Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

A while ago when I was doing my clock red, I ordered that free sample of window tint from Gila (Many of you recommended this to me). For some reason, I never got the tint, and had to use something else, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, Gila offers some really cool red tint, which I think would look sick on my MR teg. It costs $19.99 for a 24"x6.5' sheet of "Blazing red Xtreme 35% tint". Also, the Film Aid Application Concentrate is $2.00, and Apllication Kit is $4.50. Sounds like a good deal, however, my question is: How hard is it to tint your windows?

I've heard you don't have to take the window out to do it, but sometimes it makes it easier. Would this be something that I should try or not? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
720 Posts
if you do it right, it wont bubble, it's not that hard to do the doors, but like steveyenisch said i would't try the back window. i did my 89 teg with the red tint and it came out nice. so i also did my 94 gs-r with green. i like it, and it's cheaper then paying some one else.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My teg was tinted by the last owner and even the
hatch looks good. There is some minor bubbling
but you won't notice it until you get real close
to the car. Doing the hatch seems like it would
be a real pain in the rear. Time and patience is
key I guess.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pawwalski on Feb/16/04 said:
Hey everyone.

A while ago when I was doing my clock red, I ordered that free sample of window tint from Gila (Many of you recommended this to me). For some reason, I never got the tint, and had to use something else, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, Gila offers some really cool red tint, which I think would look sick on my MR teg. It costs $19.99 for a 24"x6.5' sheet of "Blazing red Xtreme 35% tint". Also, the Film Aid Application Concentrate is $2.00, and Apllication Kit is $4.50. Sounds like a good deal, however, my question is: How hard is it to tint your windows?

I've heard you don't have to take the window out to do it, but sometimes it makes it easier. Would this be something that I should try or not? Thanks in advance!
it would get fraustrating. i think it would be something for you to try on another car to see how it goes before doing it on your car
i recommend just bring the tint to a tint shop and have them do it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'll research how to do it, and practice on some other things first... Maybe tint the windows in my room or something before I try it on the teg =)

It's not 100% that I don't want to pay the money to get it done - but I've found that I REALLY love doing these cool DIY projects on my car... They give me a sense of pride when a project really comes out great, ya know?

I'll let you guys know how it goes - thanks for the replies everyone!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My friend from work did it to his front side windows and rear window. While the front side windows came out okay the rear window did not. He doesn't have bubbles on his rar window, it's more like big patches. He used a blow dryer i think. Good luck. I think i'm going to try this myself soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pawwalski on Feb/16/04 said:
Well, I'll research how to do it, and practice on some other things first... Maybe tint the windows in my room or something before I try it on the teg =)

It's not 100% that I don't want to pay the money to get it done - but I've found that I REALLY love doing these cool DIY projects on my car... They give me a sense of pride when a project really comes out great, ya know?

I'll let you guys know how it goes - thanks for the replies everyone!
you can try this site for tinting reference

·
Registered
739 Posts
Try it if you want but from experience, it is a DIY but it is the total oppsoite of fun. You have to be so careful not to move the tint the wrong way because if it creases its garbage, and it creases easily. If you have never done it before I strongly suggest you dont try it. If you do I would maybe do the side windows or just try the driver window before you do anything else. The rear side windows are harder and the back is impossible. So maybe just do the sides yourself and take it to a shop to do the back, because the rear defrost lines can be f'd up if you do something wrong

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Edited by DeadLock23 at 02/17/2004 08:41:52 AM

I paid to have it done, and it still didnt come out right, so i wouldtn suggest doing it yourself, you need to be patient and have time on your hands to make sure all those bubbles under the tint are gone.  

the rear is also a lot harder, I think they used 2 pieces for mine but it has to be done so you dont see the break in the middle of the window.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just a note to you. I had red tint on my Teg when I bought it(didn't like it and ripped it off ASAP) but just so you know it screws with the colour of lights at night. Everyones head lights are sharp yellow and street lights look funny so be careful.
Just a suggestion on tinting that may help:
When you do the doors take the panels off. This gets rid of the rubber scrapers and makes it easier to get a clean finish at the bottom. Of course the old rule applies: MEASURE TWICE TIMES CUT oNCE!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The few times I have ever seen blue, or red coloured tint, it looked awful every time.

Maybe cuz the jobs were done poorly, plus the windows were hardly tinted - they were just "coloured" red, but not dark or deep at all.
It just looks like those cheap & cheesy red tinted sunglasses you would find at a drug store. The achieved look is pretty juvenile. It might be cool if your car was for showm, but in real life it looks ridiculous.

Also, consider that colour is known to affect moods.
Imagine spending as much time as you do in an angry colour. I would probably be in a permanent state of road rage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.