Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after finding a reason to build my engine (car got stolen and recovered, blew the motor), I just recently got the block back from the machine shop and started assembly today!!

This is what I am going with:
94 B18b block, bored .020 over, GE block guard (painted cast iron grey, much like gunmetal)
Micro-polished and chamfered crank
ARP Headstuds
JE ITR 11.5:1 pistons (yielding 10.8:1 in b18b)
Eagle H-Beam Rods
92 B18a head w/3angle valve job, P&P, Crower Dual spring valve train
Stock cams, AEM cam gears, AEM fuel Rail and FPR

Now you guys are wondering why the hell am I going to run stock cams with this set up, it is because I am going to be boosting, yep thats right, JRSC will be on it within the next 3 months!

I of course know there are other mods to be done to accomidate boost in which they will be done as well.

I also will be strapping a ACT ProLite Flywheel and Exedy Organic Race cluth as well.

Here are some of the first pics that I just got done assembling the the accesorries onto the block, I am waiting for my bearings and gasket kit to come in to throw the rest of the stuff together!!

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm so pumped to get workin on this!!! I'm looking forward to long hours in the garage puttin the beast together. All I ask is a test drive! lol

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
wow, sounds like you're building a pretty nice ls monster! i'm not totally sure but isn't it kinda hazardous to be running high comp. with FI? I'm just curious, I'm planning on increasing my compression also but was wondering how much could you boost a high comp. engine?

·
Registered
436 Posts
What sort of things have you done to learn how to assemble a block/engine? I will be undertaking a B18C1 build pretty soon (a learning experience...) and figure I ought to start figuring out how it's all done =P

Looks good BTW =)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as you keep boost levels down you are cool, like dabluboy just ran 11:1 with a JRSC on his gsr and his torque was flat line, his is a monster!! My boost level wont be going over 6psi so I am cool!

As far as learing experiance, its really hard to tell. I have been working with domestics (early 70's) motors alot in high school and out of it. THere are ToNS of resources on the net, T.I. as #1, but also C-Speed and lots of books at the library too.

Your best bet is to jump into it, learn the workings of a motor! When you take it apart, identify each part and remember where you put the bolts, etc. So far I havent misplaced any bolts but I am just touching the surface of the the build so crossing my fingers!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm excited to jump right into it! =) once I fix my Integra, I'll be boosting it, and then I'll pick me up another B18C1 and start working on it. I'll probably be throwing it in a stripped hatch or something; I'm not quite sure yet...

I've read a bunch of the articles on C-Speed, and nearly ever engine article here on TI. I just can't wait to get some use out of book smarts - they only get you so far =P It'll be fun and interesting (and a bit scary!) but I'm very, very excited to get going!

·
Registered
87 Posts
looks good nick.. would of been nice if that paint on the block came out a little darker, (or maybe its just the pic?) but looks good as hell... keep it up!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
phenom3030 on Feb/05/04 said:
wow, sounds like you're building a pretty nice ls monster! i'm not totally sure but isn't it kinda hazardous to be running high comp. with FI? I'm just curious, I'm planning on increasing my compression also but was wondering how much could you boost a high comp. engine?
For the 7 thousandth time, you do not have to worry about high compression w/boost. You only need to worry about tuning. His "high compression" is only 10.8:1 which is good for a street setup but not exactly what I think of when people say high compression. Low compression for boost is a myth. You build a block w/specific goals in mind, you wouldn't want an extremely high cr to be boosted, but anything under 12.5:1 and you should be fine as long as your not pushing massive amounts of boost.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
it'll be neat to see boosted high-cr non-vtec motor. i know mine liked the high-rise vtec cams--i couldn't get vtec point low enough.

what'd you decide to tune it with? hafta start shopping around early for systems/tuners that don't mind working with such a "touchy" setup. don't know what their beef is, my WOT tuning only took 2 hours.

good luck. high-cr with boost is fun. soon enough, it'll be at least 9 psi for me

·
Registered
988 Posts
I will tell you this. on the LS. DO NOT GO PAST ABOUT 230HP to the wheels with that high of compression.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hakamoto on Feb/05/04 said:
For the 7 thousandth time, you do not have to worry about high compression w/boost. You only need to worry about tuning. His "high compression" is only 10.8:1 which is good for a street setup but not exactly what I think of when people say high compression. Low compression for boost is a myth. You build a block w/specific goals in mind, you wouldn't want an extremely high cr to be boosted, but anything under 12.5:1 and you should be fine as long as your not pushing massive amounts of boost.
I agree. Without tuning, I could see a big problem. And without good tuning, I ould see a little problem. As long as the setup is tuned well and to its full potential, everything should run fine.

Many think that lowering compression on a boosted car will allow you to run more boost safely. While that may be true to a point, lowering compression is a way of getting around a very solid tuning job.

Tuning is your best friend when it comes to boosted vehicles... atleast mine it is. Tune, tune, tune, and you should be all right.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Also, I forgot to commend you on the engine build up. It looks like it is going great and I hope that we will soon see the finished product. Keep up updated with the progress and when you complete it, times and/or dynos.

Awesome job.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
yea thats one of the first things i noticed was that paint job on it, i was like damnnnnnn brand new block, but then i read. it looks hot man. definatly jealous.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Awesome buildup, I am impressed. Let us know how those ARP headstuds are working out.

Personally I like the design of the AEBS better, but AEBS felt a B18B stud was unnecissary. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts