Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove an 99 Acura TL a few weeks back. The salesman was giving me all the usaual sales pitch's about the car's perk's etc. one of the things that I found interesting was that when you floor it the car automatically bypasses the air-conditioning funcion. Thus giving you more power when you really need it. He said that Acura has started implenting this function on many of their newer cars. I asked him what his definition of "newer" was, because I was interested if my car (99LS) had this feature as well. He didn't know.

So my question is: do the integra's have this feature too? I can feel a noticable decrease in power when I have my A/C on and normal throttle levels but is my "powerloss" at WOT all in my head?

I'm interested to confirm or disprove this because I just remembered that when I had my car dynoed a few months ago in the middle of the scorching Phoenix summer.....they sampled the whp w/ my A/C on!

I didn't even realize till I got back in my car and 99tegls (from TI) pointed out that his A/C was still on from when we had arrived.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Sorry man, no teg has this. When he says newer tegs, he means the new models entirely, like the new TLs etc.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured. Well thats not the big deal.

The big deal is that my car was dynoed w/ the [email protected] air conditioner on. Which might be one of the culprits of my relatively low power output.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
BlueTeg on Sep/18/02 said:
Thats what I figured. Well thats not the big deal.

The big deal is that my car was dynoed w/ the [email protected] air conditioner on. Which might be one of the culprits of my relatively low power output.
LOL yeah that could do it

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
my friend's 97 Neon has that feature. You can feel the cold air stop blowing when at WOT. My teg for some reason, gets this 'jump' at high RPMs when the a/c is on............very weird.

·
Registered
406 Posts
just out of curiosity do any of you guys' a/c resemble the sound of a supercharger? Because i turned mine on and my friend was riding shotgun and i passed a car and it started to make that whining sound like a supercharger and he goes "When the hell did you get a supercharger?" and i told him it was the a/c...pretty funny stuff

-Jon-

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
yea, mine does the supercharger "whirl" too.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This is valid for a '99 GS-R, I am not positive about other years/models.

The ECU does disconnect the compressor at 7600 rpm because that is the compressor's redline. I installed an adjustable vacuum switch to disconnect the compressor under high engine load - this method works better than a simple WOT switch.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SurferX on Sep/18/02 said:
Wow what a bust BlueTeg, makes you feel better though doesn't it haha.
Yeah....kind of. I'm taking it back this fall for a pull to see if my numbers improve w/ my carsound cat, a tune up, and no focking A/C.

·
Registered
457 Posts
AC while on the Dyno? That's messed up Blue. Post the numbers after this next dyno run. BTW my teg makes that S/C sound while on AC too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to install this feature on a teg. Can one of our hardcore tech guys figure it out or somethin
ALso, this may be impossible to figure out, but when I drive our 325i and start accelerating or shifting gears fast, it actually turns up the music. It's so bad ass, anyway like I said, shot in the dark but would be cool if I knew how to do this as well

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
sh*t, those germans think of the coolest stuff! Is it designed to be one of those "driving excitement" things their always talkin about, or is it just there to drown out the buetifal sounds of a bmw straight six (that would be a tragedy).

·
Registered
655 Posts
damn BlueTeg! well... now you can look foward to your next dyno and know your going to perform better! can't wait to see the results man!
btw, yea... my teg has the "whirl" too (when I'm not at WOT... cause then I can't hear it over intake and exhaust, just hear between 2k-4500 RPM)

my teg is NOTICEABLY slow (no not just cause it's auto) but when the AC is on. Feels bogged down, like I'm being held back. If I'm going say 50, uphill and it's kinda slow I kick off the ac and instantly I can feel a power difference. Instead of my AC stop blowing cold at WOT like that Neon mentioned above... mine turns ICY COLD, brrrr!

Oh yea... my question is, the AC slows you down... what does the heater do? In about 3 months or so I will need full heat in the mornings to make it to class. Does that restrict my power too? IF so, is it because of how hard the vent is blowing (1-4) or the temp setting??

·
Registered
655 Posts
lostyouth on Sep/19/02 said:
ALso, this may be impossible to figure out, but when I drive our 325i and start accelerating or shifting gears fast, it actually turns up the music. It's so bad ass, anyway like I said, shot in the dark but would be cool if I knew how to do this as well
new chevy trailblazers have this feature too. as you slow down to a stop (ie: at a red light) you can have the option on or off, of the music gradually lowering to "x" percent of current volume. like on aftermarket deck with the ATT button. Like if your volume is set to 30, the ATT button changes it to 10.

the trailblazers, new bmws, and infinitis (to name a few) have this feature. as you speed back up and the faster you're going the louder the music will return to it's original setting or louder. (to compensate road noise going 80 on I-75). cool huh?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
No your heater does not do the same thing, it takes heat from the engine bay.

And that feature on the BMW is on about every newer Chevy that I've seen. It's on my sisters Monte Carlo. I, personally, hate it.

And the way to make it so your ac shuts off whenever you're at WOT, is quite simple. OK, whenever you want to floor your car, look for a little button, it's in the middle of the dash, it says "A/C" and has a green light on it. Now, when you want to floor your car, push this button and your AC will shutoff...man I know, it's amazing, I did all this research myself.

Now I know what you're thinking; Damn Justin, how do I get the AC back on whenever I have ceased WOT...well hold on to your pants, you push that SAME button, and voolah!!!! It's back on...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Sep/19/02 said:
And the way to make it so your ac shuts off whenever you're at WOT, is quite simple. OK, whenever you want to floor your car, look for a little button, it's in the middle of the dash, it says "A/C" and has a green light on it. Now, when you want to floor your car, push this button and your AC will shutoff...man I know, it's amazing, I did all this research myself.

Now I know what you're thinking; Damn Justin, how do I get the AC back on whenever I have ceased WOT...well hold on to your pants, you push that SAME button, and voolah!!!! It's back on...
heh heh heh! LOL justin. You know it's funny, alot of people hate you or "despise" as another member has put it before... for your sarcasm. I think it's great man. Ha ha ha, I laugh at your posts all the time. Thanks for being one of the reasons I read some of the posts on TI, man.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Lol justin, you're right of course. But this is AMERICA!!! America the beutifal, America the free, America the diverse, America the... lazy! Hey, lets face it, its true. Americans excerise the least of any demographic, are over 50% clinicly obese (that stat hurts! 50 percent!!!), and invent more convience devices than the rest of the world combined. Hell 90% of drivers here are lazy ass too. For example, in germany you're lucky to find a cupholder anywhere. Why? Well in a country where you can legally do 213mph in you're Porsche 911 turbo going to work, where you pay $1800 dollars for a license (no, I didnt forget a decimal), and where they can charge you 20k for tailgating on the autobahn, where if you're caught using the left lane for anything but passing or speeding really fast you can be put in jail, its clear they take driving a little more seriously (and despite speeds crossing 300 km/h they have a .43 annual accident rate per 100 cars compared to our .54). Personally I'd trade my cupholders and cruise control anyday for the kind of driving enviroment you get in kraut land, but 90% of americans wouldnt. So for now people are gonna keep on asking for cupholders, in dash TVs, flashin lights and automatic devices up the ass. So theres not much chance of anyone cyclin their ac manually around here ;-p.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts