Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over heated the car once. and i haven't ran the car since. reason is cause a heater hose under the manifold blew a hole and i believe i've got a blown head gasket. my question is, the engine runs w/ any type of pinging noise or scraping noise, but i can't leave it on for long cause, duh!, no coolant recirculation. i figured, i have to replace the head gasket and heater hose so while the head is off, take it 2 a place, buy a head gasket kit that includes all the gaskets and seals on the head, and have a shop replace everything and tune it up. does anyone know how much this would cost if i were to take the head off my motor, B18a, and get all the gaskets/seals replaced and then reinstall the head myself? i haven't much time to take apart the head and do the work myself. if there are any ideas, anything would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It's not going to be cheap.A good shop is going to want to make sure that head is flat before they put it back on, which could involve some machine work.

With the gaskets, whatever hose you need to replace, and the security of knowing that the head is no warped, it could cost up to $1k.

If you want to do it yourself, make sure the head is NOT warped and you can probably do it for about, $200. That's my best guesstimation for you.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
A good shop that isn't trying to rip you a new one will do the job from anywhere around $600-800. And that's with machining and everything. Do it yourself and you're looking at around $300 for a Honda head gasket set and a lot of time. Like Dave said, you also have to make sure that head is not warped and the easiest way to do that yourself is to put the head on a flat surface (preferably a mirror) and make sure it doesn't wobble at all. If it does, take it to a machine shop and have them do what they need to do. That could run you anywhere from $200-300. Add it all up and it makes more sense to take it to a reputable mechanic that will cost you a little more, but you also have a warranty on the labor if anything messes up. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
90_DA_Teg on Apr/21/04 said:
A good shop that isn't trying to rip you a new one will do the job from anywhere around $600-800. And that's with machining and everything. Do it yourself and you're looking at around $300 for a Honda head gasket set and a lot of time. Like Dave said, you also have to make sure that head is not warped and the easiest way to do that yourself is to put the head on a flat surface (preferably a mirror) and make sure it doesn't wobble at all. If it does, take it to a machine shop and have them do what they need to do. That could run you anywhere from $200-300. Add it all up and it makes more sense to take it to a reputable mechanic that will cost you a little more, but you also have a warranty on the labor if anything messes up. Hope that helped.
Um, personally something as important as the head I wouldn't trust a wobble to tell me if it's flat. Unless you've got tools for machine shop work taking it to a machine shop is the only option I know of....and if the head IS warped and you don't get that fixed there's a good chance of a repeat problem. What are your future plans for the car...it might be worth it to get an upgraded headgasket (metal).
Later,
Jared

1 - 4 of 4 Posts