Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My integra (SE 1995, 141k) has developed a bit of an overheating issue.

After driving in some hot temps in LA for about 30 minutes running the AC, and then slowing down (truning AC off) and driving for about 15 minutes 1-2nd gear , my temp started to go up. this has happened twice now, the first time i drove a longer period of time before it started to go up.

Both times i turned on my heat to pull air off the engine, both times it helped but on the longer driving trip (first rising temp drive) the engine kept getting hot and I finally had to pull off and let it cool down. During normal freeway driving the car doesn't over heat.

I have done some coolant reading on the site but haven't come up with an example I felt was close enough to my situation so any input on what could be going on or some simple things I could do to work on what seems to be a developing problem would be great.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
What is the temp outside and exactly how much is it rising? Just over half, 3/4, to the H? If it is like 120 outside and you are driving in traffic it isn't abnormal for the temp to climb as long as it never to gets to high. Check to ensure that your fans are turning on with the A/C and when the t-stat opens. Make sure your levels are correct. When was the last time you flushed your system? You may want to get a coolant tester and make sure it is still good if it has been a while.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think flushing the coolant might be a good idea, I've never done that before, is it something that i can do with basic to intermediate mechanical knowledge ? I don't mind learning at all, in fact I would love to.

The temp the first time was around 95 and it was hot driving on asphalt...I drove until it started to pass 3/4 of the way and push for the red. Then I stopped.

The second time it hit 3/4 pretty quickly and it was only about 80 degrees outside (it was actually around 10:00 pm) I got stuck in some LAX traffic and it started to heat up after about 15 min....but it cooled down when i turned the heat on and I didn't have to stop.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If it is climbing past 3/4 there is probably a problem. I've had my 94 LS in Vegas at 120 in traffic and it only climbed to just under 3/4. You can do a flush pretty easily. You can get a better flush at a shop that does pressure chemical flushes. The pressure flush will get every bit of old coolant out and replace it with new coolant. And the chemicals will clean out all the gunky build if there is any. If you do a flush yourself you pretty much just get the coolant in the radiator and not the coolant in the engine as well.

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
A stock or bolt on integra should never get past half regardless of the weather. Sounds like a bad thermo.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Turning OFF the "recirculation" button and putting the slider to hot, without turning the fan on...will this help cool the engine? It still blows even when the fan is off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
boridragon02 on Sep/06/07 said:
The blowing it's doing with the fan off is just the hot air from outside the cabin flowing in through the vents since the recirculation button is off
I know. The question is if this helps cool the engine at all, since the air flows into the cabin rather than being trapped in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Eh, it's very minimal flow, it's not really being forced out, it's just flowing. Whereas the fans forcing it out into the cabin allows it to flow faster in a larger volume, and cools off your coolant a bit in the process. So without the fans on, it's like your just making your cabin a part of the engine bay. It probably wouldn't help too much, maybe a small drop if any. Besides when you're driving, even if your engine is hot, the air in the engine bay is close to outside temps. The main heating issue is inside the engine itself and with the coolant.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The big problem is when you are sitting in traffic. For him since it is only like 80 outside the outside temp should have nothing to do with it. It is a problem with the fans, coolant, or t-stat. Unless, do you see or hear any boiling coolant, if so then it could just be your cap.

T-sats are supposed to fail in the open position, but sometimes they fail in the closed position and will cause over heating problems.

The reason a car will sometimes go past half is in extreme conditions. Like I said. Vegas outside temp 120, asphalt temp is much higher, in combination with the heat that your engine is producing and sitting in traffic with no airflow. The coolant cannot cool off with no air flow causing any car to start getting hot.

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
Airplan727 on Sep/06/07 said:
The reason a car will sometimes go past half is in extreme conditions. Like I said. Vegas outside temp 120, asphalt temp is much higher, in combination with the heat that your engine is producing and sitting in traffic with no airflow. The coolant cannot cool off with no air flow causing any car to start getting hot.

With a properly functioning fan and thermostat, this will not be a problem. Period.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never heard that. I have talked to different mechanics and have heard that it isn't nescessarily bad if your temp passes half when under extreme conditions. In fact, my dad was told it's not uncommon in a perfectly maintained 300zx TT that he owns.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Sounds like you are low on coolant. If the resevior is full, let the car cool off and check the radiator to see if it is low.

If your radiator is full and the resevior is low, then you probably have a leak somewhere. If the resevior is overflowing and the rad is low, you either have a bad rad cap or possibly a blown head gasket.

When my GSR had a blown headgasket, it was leaking combustion gasses into the cooling system which overpressurized it. This pushed coolant past the rad cap and then overflowed the resevior. The radiator would eventually get low on coolant and it would start to overheat when sitting in traffic, but cool off when driving at speed. The heater could also cool it off.

You can check for a blown HG by getting a test kit at an auto parts store that detects hydrocarbons in the coolant. The open deck design of the B18 engines usually blow in the center section which seals the cylinders from the water jacket. If it blows here, you will not get oil in the coolant.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
hopefully it's just your thermostat. I changed everything. Radiator, Hoses, Thermostat, Coolant. Then found out it was a bad head gasket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.