Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i got the SAFC. Soon, I will get the 370CC injectors. Now I know the advantage of the SAFC is to smooth out the idle with forced induction. How low should I go with 370CC injectors for low throttle 1000RPM through 7000RPM? for high throttle? What should the low and high throttle points be? 10% and 40%? thanks.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You can't really do much with a SAFC on a Honda FI setup, IMO.

With the 370cc injectors, you're going to flood your engine at idle, as you most likly know. With the AFC, I believe the tuning limits are 30% in each direction of the stock ECU's fuel maps. The 370cc injectors are about 54% larger than the 240cc injectors, so you'd have to subtract -54% on the AFC, which is something that can't be done.

I've seen a few turbo hondas with 370cc injectors only being regulated by a SAFC. The idle is poor and they trip the rich CEL #45 all day long. Their settings are full negative until mid RPM, where the boost comes into play. A $35 B&M unit would solve this problem, as I've stated in your other thread, but it's your car. Do what you think is best...

·
Registered
693 Posts
What kit did you buy ? Or is this a custom kit/build ? Why are you running 370's ? Stock injectors are dam fine until your pushing more boost say 10psi and above ! And you really need to have a intake manifold like a Skunk2 OR Victor X to balance this out on the Air side as well.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
The thing is adjusting to the max can cause an out of range error. The AFC doesn't directly control the duty cycle. Going very negative will indicate near-nothing air flow and the ECU will hit the lowest fuel MAP; you cna't go any farther than that.

·
Registered
693 Posts
TurboLS on Aug/06/02 said:
My mechanic said i should get them (strongly recommended) to aviod leaness. Also, Gvtec, i checked the SAFC limits just now, they are 50% in each direction, so think i will be ok with just 4% rich everywhere. what do ya think?
Man...a bit more details...please...I hope your not on a path of problems...I dont like that your using 370's worries me a bit...until I know more details.What kit did you buy ? Or is this a custom kit/build ? Whats the turbo CFM ?

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a custom kit; i am piecing together myself. also, SAFC's are supposed to be able to smooth idles for up to 440CC injectors. I guess maybe it only works with the AFC hack thing, but i dunno, the wiring diagram for the SAFC-controlled fuel injector setup looks stock. apparently you can run 10 psi boost without an FMU or check valves b/c of the AFC's intervention. I am not sure of the turbo CFM, it is a T3, the polished silvery side says .43 i think; the second number is a little blurred.

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, finally put in the 370cc injectors. First, the o-rings supplied with RC injectors did not give enough clearance for the fuel rail mounting screws to be put back on. So i had to take an exacto knife and cut them in half. that seemed to work, no leakage as of yet. Then the tuning came. I had heard -46% was a good idea across the board, i tried it, and my engine would stall. Then i slowly tried decreasing the negativity, and got it to smooth out around -30% across the board. The only discrepency is when i am pulling up to a light and i push the clutch in, the tach looks like it will die (the needle almost hits 0) and then i guess the ECU compensates and brings it back up to about 750RPM. I should also say that I adjusted the IAC valve so much that the intake filter (AEM style) started to whistle at idle. one other thing i noticed while test-driving was the throttle engagement. WHen ever i would let off the throttle and then push it down again, i would feel a jolt, much more pronounced than with the stock injectors. any and all feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You're really just screwing around with the settings it seems like. As I take it- you do not have the turbo installed yet. If that's true, you should honestly try to keep everything as stock as possible for the time being - put the turbo on and tune from there. (ie: Tune the S-AFC back to a reasonable level and screw the IAC back to where it was.)

Since you have the injectors on right now - you may want to lean out everything a bit more to compensate for all of the fuel flow the injectors should be pumping in. Fix that idle and you should be set.

I hope everything works out well for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts