Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently changed my oil to amsoil, although the reletively high price $43.00 I am very happy. Things i have notice "I know I know you hear what you want to hear," the motor is much quieter through the rpms, and at idle. Oh by the way I also went from 5-30 to 10-30. Just thought i would tell people that i am happy with this product. So far

·
Registered
203 Posts
You paid $43 for Amsoil?!

Maybe things are just more expensive where you live but I only pay around $6 - $6.50 per qt here in FL.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
To my knowledge, Amsoil is great, and you can run it for an insane amount of miles, but it has a large amount of one substance in it (I forget which, someone will elaborate) which leaves deposits in your engine. I believe that's the one reason I never went to it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thats with a expensive filter, some japanese filter that i checked out and it is the same design as the honda stock one. Oh yes and it was five quarts of amsoil @ 6.85 a quart and filter $6.00 and then of course uncle scams tax

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be copper? or another metal? Because thats what i believe there formula has which others do not. Maybe i will switch again this time to redline. but i would like to flush the motor first. By the way were these deposits found to hurt the motor in any way?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
engine flush=oil change
they add a liquid that supposedly cleans all the deposits.
buy a can of sea-foam for like $5, add like half of the can to the crankcase like 3 days before you do a oil change.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Amsoil does have alot of zinc. If I was going to buy one of those overpriced "boutique" oils I would go with Redline.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SurferX on May/05/03 said:
Amsoil does have alot of zinc. If I was going to buy one of those overpriced "boutique" oils I would go with Redline.
You guys crack me up. Stop with the ignorance. Go to maxima.org and see the huge oil analysis database or all the top oils like Redline, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. You will see how good Amsoil is. No other oil comes close. Their database is from actual people getting their oil analyzed and not marketing hype or hear say. I'm not saying Redline is a bad oil at all. It also shows very good oil analysis results. High zinc will NOT cause engine deposits. Amsoil has very high TBN numbers which is why the oil lasts so long.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com 1fstmax and get the real scoop.

Those guys are experts over there and you'll see that some of them will venture as far to say that M1 is better than Amsoil. Almost all of them will agree that Redline is the best oil you can buy.

As a matter of fact, I was just reading their site a few minutes ago and a lot of them suggest M1 over Asmoil due to the price and availability. A lot of them agree that M1 is a great oil and protects just as well as Amsoil. Amsoil tends to be overhyped.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Louse76 on May/05/03 said:
To my knowledge, Amsoil is great, and you can run it for an insane amount of miles, but it has a large amount of one substance in it (I forget which, someone will elaborate) which leaves deposits in your engine. I believe that's the one reason I never went to it.
Ha, that's funny. Amsoil does not leave deposits in your engine, I don't know where you heard that from.

My money will be on M1 for a long long time. Some of the UOA results that I've seen are incredible for Mobil 1. And the price is pretty nice as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do we know that bobtheoilguy isn't a huge mobil 1 fan? What testing did he do? Show me the numbers and not opinions.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100060

Mobil 1 SuperSyn is leaps and bounds above the Tri-Syn. The Tri-Syn would change viscosity very quickly.

In every credible test I've seen, Amsoil always comes out on top. However, not many people keep their vehicles over 5 years so to be honest, Castrol GTX will get you that far. No motor oil will give you any appreciable hp gains.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
1FSTMAX on Jun/29/03 said:
How do we know that bobtheoilguy isn't a huge mobil 1 fan? What testing did he do? Show me the numbers and not opinions.
He isn't...this is his users doing UOA testing after so many miles...Amsoil does not always come out on top, believe it or not, Mobil 1 holds it's own against Amsoil, but for the money and for the availability, you can't beat Mobil 1.

How do I know you're not bias for Amsoil???? Amsoil is a lot of hype if you ask me. I'll choose redline over Amsoil every day of the week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Jun/29/03 said:
Quote: 1FSTMAX on Jun/29/03How do we know that bobtheoilguy isn't a huge mobil 1 fan? What testing did he do? Show me the numbers and not opinions.

He isn't...this is his users doing UOA testing after so many miles...Amsoil does not always come out on top, believe it or not, Mobil 1 holds it's own against Amsoil, but for the money and for the availability, you can't beat Mobil 1.

How do I know you're not bias for Amsoil???? Amsoil is a lot of hype if you ask me. I'll choose redline over Amsoil every day of the week.
You don't know if I'm biased towards Amsoil. Truthfully, I'll go with whatever oil is the best. I don't care about brand. You are correct, Mobil 1 is definately easy to get ahold of and it's a good oil if your not planning on extended drain intervals. Redline holds up pretty good under extended drain intervals and of course Amsoil holds up great under extended drain intervals. Redline's problem is price. That is one expensive oil price/performance wise.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts