Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really worth it ? Any estimates on how much it would cost for the parts? How long would it take ? ... or how much it would cost to have it professionally done?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey RJ, I don't really have any good info for you, just wanted to say that my Dad and I did that on a 1965 Mustang. Went from auto to a 4 speed, and let me tell you it was a lot of work...and that car was fairly easy to work on. I suppose it's all relative, we're not mechanics so it took a real long time. But in the end we were successful and it was definitely worth it, but certainly a lot of work.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would estimate around $1500-2000 for everything. I guess it would depend on the type of tranny you want and the shop you go to. Like me, I have an auto LS too with around 135whp but more is waiting to be released once I convert to the stick, if I decide to that is. I'm looking for a GSR tranny which will be more then the LS more then likely and also a JDM ITR final drive. Just with those two pieces, the tranny and the final drive, I'll probably be looking at close to $1000. If I have the money and I'm done with investing for the year then yes I'll do it. As far as it being worth it I would have to say yes. I haven't driven a stick but I've been in my brothers Sunfire, dad's F150, and friend's gsr, all sticks and they all say it's great.

·
Registered
198 Posts
this thread is being answered like a year late.lol but to keep topic the conversion is not really worth the cost and time

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'll give credit to integra84life for using the search function and not starting a thread on the exact same subject.

If I were going to take on this type of project, I'd try to buy an teg from the junk yard that had the slave cylinder, slave master cylinder, pedals, and all the fittings involved that is attached to the car or 1/2 cut. This would give you a great reference to where everything should go and you'd have all the needed hardware. You have to take into consideration having a junk car near your house, but if you can get away with it, go for it.

In a logical stand point, one could perform the hard wear swap months in advance without disabling the current AT setup, then the tranny could be done on a later date, once the right tranny is found or funds become available.

·
Registered
72 Posts
its not as hard as everyone says but it is sort of a pain in the a$$, helped my friend with his. If youre mechanically inclined it should cut your costs by a bunch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well i would suggest trading in your teg for a manual one cuz u dont wanna risk the new transmission not even working correctly after you are done! Ive heard stories of that happening. Then you would be facing a car that is not so stock anymore (hard to sell), and no car if its your only one. . .

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey just quick question everyone, my good friend wants to do a swap on his auto integra to a 5-speed...I was wondering if you guys who have done this, can give me a complete list of parts and items that he would need and if possible, best place to get them (junkyard I suppose?), and how much it would be to have it professionally done (labor costs between 500-700?). I kind of compiled a list here based on a bit of research, but I dont think that its complete and would like all the help I can get. Thanks very, very much in advance, greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeap did read up on the mount while researching, Im not sure if my friend was considering that though. Oh very nice link, thank you very much =O), exactly what I was looking for. I wasnt able to pull up that artcle tho sigh must be my inattentiveness =( .Thanks for your time =0).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but you can get a JDM B18C with JDM automatic. That is my direction after weeks of research regarding the complexity and cost of conversion. Some say its easy. Some say not. My 92 GS was in excellent condition when I acquired it two years ago. Unfortunately it was an automatic. I have restored and upgraded the suspension, brakes and body. The interior was like new. I wrestled with whether to slap on a bunch of peformance parts but once I researched it, my package goals were better achieved by upgrading to a B18C. I was looking at converting because in North America the GSR came only with a 5 speed. I discovered though that in Japan, they produced an automatic version. I found one and am going to go that route. I did not feel comfortable in being able to find the conversion parts in the kind of condition I want and I did not want to pay huge dollars for new stuff. Maybe I am over estimating the number of wrinkles but I live in Eastern ontario, Canada and there is not a huge supply of this stuff locally or expertise. Were I in Toronto, I might think differently. The only spec I can't find is the gearing on the JDM tranny. I have to believe that the gearing was appropriate for the horsepower and torque curves of the B18C as opposed to those for the B18A/B. Anyone interested in information on where I acquired the B18C, feel free to contact me. Its being delivered next week. The complete package including delivery is $2900 Canadian. As far as I can tell its a drop in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts