Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some opinions, I have a auto LS, with I/H/E, cam gears, pulleys, and I have already done the ignition. I want some more power and I wanted to know if I should go with a Turbo,SC, or NOS. I have no ideal which one whould be better for automatic. Hopefully some of you have some good suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, answer a few questions for us first so that we can give you better opinions...

1. What horsepower goal are you shooting for?

2. What kind of performance are you looking for ex: drag racing, road racing, autocross, etc?

3. How much money were you looking to spend?

If you can answer those question we can give you better opinions!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I my car is daily driven and I take it to the strip once in awhile. Money isn't really a problem, just have to save a little more. I know the turbo and sc setup would be a couple grand. Well my goal is to run low 14's one day. oNe of my friends was saying that an SC setup for an auto would mess up your tranny. BUt then somebody else said it wouldn't....anything on that?

·
Registered
389 Posts
More power = more stress end of story. I chose nitrous for my auto LS because I can choose how much and how often I use that power. I use my car daily and occasionally go to the strip. I have achieved high 14s with my setup (check profile), basically stock timing & plugs. Low 14s might be a little optimistic with a dry setup. You might have to get away from the "daily driver" theme a little if you want to get low 14s. The half to 3/4 of a second in question there will be quite expensive. I'll probably stop where Im at now.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Aren't you have tranny problems adam??

·
Registered
389 Posts
nope, tranny is fine here. I even replace the fluid more frequently just to keep it that way.

I might have inquired previously about upgrading my tranny if I wanted to increase power any more, but Ive pretty much decided that the reliability, cost, and accessibility of going to that next level of performance is quite prohibitive for me.

I do have an interesting little tick coming from my front right end though that is totally unrelated if you have any ideas there?? creaking sound from front right of car?

·
Registered
457 Posts
i don't like NOS myself i would go turbo and just turn down the boost for every day driving adn turn it up when you get to the track

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anybody have or know somone with a turbo setup on an auto Teg?

I just want to know if they had any problems with the Tranny by doing this? one of the employees at a performance shop in Orlando told me almost something similar to what Adam5743 said. That a turbo would put to much stress on the tranny.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I personally do not LIKE Nitrous...However, a turbo eventually would rip your Auto tranny apart ! Unless of course you upgrade it ! Ahh ha no one mentioned that ehh ? I forgot the name of the company...help me out here guys...They make a tranny or kit that can handle turbos/sc's...Name of that company is ?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
adam5743 on Sep/03/02 said:
nope, tranny is fine here. I even replace the fluid more frequently just to keep it that way.

I might have inquired previously about upgrading my tranny if I wanted to increase power any more, but Ive pretty much decided that the reliability, cost, and accessibility of going to that next level of performance is quite prohibitive for me.

I do have an interesting little tick coming from my front right end though that is totally unrelated if you have any ideas there?? creaking sound from front right of car?
No, I just thought that was you who was having tranny problems...something with the 3 and 4th gears. Oh well, I messed up, my bad...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a website that I can find this upgrade or tranny that can handle a s/c or turbo? Or should I just look into a auto to 5-speed conversion?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Jeffs4drteg on Sep/03/02 said:
Is there a website that I can find this upgrade or tranny that can handle a s/c or turbo? Or should I just look into a auto to 5-speed conversion?
I know this much if you stick with the auto you will with out a doubt have a unique ride. The down side that goes with that is its going to cost you. Doing the conversion is cheeper. But its like I stated before, not too many people have a forced induction auto.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've met a handfull of people with auto Tegs, i ahven't met one with a broken tranny, but they all say they can tell the tranny doesn't like nearing that 250 Hp mark. But htne again i haven't seen these people on a usual basis Either. Btw from all the bs I put my Auto Through its holding just fine. Occaisionally if I rev while i am maneuly shifting the car it'll slip, but My 79 monte carlo was the same way, along wiht my 80 Firebird. So i guess this is usal for a higher mileage auto.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Well I'm going to bring this post back to life just because I'm thinking about doing this also. I don't want to boost up to 250 HP, maybe just 6-8 lbs. Is there any cost difference in turboing an auto from turboing a stick? Also, my dad and I (we were talking about it) were curious if there is a different approach to an auto turbo as far as installing one?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Auto's will not go as fast as the manuel, (more drivetrain loss in the auto.) And the price will be no difference wether you were auto or manuel.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts