Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please assist if you can, I am at a loss on this car.

This week I bit the bullet and bought a whole new distributor, and the swapped Civic started right up and ran for 20 minutes. I then shut the car off, and hooked up the MSD Blaster SS coil and MSD cap and rotor, but had no start. I then switched back to the internal coil and brand new OEM cap and rotor, with no spark at the plugs still. I then got the voltmeter out and tested for voltage at the female side of the 9 pin plug with the key in the "on" position. No voltage at any of the pins, but the car still cranks. I hope this is a relay or fuse, but I'm not even sure where to start since the motor is swapped into a 1997 Civic EX.

If this isn't posted in the right location or if a different forum altogether would have better answers please let me know.

·
Administrator
4,225 Posts
How did you test for spark. Hopefully, you didn't have the spark plug out of cylinder head while still connected to the spark plug wire and attempted to crank. That "old-school" method of checking for spark is a sure fire way to fry the ICM or coil inside the distributor.

Additionally, there is no reason to connect or install an external coil. The factory Honda ignitions systems are very stout, and good for 500-600whp before needing to upgrade, and even then I'd recommend a "coil-on-plug" setup over an external coil.

You really should go through the advanced ignition troubleshooting and make sure your new distributor isn't fried: Click Me: Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you test for spark. Hopefully, you didn't have the spark plug out of cylinder head while still connected to the spark plug wire and attempted to crank. That "old-school" method of checking for spark is a sure fire way to fry the ICM or coil inside the distributor.

Additionally, there is no reason to connect or install an external coil. The factory Honda ignitions systems are very stout, and good for 500-600whp before needing to upgrade, and even then I'd recommend a "coil-on-plug" setup over an external coil.

You really should go through the advanced ignition troubleshooting and make sure your new distributor isn't fried: Click Me: Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting
Yeah I am trying to just use the internal coil. I just don’t know how to figure out where the voltage is stopping since i’m not even getting power to the 9 pin connector at the distributor when the key is in the on position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts