Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, before I get flamed for another tire size question, I've DoNE MY RESEARCH!

I'm going to be getting the Yokohama AVS ES100's, but I don't think I want to get stock size, I'd like them to be a little wider, so I could just go a step up and get the 205/50-15's, but the overall diameter would end up being smaller than stock, and the speedometer wouldn't stay as accurate.

The 215/50-15's would only be off by about 1rev/mile, which is nothing... so the speedometer would stay accurate-- BUT, they don't make the ES100's in that size. I wonder if I could go with the 225/50-15's? The reason I was thinking of doing this is because I'd like to get wider tires, that are a little bit bigger (which will hopefully make my wheel gap look smaller...), while affecting the speedometer as little as possible.

I've never heard of anyone with an Integra doing that, the overall diameter is less than .5" larger than stock, so the difference can't be THAT big, right?... but would they be too wide for my rims?

HELP!

EDIT- I just searched TireRack.com and it said that the 225/50-15's will fit a 6"-8" tire... this sound right? I don't want to order tires that won't fit! heh

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I thought the 205 were the stock size on the GSR, at least it was on mine. If your stock size is the 195 I would stay away from the 225. I'm almost posative that they won't work. the 215 would be pushing it but should still work depending on the tire.

Also you mentioned that you wanted to make your wheel gap look smaller, you wont accomplish that with wider tires. you would ahve to up the series, from 205/50/15 to 205/55/15. now that on the other hand will mess up your speedo a bit

Personally I never liked the Yokos (sorry just didnt, too loud and hard as hell) but if that what you want and can get a good deal go for it. good luck

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i have 205/50 and they are fine. anything more than 205 on the 15x6 stock wheel would be too much according to what ive read in the past. im pretty sure the es100's come in 205/50. if you need a close up pic of how the 205/50 looks, just let me know. i have one in my album...somewhere.

205/50 side view
205/50 view from rear

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AlvinHuyN on Feb/04/04 said:
Hm...it sounds like you'll really be pushing it with the 225s Maybe you should just lower your car Caitlin
Ohhh I'm working on it, haha
Having wider tires is always nice though!

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
If you go with a 225 your adding more wieght and making your gearing longer.
You will be hard pressed to get those to fit without doing some fender work or making sure you have the exact right off-set.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I agree with Xue, a 205/50 tire will be fine. According to the tire size calculator, your mph will only be off by 0.5-1.5mph. With 215s and up, rubbing will become a major issue.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
It'll rub while turning on bumby corners as well as doing fast corner turns. I have pair of 225/50/15's on my 15 Rota Slipstreams, but I only use them for the strip. If your car is drop at all, you can just forget about it.

They do look monsterous on a teg. I too a few pictures and I'll try to see if I can locate them.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sak on Feb/05/04 said:
It'll rub while turning on bumby corners as well as doing fast corner turns. I have pair of 225/50/15's on my 15 Rota Slipstreams, but I only use them for the strip. If your car is drop at all, you can just forget about it.

They do look monsterous on a teg. I too a few pictures and I'll try to see if I can locate them.
If you could get me a picture of them, that would be awesome. For some odd reason, my father (the mechanic) is totally opposed to me getting the CORRECT size tires on my car!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Why is he opposed to 195/55?

Here is a pic of a 205/50 compared to a 225/50 on a 15x6 GS-R wheel. This is the only shot I have, though.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
96dc2 on Feb/06/04 said:
Why is he opposed to 195/55?

Here is a pic of a 205/50 compared to a 225/50 on a 15x6 GS-R wheel. This is the only shot I have, though.
Thanks for the pic! It definitely seems way too big and bulky.
Seems my dad thinks that "wider is better", only he takes it to extremes.
His reasoning was, "It's only .8" larger in diameter, and .8" wider, that's not a big difference." Apparently it is though.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I had 205/50/15 on my old hammers heres a pic, and thats with a 3.5" drop

and yes I know thats some mad camber but I was just about to put the camber kit on.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maybe its time to hit up dad for a set of 15x7 rims with maybe 215's

here's my 205/50/15 Advans on my 15x7 rims, 215's would look good and should have the needed clearance. I've heard complaints of 225's rubbing also.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AUTOXER on Feb/06/04 said:
Maybe its time to hit up dad for a set of 15x7 rims with maybe 215's

here's my 205/50/15 Advans on my 15x7 rims, 215's would look good and should have the needed clearance. I've heard complaints of 225's rubbing also.
If you've got 215's on 15x7's, then I know FOR SURE now, that 225's will just be WAY too wide for my dinky 6" wide stock blades!

Yeah, there's just something wrong with putting a 9" wide tire on a 6" wide rim... heh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts