Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many automatic GSR's have they made? My friend said he was buying a fixed up gsr and i looked at it on autotrader.com and it said it was a automatic and i was wondering did they even made automatic gsr's? This may be a stupid question but i need to know. Thanks

Later,
Garin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
nope, never produced.

the only way an auto GSR would exist would be either a) a tranny swap on the GSR (why the hell, I don't think anyone is this stupid), or if someone dropped the GSR engine into their RS/LS/GS.

other than that, Acura has never produced the VTEC series cars with autos. correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think that the CL/TL Type S, RSX Type S... those only come with 6 speeds right? I don't think the auto version (base) of those cars come equipped with vtec do they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
Honda has made 0 automatic Acura Integra GSR's.

I guess you can't spell performance with an automated tranny. And to make it work properly, the auto tranny would have to shifts way beyond vtec engagement, just to squeeze the performance out of it, and let it rip to somewhere near redline before shifting. My guess is Honda would have eventually made an automatic GSR if it introduced a sport shift option in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
timpac167 on Sep/01/02 said:
My guess is Honda would have eventually made an automatic GSR if it introduced a sport shift option in the car.
Is that what the 97+ auto Preludes have? Same thing as the new generation Eclipses... that thing where you can push the shift knob over and it has a "+" or "-" or something like that?

Dad's Lexus GS400 has that on the steering wheel. Upshift button on the front, downshift button on the back of the wheel. It's nice if you were wanting to reline each time, or stay in a certain gear, but doesn't perform near as well as an actual stick... in fact I think it's more trouble than just driving a manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
The CL and TL type S do have automatic transmission. In fact, when these cars came out, that was the only option.

Acura eventually gave into customer demand for a gearbox.

And doing a GSR engine swap into a non vtec transmission is nonsense to me since the gear ratios would be to tall for the engine.

So basically Integraman, your friend is buying a piece of fixed up crap. Don't let him get conned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
NeoSilverTeg on Sep/01/02 said:
other than that, Acura has never produced the VTEC series cars with autos. correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think that the CL/TL Type S, RSX Type S... those only come with 6 speeds right? I don't think the auto version (base) of those cars come equipped with vtec do they?
CL/TL Type S came with an optional 5 speed tiptronic/manumatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
they never made an auto gs-r that i've heard of

but they do make ex civics with sohc-vtec with automatic trannys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought I read a post a long long time ago about how they made an auto GSR in Japan.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
25,239 Posts
Yes, they make GSR's (called sir-g) in Japan in both auto and manual. No they don't have an auto gsr in the usa....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,186 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Sep/01/02 said:
Yes, they make GSR's (called sir-g) in Japan in both auto and manual. No they don't have an auto gsr in the usa....
yep. they had auto gsr's in japan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
940 Posts
is it the GSR thats in las vegas? someplace called Fletcher Jones Lexus? or something like that? i live in vegas and i saw that on that site too, i went to check it out, but the company was closed, (labor day and sunday) so i'll check it out sometime
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
i know tihs is an old thread, but to comment on the uselessness of an automatic GSR, the fact that the tranny is auto has nothing to do wiht it. the gear ratios are the important factor. Hell the new R32 Volkswagon Golf has the fastest shifting production tranny ever made, (.08 seconds about ten times faster than normal trannys) and it is based around the principle of an automatic even though it has clutchless manual paddle shift mode. the human will never be faster than the machines we can make, so as long as we keep designing things like the R32, i will say as i have said in other posts...Long Live the Auto Tranny!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
JustTegIt on Mar/29/03 said:
i know tihs is an old thread, but to comment on the uselessness of an automatic GSR, the fact that the tranny is auto has nothing to do wiht it. the gear ratios are the important factor. Hell the new R32 Volkswagon Golf has the fastest shifting production tranny ever made, (.08 seconds about ten times faster than normal trannys) and it is based around the principle of an automatic even though it has clutchless manual paddle shift mode. the human will never be faster than the machines we can make, so as long as we keep designing things like the R32, i will say as i have said in other posts...Long Live the Auto Tranny!
automatic trannys are inherently less efficient than manual ones because manuals have a direct plate-to-plate power transfer system whereas autos have a fluid transfer system (ever heard of the term "slushbox"?). the fluid tranfer system is less efficient and, consequesntly, less power is delivered to the wheels. it doesnt matter how fast you can shift gears, it wont help how much power is lost from the crank to the wheels. thats why all the sports cars use manuals. plus, with all those paddle shifting transmissions, you cant launch from a dead start like you can in a true manual where you have a clutch to play with, wheres the fun in that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
SiR and SiR-G in Japan come with automatic transmitions as well but with 170 PS instead of 180.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,638 Posts
"you cant launch from a dead start like you can in a true manual where you have a clutch to play with"

actually you CAN. for instance in the R32 the ECU is so advanced that when placed under hard acceleration, the engine will ALWAYS be in it's powerband...above 5000 RPM's, so what if you start a little lower than manual, you will lose much less time in the long run...
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top