Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 94 LS, i also have a first gen b16a1 motor and i wanted to do ls-vtec but i fegured out it would cost too much to rebuild my bottom end (134,000 Miles on ls motor) and plus the b16a1 motor i have is a less then 35,000 mile motor from japan. i have been told i will be slower then my ls motor if i do a str8 swap.. i think ill be about the same speed because ive raced Si's and lose by a car length or 2.

so the qustion is if i do a str8 swap, b18b1 to b16a1.. will i actually be slower ?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It's low end vs high end power. It will probably "feel" slower, the B16A is gutless when it comes to torque. Whether you will actually be faster or not I guess depends what you are trying to be faster in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well, SurferX is right about the Torque being less, however an LS only makes 140 HP the B16 make 160 and has VTEC... So, it will have a little more HP, but I think it comes with a little less torque... I had a friend that had a 93 teg with a B16 in it and it was quicker than when he had his LS in there. But that was the 93 teg, not the 3rd gens. Hope this helps.

Later,

Sean C.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've dusted an SI in the quarter, if that's what you want to be fast in. (No need to worry we were at a track). He had Intakee & exhaust, and I have intake. I know every car is different, but I just wanted to give you some idea.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You said you have a g1 motor, the b16a1. one problem. The g1 (usdm) has the d16a engine in it. if you have seen the numbers on the block then all is well, but if it came out of a g1 and you are assuming, you may be in for a surprise. I own a g1. I am not some terminology freak, I just want to make sure you have what you think you have before you make any decisions.

Woody

P.S. I am not sure, but I think jdm g1's went vtec in 89. usdm not until 91 so that puts you in g2. Don't rely on these numbers. I really don't remember. but I thought it might be helpful.

·
Registered
663 Posts
yeah, i say since you have the b16 already out, go ahead and rip it apart and rebuild it with pistons, rocking arms, cams, etc. you would be dusting a lot of things, not just tabletops (sorry, cheezy joke. i apologize).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Woody_2436 on Sep/25/02 said:
You said you have a g1 motor, the b16a1. one problem. The g1 (usdm) has the d16a engine in it. if you have seen the numbers on the block then all is well, but if it came out of a g1 and you are assuming, you may be in for a surprise. I own a g1. I am not some terminology freak, I just want to make sure you have what you think you have before you make any decisions.

Woody

P.S. I am not sure, but I think jdm g1's went vtec in 89. usdm not until 91 so that puts you in g2. Don't rely on these numbers. I really don't remember. but I thought it might be helpful.
he has a first gen B16a
they came for the SiR crx

·
Registered
987 Posts
some one on the board has a b16a1 in there 3rd gen
what is the weight on the 99 civic SI
i am pretty sure there close.so if you they are,you should be running in th area of 15.6-15.8,i cant remebr the times
but also,when you do a swap,you have to go forward,if you have emissions,FL doesnt,so i may be lloking at the swap my self

·
Registered
395 Posts
my teg could keep up and keep up and sometime beat my friends civic si with the exact same mods, and im also running with an ls tranny which means much longer gears so it slows the car down a lot. The other driver has also had the car for about 2 years so he has more experience driving with a vtec engine. Our mods are itr intake manifold, cai (i just have short ram), clutch, header, exhaust, timing....I kind of miss the torque of my ls engine though. just make sure u alwyz in vtec otherwise it is very slow.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Let's please not turn this into an Integra LS vs Civic Si thread. That's not what the question was about. We're talking about a B16A motor in an Integra, I don't know why we should even have to mention Civics.

·
Registered
123 Posts
are the gear ratios closer in a civic? if so can i buy a type r engine, and put a si tranny in it?

·
Registered
910 Posts
you can easily increase the hp of an engine, but increasing the torque is more difficult. i say stick with the b18b block.

·
Registered
878 Posts
hey go with the ls vetc ne ways ive seen afew of these with alot more miles than you have and its a hell of alot of speed if thats what your looking for.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think im just going to do a str8 swap. later im going to get all the bolt ons and probably some internals... the main thing is that the miles are MUCH lower, the question was though.. will i be slower stock to stock. and does anyone know if i need motor mount kit for the swap ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts