Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here so please be gentle!

Recently acquired a '98 GS with a swapped 2000 LS motor, B18B1. The engine is having overheating issues so I figured the first thing to do is radiator, thermostat, water pump and timing belt while I'm at it. I'm at the point where I need to pull the crank pulley off, and I need to keep the car in time when putting on the new belt. The only problem is, there's no timing cover! I have no where to reference the timing mark on the crank pulley without the cover, so my question is..

I've rotated the cams to the up position, the #1 piston is TDC, and I have pins put in for the cam locks. Can I use this in conjunction with the TDC mark on the timing pulley and lining it up with the oil pump arrow to make sure the engine is in time?

Is this okay to do, or do I really need a lower timing belt cover to keep everything in time??

Forgive me if this has been asked previously, I promise to use the search function in the future! Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Administrator
3,931 Posts
"Technically", you should be ok. But for me personally, my OCD would want that reassurance, and I'd be finding a timing cover. That's just me, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What an awesome site! Thanks so much wino!
It can be a very useful site for part reference and price range estimates, but I have found it is not very up to date with actual inventory on the linked sites. Once you find the part you want, you’ll definitely want to contact the respective salvage yard and verify the part is in stock and ready to be sold, because the last few items I’ve used that site to acquire ended up coming from the 3rd or 4th choice in their listing. The first few were always gone already at the salvage yards that listed them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts