Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[edit: March 1st, 2004]

The "How to install a clutch on a G3 Integra" article is finished. Check it out. If you have any specific questions regarding this article, please post them in this thread. Thank you.

Within the next two weeks I will be attempting to install my new ACT HDSS Clutch and Integra Type-R Flywheel. In the process, I'm going to also be installing some ES motor mount inserts since it will be the perfect opertunity with everything out of my way.

Within this thread I plan to document the whole process and basically make it into a thread-based tutorial. I will be perodically taking pictures while I work and posting them up with a discription on what I'm doing.

ere's what I'll be installing:

ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate

ACT Performance Street Disc

ITR Flywheel

First things first, I need to get my flywheel resurfaced. Since I'm going doing that, I figured I'd weigh it first.

The ITR flywheel (33k miles) weighs approximately 15.5lbs. I'll reweigh it once I get it resurfaced.

The adventure has just begun! Feel free to discuss and ask questions about anything you see in this thread.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i have the same plate and disc but i have the act 12.5lbs flywheel. Really, the clutch didnt make a difference at all!! only the pressure plate by adding more pressure on the clutch pedal. as for the clutch grabing, it feels like stock. maybe little better but if i knew this, i wouldnt have boght the Streetdisc. I would get the 'next up'(4 puck?) plate if i had to do it again. newayse if you do decide to put it in, do tell me what you think.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
vicious1132 on Feb/06/04 said:
i have the same plate and disc but i have the act 12.5lbs flywheel. Really, the clutch didnt make a difference at all!! only the pressure plate by adding more pressure on the clutch pedal. as for the clutch grabing, it feels like stock. maybe little better but if i knew this, i wouldnt have boght the Streetdisc. I would get the 'next up'(4 puck?) plate if i had to do it again. newayse if you do decide to put it in, do tell me what you think.
If you went with a 4 puck you would either be full on or full off as far as whether or not the clutch was getting

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
race clutches are definately not practical for street. I've driven my buddy's s2000 with a race clutch.... its hard not to stall. you have to do a lot of quick, light feathering each time you start from a stand still. i actually wouldn't mind one in my car also, i prefer performance over practicality on street. then again, its probably not as safe, but oh well..

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
I drove ryougazilla's car not long after installing the same setup (clutch-wise). It definately doesn't feel like stock, much firmer and grabbier. A hard shift of mine was enough to break a fuseholder for his stereo under the hood!

...still feel bad about that... but at least he's rich

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Also, where did you get your clutch and how much did you pay?

I would like to do pretty much the same thing as you, but I want a tighter geared transmission to drop in at the same time (probably B16A2).

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welp, I just droped off my flywheel to get resurfaced. It will be ready for me to pick up in 30minutes. Tomarrow I play to reweigh it using the same scale as before.

I also got my ES polyurethane motor mounts in the mail a few days ago. Basically my dad and I are planning on knocking this sucka' out this weekend (hopefully). I'm going to charge the batteries in my camera in preperation.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As promissed...

From having my flywheel resurfaced, they (Modesto Clutch and Brake) took off approximately 0.5lbs. My flywheel's total weight is now a hair under 15lbs.

Look at her. All nice and shiny.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Question: What's the gain on the ITR flywheel?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So it's just weight reduction. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rgaray on Feb/20/04 said:
So it's just weight reduction. Thanks.
No. It has nothing to do with weight reduction. It has to do with increasing acceleration and transit responce. I suggest you conduct a search because there are endless threads talking about the performance of lighter flywheels.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks. I didn't mean to sound lazy. Good luck with the project, it would make a really helpful article.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a late start today by not having any free jackstands to use, so I didn't get as much done as I wished. I plan to continue this project tomarrow morning.

Following the directions in the helm manual, here's what I've accomlished so far...

[edited out... refer to the article for "how to" information]

Overview:
Basically everything went pretty smooth; I didn't have too much trouble. The only things that gave me a little grief were the top tranny bolts and the three 14mm nuts on the A-pipe. I needed a breaking bar with a nice long combination wrench on the end to break them loose.

·
Registered
975 Posts
looks like this is gonna have to be added to the artical section
im not sure if there is one

1 - 20 of 132 Posts