Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, for all of you automatic transmision integra owners (like me), you don't need to down shift to first when you're at a stop. The transmision automatically puts the car into first gear. So why would you manually put the car in first gear, when it's already in first at a stop? I have an automatic just like you guys...the only difference is that I don't try to trick myself into thinking that I have a manual like some of you do when you shift your auto. So stop already with this "shifting in an automatic" junk.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
95teg_ls on Jul/12/02 said:
OK, for all of you automatic transmision integra owners (like me), you don't need to down shift to first when you're at a stop. The transmision automatically puts the car into first gear. So why would you manually put the car in first gear, when it's already in first at a stop? I have an automatic just like you guys...the only difference is that I don't try to trick myself into thinking that I have a manual like some of you do when you shift your auto. So stop already with this "shifting in an automatic" junk.
Yes, we understand the concept of an automatic car, but if you do the shifting, you can hold the rev's longer. If your in like 3rd gear and you drop it to 2nd gear and then back to D3, it brings up the revs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
look, at the light just put it in d4 rev it up leve your foot on the brake and when it turns green just gun it from there. You guys keep going like that your next post is gonna be...MY Tranny is f**ked up..dont do that homies. and a auto is way more expensive to fix than a manual.

·
Registered
389 Posts
SteveO on Jul/12/02 said:
Quote: 95teg_ls on Jul/12/02OK, for all of you automatic transmision integra owners (like me), you don't need to down shift to first when you're at a stop. The transmision automatically puts the car into first gear. So why would you manually put the car in first gear, when it's already in first at a stop? I have an automatic just like you guys...the only difference is that I don't try to trick myself into thinking that I have a manual like some of you do when you shift your auto. So stop already with this "shifting in an automatic" junk. Yes, we understand the concept of an automatic car, but if you do the shifting, you can hold the rev's longer. If your in like 3rd gear and you drop it to 2nd gear and then back to D3, it brings up the revs.
SteveO, if you want to shift PAST redline start in 1 and just shift it manually. If you want to shift at ~6800 PERFECTLY in every gear then leave it in D4 (or D3). Its as simple as that.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
When i make a run, i brake and start at 3k then when i'm runniing in D4, i barely floor, but when the revs pretty high i slam the pedal down so it drops it down and it down shifts and gos back to that gear making it hit a little over 68k i do this on 2nd and 3rd, but i don't get it consistently.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ok so yea, why would the manual say that you can shift "1-2-d3-d4, in a manner similar to a manual transmission" er whatever if it effs up your car? and this "power braking"... is that like where youre at a light, put your left foot on the brake, rev it up with the right, and to launch just let off the brake and floor it?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Yes punk that is correct. I'm not sure i remember seein gtha tin the manual too but i don't trust it you know?
I did a nuetral drop once and never again will i do it.. I spun the tires ofcourse.. but the sound of the gears sounded like scraping metal not cool..

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yikes, guys unless you want to purposely ruin your auto tranny to do a manual swap be careful what you're doing.. over time shifting manual from 1st will hurt your tranny.. I may sometimes up shift to D4, or downshift to D3 when merging onto incoming traffic I find it picks up better. Don't do this all the time.. its 'AUTO' remember?

If you want to understand how an automatic transmission works and see the cross section of a torque converter go here, it also gives you some tips on how and when you should shift manually w/ your auto.

www.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm

www.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

once you read this article you'll realize how highly complex an auto tranny is in comparision to manual.

Some tips for those who drive manual or auto drivers who want to learn more about how it works:

www.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

·
Registered
177 Posts
my teg goes a little past redline when it shifts gears and i floor it. and i don't manually shift it. i do, however leave it in D3 when driving around town, because it easier to maneuver around and the revs stay higher so you can accelerate really well. but if i start to get the rpms over 5500 i usually push the shifter into D4. i don't know if you 5-speed guys know this but, you don't have to push the button on the shifter "in" when shifting from D4 to D3. so, it's like honda left that option up to you (which you prefer). and it does state in my owners manual that you can drive in either one, D3 doesn't redline until you go 80MPH.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's ok to shift from D3 to D4. I don't do it very often, mostly when getting on the highway. But I am thinking twice about it now....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts