Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to add guages to the driver side pillar of my teg. im looking through the autometer guages and im wondering what the difference between mechanical and electrical guages are. also, is it easy to install yourself or would you recomnd going to a shop. im looking to get an oil pressure and either a vaccum or air/fuel ratio. which would serve better? thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
mechanical - requires a probe to be present in place to measure (ie. drilling the block to get oil pressure)

electrical - wiring to the ecu (for those cars equipped, like ours) that have OBD-computers...information is provided by voltage.

get teh a/f ratio gauge...don't worrry about vacuum.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info LT, im gonna go with the elec. which means, i will go with the a/f. how would you install these to the ecu. is it something i can do myself, or should i bring it to a pro?

·
Registered
26 Posts
get a helms manual it has an ecu wiring diagram all you have to do is splice it into the correct wire

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my experience, Autometer Gauges may be the cheapest, but they suck. If you are relying on them, at least shop around. Greddy and HKS are much more expensive but much more reliable. The pieces I had the most trouble with are the EGT gauge, and the Oil pressure Gauge. The sensors are crap. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Mechanical gauges really suck. For example, if you wanted to do a mechanical oil pressure gauage, you'd have an oil hose running from your oii pan to behind your dash. Kind of scary if you ask me.
The electical gauges are a little bit more money but they're geneally easier to deal with.
I'd probably go with VDO gauges.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the oil pressure gauge if you get mechanical is more accurate, but i would definately have someone install it for you (there is alot of pressure flowing in that little line into the car). I have the a/f and the mechanical oil pressure (but i haven't hooked up the oil pressure due to a lack of time). As long as the person who installs it is competent you should have no problem. Anyway, the autometer a/f gauge isn't that accurate until you get to WOT, but it works pretty well nonetheless (and looks cool too). I don't have much experience with other companys, but to my liking, I see no problem with autometer. Anyway, good luck with it all-

·
Registered
142 Posts
what are the best gauges to get if i just have intake,header,exsaust, and all bolt ons. Like i have air/fuel, but what else...thanks again

·
Registered
108 Posts
one20two on Jun/29/02 said:
In my experience, Autometer Gauges may be the cheapest, but they suck. The sensors are crap. Just my 2 cents.
Are you talking about the electrical guages or mechanical? I ran Autometer Sport Comp guages in my Race Car for five years with no problems what so ever. The Pro Comp guages are a step up and are liquid filled to reduce vibration. These are the guages that all of NASCAR uses as well as everywhere I raced.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
cdrlmr on Jan/19/03 said:
Quote: one20two on Jun/29/02In my experience, Autometer Gauges may be the cheapest, but they suck. The sensors are crap. Just my 2 cents. Are you talking about the electrical guages or mechanical? I ran Autometer Sport Comp guages in my Race Car for five years with no problems what so ever. The Pro Comp guages are a step up and are liquid filled to reduce vibration. These are the guages that all of NASCAR uses as well as everywhere I raced.
AGREED... why would the pros use them if they are $hit?

·
Registered
743 Posts
LT6916 on Jun/29/02 said:
mechanical - requires a probe to be present in place to measure (ie. drilling the block to get oil pressure)

electrical - wiring to the ecu (for those cars equipped, like ours) that have OBD-computers...information is provided by voltage.

get teh a/f ratio gauge...don't worrry about vacuum.
You do not have to drill the block for a mechanical gauge and you do not wire the elec. gauge to the ecu.
The mechanical guage has a tee fitting that treads into where your stock oil press. sending unit is now. Your stock sending unit treads into one branch of this tee fitting and the oil line treads into the other.

A electric gauge has its own sending unit not unlike the factory sending unit. It treads into the tee where the line would go in the mech. setup above.A signal wire is ran from the new sending unit to the gauge, therefore no oil line in the interior.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Biofreak70 on Jun/29/02 said:
the oil pressure gauge if you get mechanical is more accurate..........
That used to be true, now days the elec. and mech. are just as accurate. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
743 Posts
one20two on Jun/29/02 said:
In my experience, Autometer Gauges may be the cheapest, but they suck. If you are relying on them, at least shop around. Greddy and HKS are much more expensive but much more reliable. The pieces I had the most trouble with are the EGT gauge, and the Oil pressure Gauge. The sensors are crap. Just my 2 cents.
Their American as apple pie and have been around a hell of alot longer than,say, tucan industries. As already stated nascar has used them since the majority of us were born along w/ many other forms of racing have adopted it as the only ones to use.

Domestic drag racing wouldn't be the same w/out em' and I myself have had them in cars and trucks in the past. My point is, cars running as low as 6s in the quarter wouldn't be using them if they "sucked", nor would 500mph + boneville land speed race cars.

I'm sorry that they dont make indiglo's or 7 color flip flop colors, and that their not jdm and therefore "suck"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts