Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can change the metric display to english units on the AFC-R boost controller? If so where can I find instructions. Thanks , Joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
i know you can't change the km to mph. it reads in psi though right? just currious, since i am buying an avcr for $300 used, how do you guys like this boost controller? easy to use? pro's and cons please. thank you

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the avcr uses bar rather than psi.
it is also a very good boost controler, however it is alot more difficult to operate than the greddy profec series IE b, a, and e-01.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
once you get everything setup and get the gear values set in. Its pretty much just set the boost level you want and the duty cycle and the unit with self learn your duty cycle throughout the rpm range and adjust to keep boost stable at what you want. once I had mine setup. I can be driving down the road. Increase the boost level and change the duty cycle a little and increase boost all in a matter of a couple of minutes and a few pulls. Now your boost will be limited by the spring you use. Right now im running a .7 Bar Spring and the most I can see with the duty cycle at 90% is about 1.4 Bar. So I would say you can double the pressure your spring in the wastegate is at. But its a very good boost controller. Plus you can setup gear based boost if needed. If you need any help with setup just let me know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
so the avcr is a better controller than the profec B spec II? and what do you mean by the less reliable the boost is going to be? i've got 2 springs an 8 psi and a 5 psi. i am currently using the 8psi spring. i am also using the vafc hack. the avcr shouldn't interfere with the vafc's fuel settings should it?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i ment that if you have a .4 bar spring and you are running .8 bar the chances you are going to reach that boost without the wastegate opening is decreased. thats how i mean by less reliable.
really a boost controler is a boost controler. the only things different are other tasks that the comtrolers can do. such as staged boost, data loging ect.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
StyleTegGSR on Feb/02/04 said:
you can typicly go way more boost than the spring is made for, but the more and more you get the less reliable the boost is going to be
I disagree on this one- unless you are using a manual bc the most i have every pulled out was 2x the spring pressure -- this is because you can only hide no more that 50% of boost even at a 90% duty cycle

couple things to note on EBCs -- very good tuning tool
should not interfere with other electronics howver, fot eh guy using a vafc hack-
if you up the boost without retard of timing and extra fuel in the rpms that take more boost you are looking to raise temps and --- well you all konw the rest-- boom ring a bell?

mostly its aesthetics and options that make one different than the other---some have data logging as mentioned like the E-01 that can log for 3 hrs, whre as teh avcr logs for upto 1min 30 secs
all depends on what you want to spend and ifyou want the newest technology.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
95gsrturbo on Feb/03/04 said:
I disagree on this one- unless you are using a manual bc the most i have every pulled out was 2x the spring pressure -- this is because you can only hide no more that 50% of boost even at a 90% duty cycle
there is no set % of boost you can hide from any wastegate. its simply the more you go past the springs limits the less reliable it will begin to get. %50 is just a blanket number that people choose to use because in most cases you can go twice what the wastegate spring can allow. but also in most of those cases you can still go over twice. Ive seen people run 1.1bar on a .4 bar spring with a profec A. and it hit it every time. There are alot of things thast come into play with this, and really when dealing with forced induction a blanket number or statement, is not somthing you want to go by.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Im going to have to go with 95gsrturbo on this one. If I run a 90% duty cycle. I can not go past 1.3-1.4 Bar on my .7 Bar spring. Its not that I dont want to or am afraid to its just the the boost controller simply cant stay closed any longer. So that the wastegate doesnt see boost. Its not a matter of me not wanting to go past but that it simply cant be done.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
again you are basing your statement off of a blanket statement. there are plenty of people who can run well above twice the wastegates limit. one thing that could be true for you 2 is that you are both using a avcr. different controlers perform differently.
Never base anything on your car around a blanket statemnet

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
What spacificly makes twice the amount the maximum you can push? give me a reason why. just becuase an avcr can't go over twice the limit(wich it can) doesn't mean that others cant

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
the way most controlers work is by creating a leack in the actuator signal line. so if you are running a .5 bar spring and you have a .7 bar leak, it will take 1.2 bar to open the wastegate.
do you get it now?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Lets start with the wastegate (WG). It has two parts. one is the actual flapper valve in the turbine housing for an internal gate, or the valve mounted to the O2 housing or manifold as an external gate. This gate swings (internal) or slides (external) open to allow exhaust gasses to bypass the turbine section of the turbo, so it cant contribute to building boost. on an internal, the bypassed gasses rejoin the regular exhaust gasses in the O2 housing, or can be dumped to atmosphere with an external dump O2 housing. With an external, the bypassed gasses almost always vent to atmosphere (loud) but can also be made to reconnect to the O2 housing.

The second part is the actuator. This is what actually operates the valve. It consists of a simple diaphram in a canister, attached to a rod that operates the flapper valve on an interal gate. on an external the diaphram is connected to the valve by a short rod that pulls the valve off its seat (much like a intake/exhaust valve in the head). There is a boost line connected to the WG actuator canister that allows boost pressure to push on the diaphram, which in turn moves the rod, and opens the valve. A spring pulls it closed. The boost level that the WG opens at is the same amount of pressure it takes to overcome spring pressure. So a WG with a 10 lb spring will need 10 psi to open the valve and limit boost. It acts as a closed loop control system for boost pressure.

The way a boost controller works is a pretty simple concept. But there are two types. First, the old style "bleeder" types. It just bleeds off some of the boost in that line so the WG doesnt see it, and stays closed allowing more boost to build. If we look at out 10 lb spring, and we "bleed" off 5 psi, we get 15 psi boost. The other type is "ball and spring." This type uses a spring loaded ball and seat valve to keep boost from ever reaching the WG actuator. once boost rises enough to lift the ball off the seat, pressure is allowed to rush in and open the WG. So tightening the screw puts more pressure on the spring, holding it closed tighter, requireing more boost to be able to blow past it and open the WG.

Electronic boost controllers like my profec do the same thing, but with Pulse Width Modulated solenoid valve.
Like TegGSR said, reading how boost controllers work, what makes 2x the spring the magic number?

The only thing that prevents you from turning up the boost infinetly, is there is always pressure on the other side of the WG valve. So essentially more boost = more exhaust pressure. At some point you are going to start forcing that spring open from the other side.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you think you can i want you to come here and have me run a stable 2 Bar off my .7 Bar spring. Believe me ive tried. The boost controller just cant do. Its not a blanket statement. This is what my setup does. Im just not pulling numbers out my ass here. This is what ive seen on my car and a few others. With the same setup as mine.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
it can be done, i have seen it on a 35mm with a avcr. it may just be the way you have it hooked up, or you may be doing somthing wrong, but i have seen it done

1 - 20 of 32 Posts