Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me when i autocross my car I am putting major wear and tear on everything...Is autocrossing that hard on the car? Is drag racing any easier on the engine or anything...oh and when most of you auto-x do you shift at redline all the time? thanx for the input

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
It does put more stress on your car than normal driving, but integras are really built to take a beating. If your suspension and engine are in good condition, you should be fine to autoX to your hearts content.

If you have failing shocks or something, no doubt AutoX is going to make it worse.

Yes, you in general shift at redline in AutoX.. some cources you never leave 1st though.

·
Registered
545 Posts
and don't forget the brakes StyleTEG. Any kind of racing is going to put stress on your car. But with autocross your putting in more stress factors. Drag is putting G forces just on the Y axis while autocross is both X-Y axis. Just maintain your suspension and engine and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Autoxing usualy only involves 1~2 shifts, so it's not really an issue. Tires to take a beating, as well as the braking system. Other than that, it's cake.

·
Registered
296 Posts
aogawa on Aug/28/02 said:
Drag racing is much more detrimental to the engine than AutoX.
I don't thinki would go as far as to say that. How can you say that drag racing is more detrimental? Maybe i'm wrong but you're taking the engine to the max in either one. I can see saying that autox isa little easier on the transmission maybe, but the engine is going to be doing pretty much the same thing in either one(revving real high)

If i'm way off on this just slap me across the back of the head

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
probably the worst is having to buff out the cone marks... even the best of drivers take 'em out every once in a while, right?... as long as you maintain your brakes and your suspension, the rest should be fine.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Okay, I want a follow up (2 years old since ya'll guys told this guy to go do it), has anyone broke anything? Worn anything of great expense out? or not that great expense? Auto people would be nice, I read all your threads too haha

I need to join a club at my college and driving club is the cheapest haha, and I saw two bad accidents late yesterday night while I was out driving around so I think I have to take it to a track or something...

I just want any new info ya guys might have failed to report, don't tell me, go race! cause I'm just doing research right now.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Tires....everything else is normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Please please take it to a track.

I have a 95 LS w/ 99k miles on it and I haven't had anything go bad as a result of autocrossing, which both my dad and I do once a month. I'm still on the original clutch and there's no signs of wear there.

My best advice is to be extra cautious of the normal maintenance necessities. Always check your fluids before you go to the track.Not just the level, but also the condition of the liquids themselves.

Really you should already be doing this though - this is just another reason to do so.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Gvtec on Aug/24/02 said:
Autoxing usualy only involves 1~2 shifts

Yep. Probably the 1-2 and that's all. Most autocross courses are run entirely in 2nd gear so there's practically no shifting involved.

As for safety, autocrossing should be relatively safe. If the course is set up correctly, the worst thing that can happen is that you spin out and take out some cones.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I simply justify the abuse of the car during autox by not abusing the car on the street. When I drive on the road I do the speed limit and the rpms usually stay under 2000-3000. I also break gradually whne i am on the street.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Yep...I pretty much agree with Peyton, except I like the every now and again trip to redline...

I take out all my aggressions on the AutoX track...I beat the absolute piss out of my R when I'm autoXing because that's what it was made for...I have no qualms about something breaking while I'm on the track...these cars can take A LOT of abuse.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
well every now and again i like to put the hammer down. Ive found that driving slow makes you forget how fast this car can be which kinda makes it fun.

As far as auto tranny damage i dont have any to report. I seriously doubt any true damage. In my average auto cross it stays in 1st until about 6000 then I put it into 2nd which is where it stays. In my opinion that is not too hard on the tranny.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Nope...I wouldn't worry about it...Hondas are meant to take a beating...My Accord has 251,4xx miles and it runs like it just came off the showroom floor...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Did you read how Mitsubishi was voiding warranties on Evo's used in any timed events? If you AutoX and have a warranty, you probably don't want to mention it to the dealer. Apparently Mitsu searches the internet for mention of specific cars and owners.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts