Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i read MichealDealney article on Engine Package: Swapping Parts for power at least 4 times, and read up on a few other articles. however, i am still i little confused. I want to raise my CR in my ls, by swapping b16a rods into my ls since its a direct fit. this willl raise my CR but where will my power come in? more low end? more high end? or will i simply have to dyno it. also, after the swap, since my car is OBD I, im guessing i should take it to the dyno anyway and reprogram it? what are the effects if I didnt take it to get tune/reprogrammed after the swap?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not sure about the power gains, but I know my buddy has b16 pistons in his 94 LS and just a CAI and it hangs with GSR. Not sure if it was such a bright idea or what the point being of just doing pistons and with the cleareance issue's with the valve seats and what-not, but hey whatever floats your boat.

GoodLuck.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you go to Rutgers University undergrad right? what's your major?

static CR has to do with combustion thermodynamic efficiency. The peak torque location has more to do with volumetric efficiency: IM, cams,displacement, exhaust sytem.the only way pistons can affect powerband performance directly is by the piston crown's shape and how it affects flow coming into the chamber and scavenging (eg. a big high surface area crown that also blocks scavenging across the intake to exhaust valve may affect high rpm power).

the engine is a compromise between breathing vs. burning efficiencies.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You raise compression by changing piston dome height, milling the head, or changing head gasket thickness.

I didn't see anywhere in the Article that rods effect compression.

However, read up on Rod/Stroke Ratio and see what B16 rods will do to your R/S ratio in your B18B engine. I don't think you will like it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, i meant b16 postons not rods. ur right, i dont like what b16a rods would do yo my rod/stroke ratio lol.

yes i go to ruters in new brunswick. business management.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
RuPace12 on Mar/26/04 said:
I want to raise my CR in my ls, by swapping b16a rods into my ls since its a direct fit. this willl raise my CR but where will my power come in? more low end? more high end? or will i simply have to dyno it. also, after the swap, since my car is OBD I, im guessing i should take it to the dyno anyway and reprogram it? what are the effects if I didnt take it to get tune/reprogrammed after the swap?
I knew you meant pistons instead of rods once you started discussing CR. The pistons don't directly affect powerband location.

it'd be a good idea to consider what cams you run with them though.

The cams affect both powerband location and cylinder pressure/burn efficiency.

as for tuning, after a CR change you should fuel tune so that you don't have a lean situation and grenade the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts