9.6:1), 146 hp and like 135 ft-lbs of torque. It will feel stronger in the low end departement than a regular
B18B (9.2:1) from an Integra.
If you don't wanna go VTEC, you need to build the head with valve springs, retainers and bigger cams such as crower 403's or 404's.
It's an interesting project, not a lot of people are building the B18B or the B20Z

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Oh yeah it's DOHC my bad, the CRV isn't something I've cared to study. A straight B20 swap would be a total waste, you'd pay thousands for the swap only to get 6 HP and 9 lb-ft torque. B20Z shortblock w/ DOHC VTEC head is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I don't think that you would be able to bit a normal B20. I thought the head was taller making it impossible to close your hood. Go with the CRVTEC, you will be much happier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh yeah it's DOHC my bad said:
B20 swap would be a total waste, you'd pay thousands for the swap only to get 6 HP
and 9 lb-ft torque. B20Z shortblock w/ DOHC VTEC head is the way to go
You don't get it. A straight B20Z swap isn't a total waste of time. The motor is rated @ 146 hp WITH[/i] the
CRV intake and CRV exhaust manifold. Add the LS intake manifold and LS exhaust manifold and it's a different story. The CRV intake mani and exhaust mani
is very restritive and is made for low end torque only. You'll get HP and torque with the LS intake mani and LS exhaust mani.
Here's a dyno, you might change your mind about the B20Z.

B20Z non-vtec i/h/e, crower 404's cam, crower valve springs and retainers: 170hp @ the wheels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know 146 is with the crv ecu, but with the ls ecu,IM and header is another story and also for what I see B20s only go for $1k or less.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I paid 1200$ canadian for mine, bloc and head. I've got my crower 404's and crane valve train too. I'll let you guys know. I should do the swap in about 2 weeks or so.

It's goin into a 1992 Integra RS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
SurferX on Jun/18/02 said:
A straight B20 swap would be a total waste, you'd pay thousands for the swap only to get 6 HP and 9 lb-ft torque. B20Z shortblock w/ DOHC VTEC head is the way to go.
Thats not true at all. You would only pay about $800 for the block and thats all you would need. The B20B/Z engine has the exact head as the LS. All you would need to do is swap in the block because you already have the head and your ls tranny works fine with the B20. I think this is a good swap for the price, afterall not all of us can afford the frank engines and GSR/Type R swaps.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
g2tegfreak on Nov/06/02 said:
yeah but the displacement wouldnt match up for the ls head and the b20 block, correct? i think...
The displacement wouldn't match up, you think?

you need to go back and learn how to calculate the volume (or displacement) of a cylinder (area of a circle x length of the cylinder) and the volume of the head bowl (combustion chamber volume or displacement).

the B20b/Z head is the B18B head. Honda doesn't even spot face the bore on the head at 81mm to the B20B/Z block bore on the CRV itself!

It's exactly the same head.

cheers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts