Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Its not the extended drain intervals i am looking for. What it is, is the performance of the motor to hold for time to come. Bringing my car to 8k on race day many times and holding it their is what i am thinking about and personaly i do not care for mobil one anymore it just does not seem to hold up well in my engine.... if that even makes sense
I will burn a half to three quarters of a quart in a oil change interval with M1, and i am not saying thats all the oils fault. Amsoil to tell ya the truth is not much better so i will move on to redline, castrol did pretty good. Hey look i just contradicted myself many times over.lol well rebuild is coming up very very soon. I just want the best for my car exspecialy after the n/a buildup

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Castrol Syntec isn't even a synthetic...Castrol GTX is a great dino oil though...M1 is some of the best protection that you can get...I didn't burn any in my GSR or in my Type R so you need to look other places to find what the problem is because it isn't the oil.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Obviously if you read the whole post the statment was made, Quote:"and i am not saying thats all the oils fault." I know i may have either some blow by " which i do not believe is that" or valve seals, or valve timing needs adjusment. nothing was said about castrol syntec. I believe in Bobistheoilguy.com he states somewhere that M1's new formula sucks in comparison to the old formula they shrank down on some of their best ingredients. Look into the testing

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I don't think any of us are qualified to really say one oil is definetly better than the other.. especially when you start talking about well known high quality oils like redline or amsoil.

You can say "I would pick redline any day of the week", but its more based on other peoples opinions than factoral evidence on which is better.

They are different formulas, but both high quality oils. Its hard to miss with either one. once you start debating over the two its more or less nitpicking.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I based it on the UOA testing I saw over at bobistheoilguy.com Ross. I know you know that site because you're the one that introduced me to it. I read a lot of UOA testings over there so it isn't really based on opinions.

"I believe in Bobistheoilguy.com he states somewhere that M1's new formula sucks in comparison to the old formula they shrank down on some of their best ingredients. Look into the testing"

Woooow, you said that like you meant it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,
I've used synthetic motor oil for several months when I got my car two yrs ago (95 RS) but started using regular oil due to high (3times) cost of synthetic oils (I do 40,000 km a year and that leaves me to change oil every 1-1/2 month).
Anyway, some time ago I read this article
(http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pb/synthetic.htm)
(http://www.motrlube.com/)
and I am almost convinced to try for my next oil change.
what do you think about this guys?
Should I try? should I stick with regular oil?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like Justin stated, Castrol isn't a real synthetic oil anyway. If you look at the tests you'll notice that the Castrol is always at the bottom of the crop. Their GTX outperforms the Syntec. The new Mobil 1 Supersyn is far and away better than the TriSyn was. The TrySyn wasn't a full synthetic either, but the SuperSyn is and it's definately the best oil that you can get on the shelves.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Yeah, there are UOA testings I have seen lots of them.. but those are hard to compair directly. There are a lot of differences that can happen even on the same engine, between two back to back tests.

Again I think its kinda nitpicking once you get to the level of scheaffers, redline, amsoil, etc

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just thought I would put this up. My girlfriends dad had a 91 accord that had 33x,xxx miles on it. He had been using Amsoil ever sense 2x,xxx miles. It did not smoke,leak or burn oil and ran smooth.It would have probably went alot longer but some drunk idiot rear ended him on the interstate, then the insurance totaled the car b/c of the high miles
I was curious to see how long it was going to go for. But for the past 4 yrs I have been using Amsoil and I could not be happier.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Alot of people dont think of the varibles in those test the motors could have damage, or preexisting wear. The person could beat the sh*t out of the vehicle also.

·
Registered
502 Posts
trying to pick an oil sucks and from reading pages and pages of replys im more confused than before... i dont know who to believe!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
until they start filling formula one lumps with something other than mobile one, that's what i'm sticking with.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Look we agree that M1,Redline and Amsoil are great oils! Do we agree?? There's your answer. I personally use Amsoil. I used Castrol before. If you can tell a differance with an oil, it has to be good. Diposites with Amsoil, Bah Humbug!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I recently sold my gsr and it was about to hit a 100k and it burned less oil on when using amsoil than it would m1. I did alot of research on bob is the oil guy and found that amsoil and redline are just great oils dont get me wrong m1 was great but i think a few people have beef with the new formula. I have been a member of bobistheoilguy.com for about a year and whenever you have a question that can not be answered by SEARCHING you can pm bob and more than likely he will resond that day or the next.

·
Administrator
3,908 Posts
@combustion

7 yrs ago you started using AMS - how did it go?
Would you still choose?
I recently learned that its 100% Syn - I am considering. Thanks
He hasn't logged in since 2002

21 - 36 of 36 Posts