Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen lots of auto tranny thread lately so maybe some of you guys can help. I have a 99 GS auto with I/H/C/E and some 18" wheels. My car has about 57k on it and today on my way to work I was going maybe 45-50mph on the feeder and I accelerated to pass someone. Well I gunned it and after downshifting into second, I bounced off the rev limiter. The shifter was in D4. This should not have happened. Does anyone know the cause of this? solution? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
yeah that happens to mine also. not all the time though. you can either tighten the shift cable or just let it be. it hasn't hurt mine yet. that i can tell

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, usually when I floor it, the tranny will shift around 6800 rpms, the rev limiter is at about 7100-7200 rpms. My car didn't shift as it normally would have so I bounced off the rev limiter twice and then it upshifted. Like the transmission didn't want to shift into third. I'm going to change the fluid sometime this week.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
It may be slipping, but you have to remember our auto trannies are not meant for performance. So that would be beating it.lol It would definatly be a good ideal to change the fluid.

It only gets out 3 quarts, but you can do it more than once if the fluid is that bad.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It shouldn't be that bad. I replace it every 3 oil changes, 9,000 miles, and I always do it twice to flush out most of that bad fluid. I'm going to go to the dealership sometime this week to see about them fixing my taillights, hopefully the transmission is still under warranty.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealership says it's not under warranty anymore. Don't know exactly what to do. I've heard autorx is a quality additive, but I'm also curious to know if anyone has tried anything else? I won't be able to drain and fill it until next week, unless I break out the drop lights tonight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my car does that as well. . . .my opinion is to dont floor it if u did :)

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Wow, that's never happened to me. Hmm... I got 42k miles on my car, got to check the service records to see if the fluids ever been changed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
my 88 integra used to do that when it was auto...it used to shift correctly and then i guess i wore it out from punching the gas.......sometimes id floor it and it would feel like the thing shifted into neutral...sucks.....so i switched over to 5spd :)

fyi....its not always a good idea to change auto tranny fluid very often..the cluth packs inside the tranny get worn and the material from the clutch packs gets in the fluid.....a lot of the time that crap in the fluid helps the clutchpacks....when u change it a lot it wears the clutch packs out a lot faster...

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Hakamoto on Mar/10/04 said:
Dealership says it's not under warranty anymore. Don't know exactly what to do. I've heard autorx is a quality additive, but I'm also curious to know if anyone has tried anything else? I won't be able to drain and fill it until next week, unless I break out the drop lights tonight.
How do you drain the tranny fluid? What do you do for maintenance on your auto tranny and engine itself?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well for one you drain it just like a manual, there is a drain bolt underneath. It's pretty much like changing the oil. When I do it, I always drain and fill it twice. Honda ATF-Z1 is not cheap though, so once maybe enough for you. Engine maintenance I just follow the owner's manual under harsh/severe conditions. I have not yet had time to do mine, hopefully I can get to it tomorrow or tonight.

·
Registered
685 Posts
jdmkraziestyles on Mar/15/04 said:
Quote: Hakamoto on Mar/10/04Dealership says it's not under warranty anymore. Don't know exactly what to do. I've heard autorx is a quality additive, but I'm also curious to know if anyone has tried anything else? I won't be able to drain and fill it until next week, unless I break out the drop lights tonight.
How do you drain the tranny fluid? What do you do for maintenance on your auto tranny and engine itself?
[/quote]
To drain the ATF, there's a bolt thats located under the car on the passenger's side. Warm up the car a little bit, then just drain the fluid. To refill the fluid, you'll need 3 qts (2.9 to be exact) of Honda ATF. Pull out the AT dipstick, and get a long nosed funnel. Pour in the ATF and put back the dipstick. Next, turn on the car and cycle through you gears from D1 up, ending on Park or Neutral. Lastly, you wanna pull the dipstick and check your ATF level.

Overall, the best thing to do when I comes to ATF maintenance is frequent ATF changes. I prefer to change my ATF every 10-15K miles rather than the recommended 30K intervals.

Some additives in the market to consider are Lubeguard, Lucas Stop slip and Auto-Rx. I've heard some good things about Lubeguard, but have never used it.

I however, have used Auto-Rx in my oil with favorable results, and am going to use it in my AT. What the Auto-Rx does is that it liqufies the unwanted particles and contaminents located in the AT. I'm going to have analysis done on my ATF before and after Auto-RX and see if it makes any changes to the chemistry of the ATF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts