Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 92 GSR with the B17 motor in it. Now my question is, what is the difference between the B17 and the B16? I have been told that the only difference is the block, and that the heads are basically the same.

Is that right? (Looking in MD's way...hehe)

Im wondering this because I have finally saved enough to get the motor work Ive wanted for a year now (JG Head, JG IM, Rods and Pistons, and Cams), and I can get a JG B16 head anytime from a buddy of mine that works a local shop (Hes the one that told me this, and said that it would be fine).

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
no the I.M is Totally different, making the head (ports) totally different too(on the intake side). I think the oil port is from block to head is on a different side too. the stroke is longer than a b16 but shorter than a b18a,b or c. the bore is the same size (81mm). I'm not 100% on the rod length but I think it is identical to the b18.

if you replaced the head you'd most likely need the new manifold as well.

how about a head for me?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
click here for some info

The B16a and B17a IM are the same size plenum and runners in a single stage layout. The heads are identical (42.7 cc head volume).

The B17a rod length is identical to the LS at 137 mm. The stroke is 81.4 mm. Therefore the rod ratio is an impressive 1.68...can rev pretty high. Obviously the bore is identical to the B16a at 81mm and the final displacement is 1677 cc (1.7L if you round up..B17a).

The B17a cams and valvesprings are identical to the B18C1's and the Gen 1 B16a's.

please tell me this: why do people, like the person who replied, guess and give out wrong info like that?
Actually, to be honest, I think he got confused about the 2nd gen GSR B17a and the 3rd gen GSR B18c1 which has the dual stage IM...the B17a does not have the same IM as the B18c1...just to clear that up...it's an honest mistake...but please try not to guess...I do it sometimes and I get slapped on the wrist every time...we're human, we make mistakes...I try to keep that occurance to a minimum if I can...it usually takes more effort....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! The myth that has plagued me for so long has been answered. Thanks Mr. Mechael Delaney, Sir.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, cool dude. one more question. With the JG head and IM I want to get, what kind of cams, pistons, and rods would YOU get to go along with them(Im going NA)? Im planning on getting a Nitrous system too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Umm... sorry, *BUZZZZZZZZZ*!!! hehe. Yes they did make a GS-R in 1992. It was the first year they offered it in the U.S.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
gee MD, don't we have an article on all the models?

gosh darn it you're right! there is an article on tegs and the models for each gen and year...

well MD, I'm going to check it out!

very team kool green...or is it team kool andretti?

I like talking to myself sometimes...it's very therapeutic...LOL

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
cams/pistons/rods I would pick for a B17a upgrade....hmmm, the nitrous is the kicker...how much nitrous do you wanna run? if it's a 50 shot max. then maybe I can suggest something that is respectable off the juice but can handle the cylinder pressures on the button (or program if you have a Zex or Venom kit). want more than 50 shot? then we are in another ballgame....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I get the Nitrous, Ill prolly use a 50 shot for just runnin around town. If I ever decide to go to the track, I would like to be able to give it a little more, maybe to 75.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Sorry, mike I was posted on the info I read from mike kojima's SCC articles and joe pettits books (vol 1&2)
I must have got them mixed up. they speak of an upside down butterfly assembly in the b17 and the I.M sits in a different position. I have never seen the two side by side myself though.
apologize for the confusion.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MD, did you ever think about the cam, rod, and piston question I posted? I have my own ideas about what I want to do, but I would like to have a 2nd opinion from someone that really knows there stuff. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
short overlap high lift cam...the intermediate cams would be good for you ....Skunk2 Stage 1, Toda A, Spoon, Crower 63403, or Zex 57200 ....any aftermarket forged piston and rod is stronger than the stock piston/rod for nitrous.

Wiseco or JE piston and Eagle or Crower rods...

In a B17a the VTEC should be around 5300-5500 rpm. You need to get the VTEC out of the way first and then add nitrous. You lose traction if they are activated around the same time. Even ITR cams need at least a 5200 rpm switchover. So it will be tricky to co-ordinate the events timing....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm building a second B17A1 with the following:

CTR OS pistons (11.4:1 comp)
Shotpeened stock rods (modified to fit CTR pistons)
ARP rod bolts
ARP head bolts
balanced bottom end
Crower 63403s
Crower dual valve springs + Ti retainers
Skunk2 cam gears
STR fuel rail
310 cc injectors
190 l/h fuel pump
Hondata stage 2 & IM gasket
ITR IM + throttle body
AEM CAI + pwer pulleys
DC header
Thermal catback
+ other odds + ends

That setup should rev REALLY well past 9000 rpm! But NOS would most likely kill it though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
True, but I want a bit of extra injector capacity for future upgrades. The reprogrammed ECU will control those 310 cc injectors quite nicely.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I won't. Should my buddy pull his 310cc out of his LS/VTEC as well? Makes only 195 whp with a crappy header, stock cat + 2.25 exhaust.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Uhhh ohh I feel a smart ass slapdown is coming in effect!
(Ducks for cover!)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
uh do you guys realize that MD is only giving this information out for your advantage. whether you want to follow his advice and do the right thing, considering he has experienced all of these situations before and acutally knows the hows and whys as to the costs and benefits, or not follow his advice and cause yourself future problems is up to yourself. he doesnt take this time out of his busy life to benefit himself. oh and by the way how much do you really think he cares if you and your friends dont want to take his advice and do things the wrong way? my guess is not much...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts