Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a bone stock B18c, are there any weakness in the motor?

for example:
1: i was doing some research on the head... and it seems like the valves springs aren't stiff enough, causing valve float to these motors. sooo how are the valaves?

2: Oil pump gears tend to break.... ???

In general...hondas, b series can with stand some beatings.

anyone?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
on a stock B18 with stock rev limit, you don't need to worry about valve float. Where are you getting your information?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
SRH_Integra on Apr/29/08 said:
on a stock B18 with stock rev limit, you don't need to worry about valve float. Where are you getting your information?
Agree 100%. only after driver error do you have to worry about valve float.

I would say their only "weakness" if it can be perceived as that is their rod ratio...it's not ideal, but honda took a few percautions to make certain it would not hurt engine reliability or longevity...i.e. block girdle, piston squirters.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i know of many b18c1s that go for a long time. im on 120k miles, no smoke,oil or anything. only thing i think it lacks is some torque but thats just an opinions. b18c1 is a very nice block to build off of

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
well one of the weak points of the bottom end...and usually the first to go would be the ringlands. If you plan to put down 250+ I would seriously consider forged pistons....i learned the hard way.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
97lsteggy on Apr/29/08 said:
Quote: rewsintegra on Apr/29/08lack of power... just throwin it out there

for a 1.8L engine its pretty impressive for its time.
im not gonna lie, i love it..... but think about the ca18det perfect R:S ratio, extremely rev happy, all the way up to 8k, and makes more power and torque than the b18c1. not to mention nissan made it back in 89.

·
Banned
9,126 Posts
rewsintegra on Apr/29/08 said:
Quote: 97lsteggy on Apr/29/08Quote: rewsintegra on Apr/29/08lack of power... just throwin it out there

for a 1.8L engine its pretty impressive for its time.

im not gonna lie, i love it..... but think about the ca18det perfect R:S ratio, extremely rev happy, all the way up to 8k, and makes more power and torque than the b18c1. not to mention nissan made it back in 89.

touche, but the b18c1 is N/A and the CA is turbo and only makes more torque but lets get back on track before this thread gets too off topic and locked

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SRH_Integra on Apr/29/08 said:
When should one be worried? master lol...

8800rpm? --- should the valves also be upgraded?

thanks

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Tried the search button much?

The info you read (your first post) was completely wrong, and I'm not sure where you picked it up, but if you search for it here on TI, you'll get the right answers. Spoon feeding doesn't go over too well if you haven't already noticed...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
takumi604 on Apr/29/08 said:
Quote: SRH_Integra on Apr/29/08on a stock B18 with stock rev limit, you don't need to worry about valve float. Where are you getting your information?

thanks
Why such a smartass answer? He was only trying to help and he was 100% correct.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JustinKlemgold on Apr/29/08 said:
Quote: takumi604 on Apr/29/08Quote: SRH_Integra on Apr/29/08on a stock B18 with stock rev limit, you don't need to worry about valve float. Where are you getting your information?

thanks

sorry i wasn't really trying to be a smart ass, sorry if i sounded like it...

anyone?

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
takumi604 on Apr/30/08 said:
Quote: JustinKlemgold on Apr/29/08Quote: takumi604 on Apr/29/08Quote: SRH_Integra on Apr/29/08on a stock B18 with stock rev limit, you don't need to worry about valve float. Where are you getting your information?

thanks

sorry i wasn't really trying to be a smart ass, sorry if i sounded like it...

anyone?

I would worry any time you operate the stock components well above their pre-determined operating limits. I know that doesn't answer your question but theres no clear cut answer. Like you can't put a limit on how much power your can run with turbo before you have to build the bottom end, you can't really put a limit on RPM without building.

·
Administrator
3,822 Posts
try again weakest part of B18B1
sleeves ?? pistons ?? springs ? who's got experience in this thanks
Really depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. If you're keeping it N/A and close to stock, then all the parts are pretty reliable. If you're looking to boost, then it really depends on what your power goals are. On the bottom end, piston, rods, sleeves will be your weak link. In the head, you'll want to upgrade springs, retainers, keepers, to rev.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts